Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #2881
MLCavassa
What the..??!!

Oddometer: 47
These are the bags I want:

Translation:
"The kit bags dedicated to Moto Guzzi Stelvio is characterized by painted in body color and a total volume of 60 liters. The pair of bags has been designed with the utmost attention to the functionality and finishes. The coupling system the bike has been designed so that fit perfectly in the line of the tail, thanks to specific media bags integrated into the tail, and the unified key makes it practical and functional."

Pricing:
- ~$985/pr Black or Silver
- ~$1,125/pr Orange
Old 08-30-2012, 05:47 PM   #2882
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,576
First Impressions

I took my new Stelvio out for a shakedown ride when I got home from the
dealer. I put about fifty miles on...here is what I think.

What a slick shifting transmission! That has to be one of the nicest gearboxes I haver ever experienced on a motorcycle.

Torque everywhere. Handling is good. My right hand protector buzzes at about 3,500 rpm and is driving me crazy.

The side cases rattle a little when on a bumpy road, anyone else have this problem?

Overall I love the bike!

There's not much info in the owners manual about break in so I kept it under 4,000 for my ride. I now have 53 miles on her.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #2883
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 406
dirtymartini;
Don't baby the engine. The book says to stay below 6.5K and that's probably good advice but you still need to really romp on it in 2-3-4 with some full throttle runs to make sure the rings get seated. OK, this is just my opinion but it really worked on my NTX earlier this month. I just did 4K miles and did not burn a drop of oil. Oh, I changed the oil at 60 miles to clear out any fine metal swarf I had dislodged in that distance. There was almost no swarf on the magnetic drain plug but I like to be safe since I'm stressing the engine early on. My latest oil change, at 4K, was just as clean when it came to the magnetic plug.
As for the rattle from the bags: take a look at the lower part of the rack. You should see two rubber bumpers on each side. They are about 3/4" in diameter. One of mine is already missing. It seems that they stick to the bags when putting the bags on or taking them off, which pulls the bumper out of its hole. I have already ordered 4 new ones and intend to try super glue to hold them in place. I'll also smear some lube on the mating surface so the bags can slide more easily. The rubber bits cost about $1 each from the dealer.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #2884
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
dirtymartini;
Don't baby the engine. The book says to stay below 6.5K and that's probably good advice but you still need to really romp on it in 2-3-4 with some full throttle runs to make sure the rings get seated. OK, this is just my opinion but it really worked on my NTX earlier this month. I just did 4K miles and did not burn a drop of oil. Oh, I changed the oil at 60 miles to clear out any fine metal swarf I had dislodged in that distance. There was almost no swarf on the magnetic drain plug but I like to be safe since I'm stressing the engine early on. My latest oil change, at 4K, was just as clean when it came to the magnetic plug.
As for the rattle from the bags: take a look at the lower part of the rack. You should see two rubber bumpers on each side. They are about 3/4" in diameter. One of mine is already missing. It seems that they stick to the bags when putting the bags on or taking them off, which pulls the bumper out of its hole. I have already ordered 4 new ones and intend to try super glue to hold them in place. I'll also smear some lube on the mating surface so the bags can slide more easily. The rubber bits cost about $1 each from the dealer.
Thanks for that. I was giving it a handful of throttle up to about 4,000 rpm then decelerating. I was on mostly all back roads so I could vary the rpm's quite a bit. I hope to get out tomorrow morning to put some more miles on.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
Old 08-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #2885
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,479
I know I missed the fight already, but your dealer can order the cast wheels for the current Stelvio NTX.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #2886
fisherguzzi
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Share your adventure with MGNOC newsletter

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Repeat after me: "the Stelvio is not a dirt bike".

The bags are pretty beat up and I have to replace the left-side mirror and handlebar controls and the windshield, but there were no injuries to me and I was able to ride the bike 250+ miles back home without any major issues.
James,
I found your story and passed it on to Frank Wedge, editor of MGNOC news. If you like he would like to put your adventure in the newsletter. If interested please contact him at mgnochq@cox.net
It would be a fun article.
fisherguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #2887
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLCavassa View Post
Pricing:
- ~$1,125/pr Orange
Those are the Norge bags, they come in red too - and work pretty well on the 1200 Sport and Breva too.

