Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 04:10 AM   #2371
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
Chuck,

Looked through my recordings of the '09 Stelvio with the Mistral exhaust (db killer removed)
great video, Steve, captures the sound pretty well
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:34 PM   #2372
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfarson View Post
Chuck,

Looked through my recordings of the '09 Stelvio with the Mistral exhaust (db killer removed) and finally found one where I didn't have a tune attached! Perhaps this will provide some insight to the volume and tone...

Does it sound at all like this at idle?

The Quill EVO2 is the deepest, throatiest, most bad-ass sounding muffler I've ever heard on the Stelvio.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:45 PM   #2373
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 953
Just did a short 400 mile trip 'round the NC/GA/TN mountains with my wife. My '10 Stelvio, Trudy, was loaded down for 2 as we decided it prudent to keep the wife's 250 as light as possible. BTW-I run a Mistral w/ the DB killer and it is NOT a loud muffler...I do not like noisy bikes, and the Mistral w/ the DB killer is far from offensive.

Trudy was flawless all the way up and down the parkway, Wayah Rd, and the other tracks we made.

DLdeano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #2374
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Oddometer: 334
I have to make a decision tonight between a Stelvio NTX and the new Triumph Explorer. Odd I know but I had this Saturday set aside to make the trek up to Northern California where pretty much all the cycle dealers are. This afternoon a Guzzi dealer called and said he got three in stock and will have all of them prepped and ready for tomorrow. I was pretty much set on the Explorer and have the ride ready for tomorrow and tired of waiting for the next bike to get released. So tonight I have to make the decision as the two dealers are quite a bit apart and this will just be a gut decision purchase, crazy maybe but either bike would work with some slight give and takes depending on which one your talking about.

There is just something about the Stelvio that stirred my soul and three years ago really wanted to get one but that anemic fuel capacity kept me away. Fast forward to this spring and I am ready for my first real touring bike and was debating between the Tenere and the Exporer and due to some things was leaning towards the new Explorer over the Tenere; honestly either would fit the bill it's just the Tenere seems kind of utalitarian to me and doesn't really stir my soul. Since no NTX Stelvios were even available a couple weeks ago it really wasn't even on my radar, that call earlier today surely changed that and since I got that call I believe I am heading to the Guzzi dealer in the morning. 32L of fuel, paniers already up and mounted, sump guard in place, hand guards mounted, secondary drive lights installed and even has fairing winglets installed; seems damn near prefect minus that 640 LBS or so. That really does not bug me that much as I realize I want this bike to be a comfortable and stable road bike above and beyond any dirt capability, I guess my street to dirt split to be about 90\10 as I already have a TE610 for the dirt work.

Sorry for the rambling as I get to the actual question I am interested in. I am real curious what the major service intervals are for this newest version of the Stelvio? I know the first service is at 900 miles and I am guessing that is an oil, oil filter, air filter and final drive oil change? Any insight you guys that have one could give me I would definitely appreciate.

K.B.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:59 AM   #2375
OtterChaos
Guzzi Guzzi Guzzi

Oddometer: 378
Looks like 6000 miles (10K kilometers) for changing Engine Oil and Filter, Gear Box Oil, Final Drive Oil and Valve clearance checks which by all accounts is an easy task on a Moto Guzzi.
OtterChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #2376
flying_hun
Moral Hazard

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttrak View Post
This afternoon a Guzzi dealer called and said he got three in stock and will have all of them prepped and ready for tomorrow.
Which dealer?

TheFlyinghun Blog

EuroBARF 2014
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #2377
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post
Which dealer?
Elk Grove Motorsports got them in stock yesterday. Kind of a multi-sport location with watercraft and such. Still debating as I can't make up my mind on these two bikes..

K.B.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #2378
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,748
Quote:
Elk Grove Motorsports got them in stock yesterday. Kind of a multi-sport location with watercraft and such. Still debating as I can't make up my mind on these two bikes..

K.B.

Oh cool, they're just down the road from me...I'll have to go take a look. I wonder how much they'll give for an 1150GS trade-in?
Old 06-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #2379
deWog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Two things i learned about the Stelvio yesterday...

1) It's heavy. Really.......really......heavy.

