Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #3001
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post

-It is heavy. Yes, I already knew it was 660 lbs wet, but it such "avoirdupois" is certainly more apparent when you're pushing the bike around the garage and praying it doesn't fall over. I won't be riding this bike anywhere there's a good chance it will fall--I'll save my DR650 for that.
Hard to imagine this bike is 100 pounds more than an 1150? I still see one in my future, but like you, I doubt I'd do much offroad - seems like it would be a real hassle to pick up...
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #3002
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
FAMSA has a Stelvio specific tank bag - zip it part way off from the base and the base has an opening so you can open the gas cap and fill it up. Note: I have a 2010 model and perhaps the gas cap is located in a slightly different position on the NTX?
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:36 AM   #3003
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
As far as heat...I think it's related more to the exhaust being mostly on the left side, rather than the engine itself.
the crankpin stagger puts the left cylinder closer to your leg than the right....so the folks that have heat issues notice the left side more.

the stock exhaust's catalytic converter is pretty close to the pillion's left leg, and it does hold significant heat... I was glad to get rid of that before the better half and I took our long trip.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #3004
bigtex
Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer: 616
I really like the factory bag system. Mount stays on the bike all the time. I use the little bag around town, perfect for camera, faceshield cleaner, sidestand foot, etc.

Then for big trips, it takes all of about 10 seconds to remove and install the big bag.

bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #3005
Mr Grumpy
Old Git.

Oddometer: 102
Hmmm Cooks the left leg eh?
Well I suppose it'll even me up after having the right one cooked on the Buells.

Not screaming in terror, like his passengers!
Mr Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #3006
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,786
BigTex, how much was the factory tank bag, and what tail bag pictured there?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #3007
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post

Beautiful pic Blake. Is that from last year, or are the aspens already turning?

I'll be up in the high country (Oregon) in a few short days....can't wait!

Re. folks reporting heat from the left side, that cylinder is about 1" closer to the rider than on the right. I had heat concerns as well but as another poster suggested, get your nuts off the tank! I'm 6' w/ 34" inside leg, and by adding 2" bar risers (anti-vibe ROX) I am perfectly comfy and am scooted back away from the tank such that my left shin/knee is about 1.5" away from the left throttle body guard (and that guard gets HOT...don't touch it with bare hands after a ride ). This makes ALL the difference in the world! I wear Kevlar-lined jeans (Draggin' brand....LOVE 'em!) and even in 90+ degree (F) weather, I don't feel any heat from the left side when going down the road. The risers are what did this for me as they allowed me to scoot back and still have a very relaxed riding position with zero (nada, zilch, none) pressure on my hands. Brilliant!

-SM
Sock Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #3008
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Beautiful pic Blake. Is that from last year, or are the aspens already turning?
that was this last weekend... there's a lot of color at altitude but there's still huge stands that haven't turned yet.

Weston Pass is 11,921' (above tree line) and there was big color above 10,000'. The ride up that morning was brisk. I left the house before sunup and it was 29F as I approached Kenosha Pass (10,001') and the snowflake didn't go off (38F) until I got a few miles from Buena Vista
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #3009
bigtex
Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
BigTex, how much was the factory tank bag, and what tail bag pictured there?
No idea on the price, that was back in 2008. Not cheap but I like the concept of two in one.

Tail bag is a Tbags unit I tweaked to use the Givi top rack mechanism. Same idea for me: small tail bag for day to day, pop it off and install the big Givi bag for travel. Works for me.

bigtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #3010
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtex View Post
No idea on the price, that was back in 2008. Not cheap but I like the concept of two in one.
Tail bag is a Tbags unit I tweaked to use the Givi top rack mechanism. Same idea for me: small tail bag for day to day, pop it off and install the big Givi bag for travel. Works for me.
The Wolfman Peak tail bag fits the Stelvio rear rack perfect as well....

Old 09-18-2012, 01:02 PM   #3011
NoobIAm
Far, far from the Garden.

Oddometer: 2,554
NoobIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #3012
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,786
[QUOTE=kirb;19623163]The Wolfman Peak tail bag fits the Stelvio rear rack perfect as well....

That tail bag looks like it was made for that rack! I think there's a good chance a Wolfman tank bag will fit the Stelvio too.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #3013
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
by adding 2" bar risers (anti-vibe ROX) I am perfectly comfy and am scooted back away from the tank such that my left shin/knee is about 1.5" away from the left throttle body guard (and that guard gets HOT...don't touch it with bare hands after a ride ). This makes ALL the difference in the world!
-SM
Did you have an issues with cables when installing the Rox risers? I just ordered some risers from Twisted Throttle but I might return them for the Rox risers. Do you have a part number for them?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #3014
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
I rode one of these today in Spokane on a long test with my wife over a variety of settings today. Phenomenal.

I went to the BMW dealership and told them I had just tested a Stelvio, and I had already tested a Tenere, and asked to test a GS....amazingly they just walked away ( I am 54, serious, and have the bucks). I gained a clear feeling of reluctance on their part to put their 1200 GS up for a comparison. Anyway...I went back and bought the Stelvio. I have had enough of BMW snobbery at dealerships...and I have owned one for over 10 years.

I did want to warn everyone that comparing weights of these lithe bikes is a bit like comparing towing capacities of pickups....they lie.

BMW doesn't include their wheels (?), any of their accessories, and then dare to call it a "wet" weight. Guzi just lays it all out there just like Honda.

Up to a point I have come to realize the "weight" will always matter if picking up a dead lift bike. But any of these that fall to the downward side of a hill will take a crane and three friends. You can not even pick up my Dakar on a downside fall. So what matters to me is the sense of center of gravity and balance when they are doing what they are meant to do.

Mud, sand, deep gravel, .....none of these, including my Dakar, are worth a damn. Until an antigrav device is brought into play I doubt they ever will.

The Stelvio feels quite lithe, while conveying a real man's engine is between your legs....sounds funny...but ride one and dare to disagree.

Tonight...I am a very happy man.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:13 PM   #3015
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
I rode one of these today in Spokane on a long test with my wife over a variety of settings today. Phenomenal.
Tonight...I am a very happy man.
Congrats on your new scoot!

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience at the BMW shop. Some shops are excellent, others....meh. At the end of the day, you got what made you feel all tingly, so it's all good.

Coming up on 2k miles on mine and (knock on wood) it has been flawless. In fact, it's the first flawless bike I've purchased in many years. Everything works, works well, and keeps working. Sounds silly, but you'd be amazed at what hasn't "just worked" on previous bikes....

-SM
Sock Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote