boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holeshot08 View Post

oil cooler protection cover for Stelvio, 1 series

carbon fiber hugger mudguard for Stelvio by Stucchi Luigi

It is a full load now
Oil cooler protection will not fit the 2012 machines - mines going back tomorrow

The rear brake res protection will fit if you modify the one flap with a dremel to clear the vrash bar
Old 06-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #2402
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,405
Quote:
Looks great, and I really like the tires! Was the Cat converter in the stock exaust? Did you do anything with the air filter?
Thanks for sharing
Cat is in the stock exhaust, the 'Y' pipe just has the 2 lambda probes.

Air filter is oem
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #2403
Holeshot08
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermoose View Post
Oil cooler protection will not fit the 2012 machines - mines going back tomorrow

The rear brake res protection will fit if you modify the one flap with a dremel to clear the vrash bar
If you go to the MFG's site for the cooler they have the 2012 cover. I also am returning one.
Holeshot08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:23 AM   #2404
Holeshot08
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
If you go to the MFG's site for the cooler they have the 2012 cover. I also am returning one.
I Meant go to the site for the cooler cover...Stucchi Luigi.
Holeshot08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #2405
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I don't know yet

I filled up at 256 miles yesterday and it took 5.7 gallons.

Using premium and temps yesterday ranging from 85F to 100F

Not a bad start ... 45mpg, or 5.2 litres per 100km in our lingo.

So you had another 100 miles or so in the tank.

And people say these things tend to be pretty heavy on fuel when they're new .

I like the sound of this.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:50 AM   #2406
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Not a bad start ... 45mpg, or 5.2 litres per 100km in our lingo.

So you had another 100 miles or so in the tank.

And people say these things tend to be pretty heavy on fuel when they're new .

I like the sound of this.
Bear in mind that mileage tends to be better at altitude, and the first 1500 miles, the riding has been from around 6100 ft (my place) to well over 11,000 ft on several passes in the Rocky Mtns.

Still, I was not expecting low-mid 40's during break-in, so I'm happy. In a few weeks when I head up to Canada for a couple of weeks of remoteness....it will be good to know I can cover some ground between fuel opportunites.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #2407
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

When I picked my bike up last week, he'd topped the tank off for me. Out of curiousity I asked him today if he knew how much it took to top it off....fuel tank capacities are rarely as much as advertised.

He put about a half gallon in, rode to the station and it took just over 8 gallons to fill....so pretty much right on the money. I figured the volume might be reduced by the size of the fuel pump or something.

Peace of mind on long trips in Canada up north where stations are few and far between.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #2408
gkaan
Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer: 470
Thumb MCN review of 2012 stelvio NTX

Just read the review on the new Stelvio NTX in Motorcycle consumer news (MCN) and they absolutely loved this bike. They were amazed by how light and well it handled especially with a full tank. The only thing they complained about was the heat from the left cyl head. Glad to see piaggio has Guzzi on the right track!
gkaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #2409
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,526
NTX owners...is the handlebar the newer 'fatbar' 28.6mm down to the standard 22.2mm at the grips, or is it like the '09 and has a 22.2mm bar all the way across?
Old 06-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #2410
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
NTX owners...is the handlebar the newer 'fatbar' 28.6mm down to the standard 22.2mm at the grips, or is it like the '09 and has a 22.2mm bar all the way across?
fatbar

it is not a standard 7/8" bar.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #2411
MadMike20
The Seeker

Oddometer: 29
Took the Plunge

Visited my local dealer in Pennsylvania and ordered a 2012 Lava Black NTX. To arrive sometime in August. Between this forum and the review in Motorcycle Consumer News, the decision was a no brainer. The bike checks off all the boxes including a conventional front end, air/oil cooled, over 8 gallons of fuel, and shaft driven. No other manufacturer has such a beast in their line up. Go Guzzi!
Old 06-23-2012, 05:08 AM   #2412
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
And people say these things tend to be pretty heavy on fuel when they're new
next fillup was more local spirited riding, less hwy droning...

240 miles, 6.1 gallons -- 39.3mpg
Old 06-23-2012, 06:04 AM   #2413
mentalfloss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
next fillup was more local spirited riding, less hwy droning...

240 miles, 6.1 gallons -- 39.3mpg
Blake, I am very glad to hear about your MPG. I wonder what the difference is between the earlier model and the 2012? Is it the second lambda probe? Mapping? Could it be that you are in the mountains? I got a lot better MPG in the mountains. Never the less, Great news. I always said that I do not really care what the MPG is, I just want more range. The performance is so good and I have so much fun riding it that if it got 20 mpg I would still be having a great time.....just looking for a gas station ALL the time.

My 09 started getting better MPG at around 10k miles. I stay around 38 to 40 2 up or solo fast or slow. Real fast slab riding (REAL FAST) 36MPG.

My fuel light still comes on in the 120 - 130 mile range.
mentalfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:06 AM   #2414
mentalfloss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Blake , You could have put another 100 miles on that tank....SWEET ! 350 mile range! Geeze I need to get a 2012......
mentalfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #2415
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
I finally got mine:

You'll notice it's a 2011...that's intentional. 1st generation Stelvios seem more road-biased, and that suits me well, as I'll be hitting the occasional dirt road, but mostly sticking to pavement. I've already got external fuel tanks...just have to get them mounted. And I need to tweak the front and rear preload...it's a little soft right now.

I've only done about 50 miles so far, but my initial impression: I freaking LOVE this bike! It's almost like Joe from the Sopranos called in a favor from the boys in Italy and said "yo...make me an adventure bike." Sort of a strange combination of hot-rod, Harley, BMW, and Ducati. But it works for me. I love the sound...can't wait to get through break-in so I can work it a bit harder and hear her sing. It feels just absurdly overbuilt...a very solid feel to it. I wanted a bike that was solid and planted...definitely got that: yesterday I hit the highway for a bit, and had a 20-30 mph gusty wind coming in from my left and left front, and I wasn't getting pushed around or beat up. Yes it feels heavy, but only when pushing it around the garage. As soon as it's rolling, the weight melts away and it feels very tossable.

The sad part of picking up the Stelvio is that I had to get rid of my Brutale and my Dorsoduro. I just got back from Afghanistan...while I was there, I knew that some issues associated with nerve damage and deteriorating discs in my back and neck were getting worse, but I didn't know how bad. One of the first things I did when I got back was to jump on the Brutale...10 minutes in, it felt like a burning ice pick was being jabbed into my neck and shoulder blade. I lasted 15 on the Aprilia before that sensation set in. Thought it was a quirk, so I tried again and again, with the same results. Seating position is the issue...with the nerve damage, I now have to sit bolt upright...can't do that on the Brute, and the only way I could do it on the Dorso was to crush my nuts against the tank and lean back as far as I could. I knew the Brute and Dorso had to go, and I hated to do it. I loved both of those bikes. But if they cause a lot of pain, I wouldn't ride them much. I just couldn't see keeping them, but I will miss both of them a lot.

So the Stelvio is my only bike. Rode it yesterday for about 50 miles, had a great time, and had no pain at all. I think I'm going to have fun with this one.

One question: the throttle on mine feels like it has very little friction. Is there a way to increase the friction a bit? I'd just like a little more resistance to rolling on the throttle.

Gotta run...need to go hit some of the roads here in Colorado Springs.

'13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
'14 KLR...I love this thing!
soldierguy is online now   Reply With Quote