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #2888
MLCavassa
What the..??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Those are the Norge bags, they come in red too - and work pretty well on the 1200 Sport and Breva too.

You're right - those bags look great on that bike too! I'm really hoping that MG/Piaggio imports the Stelvio 1200 8V (w/ cast wheels) for 2013. Those bags and cast wheels. Sweetness.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #2889
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
dirtymartini;
Don't baby the engine. The book says to stay below 6.5K and that's probably good advice but you still need to really romp on it in 2-3-4 with some full throttle runs to make sure the rings get seated.
+1

The shift light is set at 6500rpm for break in. Light it up. You need to really get on the big girl and give her a thrashing. Up and down through the gears. Don't bounce it off the rev limiter, but don't worry you'll hurt it by blinking the light now and again.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:48 AM   #2890
Mr Grumpy
Old Git.

Oddometer: 102
Those are the standard bags on most of the Stelvios I've seen on this side of the pond. NTX has the big square ones as standard.

There's 2 sets on ebay.co.uk in white at the moment.
item # 251135442147
item # 150809355114

Not screaming in terror, like his passengers!
Mr Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:51 AM   #2891
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
My right hand protector buzzes at about 3,500 rpm and is driving me crazy.
Mine did this, too...drove me nuts.

Try this: Loosen the bar end and the mirror stalk...rotate the handguard slightly forward and snug everything back up. This seemed to "lock" everything in place, or at least stopped everything from resonating.

That, or I cut a ~1/4 inch slice from a rubber hose, and wedged it between the master cylinder and the handguard to absorb vibes. It worked, too, until it wiggled its way out one day on a longer ride.

Both worked worked with mine...and only take a second to try.

DLdeano screwed with this post 08-31-2012 at 05:57 AM
DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 06:02 AM   #2892
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLCavassa View Post

Translation:
"The kit bags dedicated to Moto Guzzi Stelvio is characterized by painted in body color and a total volume of 60 liters. The pair of bags has been designed with the utmost attention to the functionality and finishes. The coupling system the bike has been designed so that fit perfectly in the line of the tail, thanks to specific media bags integrated into the tail, and the unified key makes it practical and functional."

Pricing:
- ~$1,125/pr Orange
I have them. they are pretty good - look better on norge/Breva i think. the Stelvio LH pannier is a bit tight and awkward for space but the thing that really hacks me off is that they leak - the shape means the front top corner isn't clamped so tightly, especially on the left one.

Oh well, everything goes in bags. Mind you - most things leak in the amount of rain we are getting nowadays :/
Old 08-31-2012, 06:46 AM   #2893
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
+1

The shift light is set at 6500rpm for break in. Light it up. You need to really get on the big girl and give her a thrashing. Up and down through the gears. Don't bounce it off the rev limiter, but don't worry you'll hurt it by blinking the light now and again.

-SM
Thanks SM. I'll take that Italian hussy out today and give her the workout she deserves for seducing me
Old 08-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #2894
MLCavassa
What the..??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy View Post
Those are the standard bags on most of the Stelvios I've seen on this side of the pond. NTX has the big square ones as standard.

There's 2 sets on ebay.co.uk in white at the moment.
item # 251135442147
item # 150809355114
Thanks. I'll check these out. They can always be repainted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam R View Post
I have them. they are pretty good - look better on norge/Breva i think. the Stelvio LH pannier is a bit tight and awkward for space but the thing that really hacks me off is that they leak - the shape means the front top corner isn't clamped so tightly, especially on the left one.

Oh well, everything goes in bags. Mind you - most things leak in the amount of rain we are getting nowadays :/
Hmmm.... This is concerning. I always use bag liners, but it sounds like dry bags would make more sense.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #2895
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
Thanks SM. I'll take that Italian hussy out today and give her the workout she deserves for seducing me
I'm liking this bike more every time I ride it. Damn Italian seductress She likes to be ridden hard