ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #3046
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Oddometer: 263
Unloaded and ready to go. Road 60 miles. Much easier to ride than my Dakar.

Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:47 AM   #3047
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave
 
Sock Monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA, Earth
Oddometer: 1,889
BIG congrats to the new owners!

-SM
__________________
aka NoVector
Current: 2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, 2008 Yamaha WR250R
Gone: Ducati Multistrada, Moto Guzzi Norge, BMW R1200GS, BMW F650 GS Dakar, KTM 520 EXC, Suzuki DRZ400E, and the list goes on.......
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #3048
kirb
should be out riding
 
kirb's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Musky, MI
Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
I had 6 racks made, only one left before I need at least 4 orders to run another batch. $100 shipped ground in the US with SS hardware (rack is 12ga stainless). First PM gets it This might be the last run I do at cost.
__________________
A Ducati, some Guzzi, a KTM, and a Excelsior...Indian in resto.
kirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #3049
Mr. B
Contrarian
 
Mr. B's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Oddometer: 1,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
I had 6 racks made, only one left before I need at least 4 orders to run another batch. $100 shipped ground in the US with SS hardware (rack is 12ga stainless). First PM gets it This might be the last run I do at cost.
I'll take it. PM sent.
__________________
'12 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #3050
swmckinley
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 84
New NTX in Austin, TX

I will jump in and add to NTX pool. I picked mine up about 3 weeks ago and have 2K on the clock. I know that before I bought, I read this whole thread trying to harvest info before I bought one. As a reference I have owned three GSA's 2002,2007 and a 2010. So things that I have added or changed:
1.) Euro turn signal light package from MPH in Houston. The USA spec was horrible and rendered the rear view mirrors worthless.
2.) Mistral can with Fat Duc lambda probes. Sounds better (stock can sounded okay) and saved weight. Fueling better with Fat Duc.
3.) Bar risers- took weight off wrist and allowed me to get away from jugs.
4.) Put front seat adjusters in high position and left rear in low. Helped get my nutz off the tank.
5.) Rear rack from Kirb on the way.
6.) Cortech Mini tank bag. Perfect fit.
7.) Issue with Hella driving lights, kept breaking wires and blowing the bulb (I went thru 3 bulbs) due to vibration. I put a rubber spacer between frame (read crash bar) and light assembly to dampen vibration. I put a star washer on each side of rubber spacer to limit movement. I also increased length of original mounting bolt. So far so good 600 miles.

Things I really like about the bike:
1.) Great engine, the way a motorcycle engine should be.
2.) Tranny is very slick and one the best.
3.) Suspension gives great feedback.
4.) Non linked ABS brakes.
5.) 8.5 gal gas tank.
6.) Dipstick...how easy is that!

Things that I dont like:
1.) Mode and Turn signal too close together.
2.) No auto-turn signal cancel. Is it just me.........?
3.) Wind noise from not so good windshield.

Well thats about it. Thursday this week I head out for 2800 mile trip that will cover 4 days (TX, NM,CO and UT) so I will see how she stacks up in the touring department. I hope to see an improvement in gas mileage on the long road as now I am getting high 30's in town.
__________________
Steve Mckinley
Austin, TX
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
swmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #3051
Hair
Outside the boxer
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Northern New Mexico
Oddometer: 13,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmckinley View Post
I will jump in and add to NTX pool. I picked mine up about 3 weeks ago and have 2K on the clock. I know that before I bought, I read this whole thread trying to harvest info before I bought one. As a reference I have owned three GSA's 2002,2007 and a 2010. So things that I have added or changed:
1.) Euro turn signal light package from MPH in Houston. The USA spec was horrible and rendered the rear view mirrors worthless.
2.) Mistral can with Fat Duc lambda probes. Sounds better (stock can sounded okay) and saved weight. Fueling better with Fat Duc.
3.) Bar risers- took weight off wrist and allowed me to get away from jugs.
4.) Put front seat adjusters in high position and left rear in low. Helped get my nutz off the tank.
5.) Rear rack from Kirb on the way.
6.) Cortech Mini tank bag. Perfect fit.
7.) Issue with Hella driving lights, kept breaking wires and blowing the bulb (I went thru 3 bulbs) due to vibration. I put a rubber spacer between frame (read crash bar) and light assembly to dampen vibration. I put a star washer on each side of rubber spacer to limit movement. I also increased length of original mounting bolt. So far so good 600 miles.

Things I really like about the bike:
1.) Great engine, the way a motorcycle engine should be.
2.) Tranny is very slick and one the best.
3.) Suspension gives great feedback.
4.) Non linked ABS brakes.
5.) 8.5 gal gas tank.
6.) Dipstick...how easy is that!

Things that I dont like:
1.) Mode and Turn signal too close together.
2.) No auto-turn signal cancel. Is it just me.........?
3.) Wind noise from not so good windshield.

Well thats about it. Thursday this week I head out for 2800 mile trip that will cover 4 days (TX, NM,CO and UT) so I will see how she stacks up in the touring department. I hope to see an improvement in gas mileage on the long road as now I am getting high 30's in town.

Good God man, why would anyone in their right mind want to move their hands away from the jugs?

A lot of good write ups on this bike. I wish that the MPG was a bit higher.
Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #3052
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred
 
dirtymartini's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Harveys Lake, PA
Oddometer: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmckinley View Post
2.) Mistral can with Fat Duc lambda probes. Sounds better (stock can sounded okay) and saved weight. Fueling better with Fat Duc.
3.) Bar risers- took weight off wrist and allowed me to get away from jugs.
4.) Put front seat adjusters in high position and left rear in low. Helped get my nutz off the tank.
.
What Mistral can did you get? What's the story with the Fat Duc Lamda probes? I was thinking of doing the Guzzi Tech ECU re-flash.

What risers did you get?
__________________
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #3053
Mr. B
Contrarian
 
Mr. B's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Minneapolis
Oddometer: 1,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmckinley View Post
6.) Cortech Mini tank bag. Perfect fit.
Which tank bag is that? I'd love to see a pic. I'm searching, but I've only found the Mini magnetic tank bag and the super mini tank bag. Obviously, a magnetic tank bag won't work with a plastic tank.

I haven't had a problem with my driving lights so far after 1100 miles. I hope it doesn't become a problem.

Earlier in this thread I posted a pic of the Wunderlich Wind Deflector. It works very well for me. It even deflects most of the bugs from my face shield.

It's not just you--I was surprised to find my expensive modern MC didn't have self-cancelling turn signals. C'mon, really?

I agree about the positioning of the turn signal switch and the "mode" switch. Others have said it isn't a problem after a while.

All that being said, I really love the Stelvo!
__________________
'12 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Mr. B screwed with this post 09-25-2012 at 09:31 AM
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #3054
James Adams
Not a Texan
 
James Adams's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Hell (a.k.a. Texas)
Oddometer: 7,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
What's the story with the Fat Duc Lamda probes?


I used the FatDuc O2 Manipulator on my Ducati GT1000 and it worked perfectly.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:07 AM   #3055
swmckinley
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 84
Hair - thats just plain funny

Mr. B - Its a Cortech Super Mini strap version that I have had for a few years, nice and small and carries the stuff I need. As soon as funds allow I will try the wind deflector.

Dirtymartini- The mistral carbon fiber as it gives the most weight savings and the Rox risers. The only cables that needed to re-route were the throttle. I took apart the throttle assembly re-routed cables and re-assembled throttle. My dealer AF1 suggested Fat Duc and I said okay. Adjustable O2 enricher is what it is.
__________________
Steve Mckinley
Austin, TX
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
swmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #3056
swmckinley
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 84
Coretech Super Mini

Here is a link with a photo of the Coretech Super Mini.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...1&s=automotive
__________________
Steve Mckinley
Austin, TX
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
swmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #3057
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred
 
dirtymartini's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Harveys Lake, PA
Oddometer: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmckinley View Post
Dirtymartini- The mistral carbon fiber as it gives the most weight savings and the Rox risers. The only cables that needed to re-route were the throttle. I took apart the throttle assembly re-routed cables and re-assembled throttle. My dealer AF1 suggested Fat Duc and I said okay. Adjustable O2 enricher is what it is.

Thanks for the info...any idea where I can get the Fat Duc's? I found their website but only found applications for Ducati.
__________________
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #3058
swmckinley
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 84
AF1 racing in Austin Texas got it for me. They are a well known Apirlia dealer that sells many parts on the Web. Cal John Francis up and tell him Steve sent you. I not affiliated with them nor do I receive any compensation from them.
__________________
Steve Mckinley
Austin, TX
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
swmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #3059
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred
 
dirtymartini's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Harveys Lake, PA
Oddometer: 2,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmckinley View Post
AF1 racing in Austin Texas got it for me. They are a well known Apirlia dealer that sells many parts on the Web. Cal John Francis up and tell him Steve sent you. I not affiliated with them nor do I receive any compensation from them.
Thanks, Looks like they are backordered right now. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see when they will be back in stock.
__________________
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #3060
stevie88
That's gotta hurt
 
stevie88's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: The place dad always warned me about
Oddometer: 17,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
Unloaded and ready to go. Road 60 miles. Much easier to ride than my Dakar.

Hey, you're on my bike.
__________________
In Russia we have saying, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it". We also say, "if it is broke, don't fix it".
stevie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014