I took one out for a test ride from a local dealer. Managed to get only a kilometre or so when an oncoming idiot cager turned across my lane (he couldn't see me on the inside of a pantech lorry). I grabbed a fistful of brakes but couldn't stop in time, hit his door and dropped the bike. grrrrrrrhhhhhhhhh!!!!!. I tried to lift it on my own, even adopted the usual squat-down-with-your-back-to-it-and-use-your-thighs technique. No chance (and that was the standard, lighter, version). Ok I was up a slight hill, and dazed from a cut lip, but thankfully 2 other guys came to help. the bike is mighty heavy!

2) It's really bloody amazingly tough!!

After crashing into the car, denting the door, and dropping the bike on its LHS, the only damage to the bike was a snapped clutch lever end, scratched cylinder head plastic, small scratch on the lower edge of the front guard, and cosmetic scratch on the pillion peg and centre stand...amazing!!

I was surely pissed, even as the driver is insisting it's my fault. The dealer was really good about it, I even offered to buy the damn thing (I managed to test ride a GS prior to the Stelvio.....) but he said that if I had my heart set on an NTX then he'd rather I get the bike I want and he'll "arrange" a parts swap or $$ value or some such.

It was interesting sampling the GS vs Stelvio back-to-back. I had a long ride on the GS and in truth it didn't blow me away. The power delivery seemed a bit too clinical, loads of meaty midrange but struggles in the upper revs, and quite an uninspiring exhaust note. Handling was.......well, weird?? I'm sure the tele lever front end is marvellous, and yes it doesn't dive (as much) on hard braking, but it doesn't inspire much feedback either, as if I never quite knew where the front tyre was. For all its travel, the suspension felt hard and harsh (though this could have been the setup), clunky gearbox (I can't believe they still build them this bad) and even with the lower seat / standard GS I struggled to get on and off it with my short height (5'6"). Build quality was lacklustre (a mirror came loose and the nuts aren't easily contra-lacked without tools, and I could smell oil the whole ride).

With the little I sampled on the Stelvio this bike felt far more well-packaged. Ergonomics for my size were perfect, and far more comfortable than the GS, the engine likes to rev (indeed, the heavier, less powerful Guzzi felt much quicker than the BMW....??!), the front end felt more secure on cornering, suspension felt less harsh, get changes smoother, normal (conventional) switchgear, and whole build quality and detailing felt miles ahead of the Bavarian bike....I guess I'll just have to start going to the gym more.....
deWog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #2380
Fasttrak
Captain Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Oh cool, they're just down the road from me...I'll have to go take a look. I wonder how much they'll give for an 1150GS trade-in?

I have to say my experience with this dealer was the best I have had with five other dirt bikes and one Husky TE610. The most painless purchase to date. Sadly, the bike that ended up tugging at my heart and my wallet ended up being the Explorer 1200, it was just a lot less intimidating to me for my first real street bike. The Stevlio is so well appointed it was a hard decision to go against it. Looking over that bike from top to bottom it is obviously built very well, the welds, the flowing lines of the plastics and how they meet up, the fit and finish is truly top notch and for a fully appointed adventure bike, a true steal at $15,999.00. In the end, beyond even it's claimed weight, the stelvio is a very big bike and for me was honestly intimidating. I am happy with the decision I made and in a couple years I could definitely see picking one of these up when I get more time in the saddle on the street, it is just that elegant looking and the exhaust note is truly sublime.

K.B.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:48 AM   #2381
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deWog View Post

1) It's heavy. Really.......really......heavy.

2) It's really bloody amazingly tough!!

..., the only damage to the bike was a snapped clutch lever end, scratched cylinder head plastic, small scratch on the lower edge of the front guard, and cosmetic scratch on the pillion peg and centre stand...amazing!!

With the little I sampled on the Stelvio this bike felt far more well-packaged. Ergonomics for my size were perfect, and far more comfortable than the GS, the engine likes to rev (indeed, the heavier, less powerful Guzzi felt much quicker than the BMW....??!), the front end felt more secure on cornering, suspension felt less harsh, get changes smoother, normal (conventional) switchgear, and whole build quality and detailing ...
deWog,

I've had an opportunity to get into the edges of my Cool Orange NTX and your points above are correct. First, it's heavier than the other shaft drive, large bore AdvTouring bikes. That's always going to be the comment of those who compare the bikes, on a point-by-point basis. But Second, it's built Hell for Stout! Remove those small side fairings and look underneath. It is very solidly built and well packaged, and it's quite well thought out. Things are where they should be and there's not too much extra stuff. And your last point, the engine sure does love to rev. The forward surge when I roll the throttle is really something to feel (and I'm still breaking it in). I guess that's the soul and character Guzzi owners talk about.

I'll look around for ways to reduce the weight so it's easier for me to handle, but, for my heavily loaded, long distance touring and camping trip needs, it's a very solid piece of equipment. I don't think I have to worry about it falling apart on me on the road.

Ride safe.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #2382
murfalert
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
mpg

Has anyone put enough miles on to get a sense of mpg? Are they happy on Regular?
Murf
murfalert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #2383
flying_hun
Moral Hazard

Quote:

K.B.
Thanks. I don't mind riding up from the BA for a visit.

TheFlyinghun Blog

EuroBARF 2014
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:51 AM   #2384
keithn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Laugh

Quote:
I have to make a decision tonight between a Stelvio NTX and the new Triumph Explorer. Odd I know but I had this Saturday set aside to make the trek up to Northern California where pretty much all the cycle dealers are. This afternoon a Guzzi dealer called and said he got three in stock and will have all of them prepped and ready for tomorrow. I was pretty much set on the Explorer and have the ride ready for tomorrow and tired of waiting for the next bike to get released. So tonight I have to make the decision as the two dealers are quite a bit apart and this will just be a gut decision purchase, crazy maybe but either bike would work with some slight give and takes depending on which one your talking about.

There is just something about the Stelvio that stirred my soul and three years ago really wanted to get one but that anemic fuel capacity kept me away. Fast forward to this spring and I am ready for my first real touring bike and was debating between the Tenere and the Exporer and due to some things was leaning towards the new Explorer over the Tenere; honestly either would fit the bill it's just the Tenere seems kind of utalitarian to me and doesn't really stir my soul. Since no NTX Stelvios were even available a couple weeks ago it really wasn't even on my radar, that call earlier today surely changed that and since I got that call I believe I am heading to the Guzzi dealer in the morning. 32L of fuel, paniers already up and mounted, sump guard in place, hand guards mounted, secondary drive lights installed and even has fairing winglets installed; seems damn near prefect minus that 640 LBS or so. That really does not bug me that much as I realize I want this bike to be a comfortable and stable road bike above and beyond any dirt capability, I guess my street to dirt split to be about 90\10 as I already have a TE610 for the dirt work.

Sorry for the rambling as I get to the actual question I am interested in. I am real curious what the major service intervals are for this newest version of the Stelvio? I know the first service is at 900 miles and I am guessing that is an oil, oil filter, air filter and final drive oil change? Any insight you guys that have one could give me I would definitely appreciate.

K.B.
Spoke with the dealer yesterday where I am buying my new ntx, he indicated first service at 1000 miles or 1200km.
keithn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:31 AM   #2385
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,748
Quote:
I have to say my experience with this dealer was the best I have had with five other dirt bikes and one Husky TE610. The most painless purchase to date. Sadly, the bike that ended up tugging at my heart and my wallet ended up being the Explorer 1200, it was just a lot less intimidating to me for my first real street bike. The Stevlio is so well appointed it was a hard decision to go against it. Looking over that bike from top to bottom it is obviously built very well, the welds, the flowing lines of the plastics and how they meet up, the fit and finish is truly top notch and for a fully appointed adventure bike, a true steal at $15,999.00. In the end, beyond even it's claimed weight, the stelvio is a very big bike and for me was honestly intimidating. I am happy with the decision I made and in a couple years I could definitely see picking one of these up when I get more time in the saddle on the street, it is just that elegant looking and the exhaust note is truly sublime.

K.B.

I went and looked at the NTX yesterday, the bags that are a foot wider overall than the handlebars were a little silly...I probably wouldn't want those, I can fab my own stuff to fit better than that.

I was the exact opposite on the Explorer comparo, the Triumph seemed massively bigger than the Stelvio to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murfalert View Post
Has anyone put enough miles on to get a sense of mpg? Are they happy on Regular?
Murf
I had a new demo in 2008 and the mpg's were extremely low during break in, as low as 27 mpg. Right about 2500 miles things were loosening up and I was consistently getting 45 mpg. I ran 87 octane for my whole test.