Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #3076
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobIAm View Post
It looks cool… but something caught my eye…. if the edges/corners of the cuts aren't radiused (cuts left as raw 90 degrees), won't that be destructive to luggage and strap fabrics? Might need to be touched up with a Dremel.
It's not as sharp as it looks, but due to the laser start/stop points there are a few items that could use a file for touchup. It has a very slight 'edge of a quarter' feel due to the on/off nature of how a laser cuts. I thought I would have to spend an hour touching up edges, but it just doesn't need it for the most part.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #3077
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295

A beautiful day in Montana,pic near Yellowstone Club, I finally put a total of 181 miles on, or 100 miles today. Both my wife and I decided we could easily have doubled that with the stock seats....may indeed do that tomorrow. Near Big Sky it is hard to find Aspens.

This motorcycle runs really smooth and is easily one half the effort of my F650GS Dakar. I hadn't run a motorcycle since my 1981 Honda 750K until I got my 2001 Dakar. The Guzzi just oozes through the curves.

So far 41.2 mpg, but that includes my showing off to the daughters....the acceleration is off the charts!
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #3078
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Well today I filled up before the next ride and found the computer said 41.2 but the math says 43.97.

Rode today through rolling hills and some twisties at about 70 mph two up. Noted 51.5 at the end of the ride. Not bad for a bike with 200+ miles.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:27 AM   #3079
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
Well today I filled up before the next ride and found the computer said 41.2 but the math says 43.97.

Rode today through rolling hills and some twisties at about 70 mph two up. Noted 51.5 at the end of the ride. Not bad for a bike with 200+ miles.
Wow, I'd be thrilled to get that kind of mileage. Most of the reports I've seen say the bike computer is optimisitc, not the other way around.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:31 AM   #3080
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Wow, I'd be thrilled to get that kind of mileage. Most of the reports I've seen say the bike computer is optimisitc, not the other way around.
Yesterday my low fuel light went on right at 250 miles and took 5.998 (call it 6 ) gallons. The computer was within 1 mpg of the actual 41.7 I got, on the optimistic side.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #3081
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post

In my biz, I have a certified scale and get to deal with the folks in the state capital that regulate these, and gas pumps. The guy is pretty cool and tells stories about which gas stations to avoid because their pumps are messed up.

That said, a pumping giving you less gas than the scale said would make your gas mileage number be lower than true.

Still, an interesting story.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #3082
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,828
Cooked goose

Just back from a 7day 4000mile Colorado and SW ride

Funny but the computer consistantly shows Texas tank mpg as sub 40 (as low as 35mpg yesterday in the wind and rain) while everywhere else I could get a tank avarage of up to 47mpg without sparing the horses
Old 09-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #3083
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,618

That's what you get for not being respectful of the Navajo holy place (Shiprock).

Still pleased with the bike?
Old 09-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #3084
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
Still pleased with the bike?
Actually the officer was cool and left me with a warning (70 in a 55)

Right at 9k miles with few minor issues - the OEM aux lights are crap and have been replaced with Twisted throttle LED's. Of the 4k miles of this trip temps from 100 to below 32 (going over Monarch pass at the summit in the snow and slush I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to see how much below it got)

Yesterday I left Boerne at 6pm in the heavy rain right thru downtown SA with extremely heavy rain to Luling - no issues and the lighting is great

I think all the discussion about MPG is because there are no other major issues - ofcourse I have to pull the plug on the CARC and see if there is any moisture in the oil

Rear Stock Scoprs lasted 7k miles - had a direct replacement done at Woodys as the front is still fine. Probably go to Anakee's next as I do little offroad

Dirty Girl - 30miles in the rain and dirt on CO RD 12 (Kettleback pass?)

Old 09-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #3085
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Yesterday my low fuel light went on right at 250 miles and took 5.998 (call it 6 ) gallons. The computer was within 1 mpg of the actual 41.7 I got, on the optimistic side.
On my way to teach an MSF class this AM my low fuel light came on at 196 miles

I filled up and it took 6 gallons.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #3086
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 413
Dirtymartini; 6 gal in 196 miles sounds like something ain't right. If that holds for more than a tank or two I'd have to wonder if something is wrong. With that said, my Multistrada 1000DS (same ECU as far as I know) would get horrible mileage if ridden in the rain or in really cold weather. The oil temp had to get over about 140F before the ECU thought the engine was warm enough to get beyond a cold start status. It was common to block the oil cooler in the winter so the engine temp could get above 150F. Mileage in the low 30s was common for a chilly rainy day when evaporation cooled the oil too much. Any chance that's in play here? The NTX has a huge oil cooler.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #3087
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Dirtymartini; 6 gal in 196 miles sounds like something ain't right. If that holds for more than a tank or two I'd have to wonder if something is wrong. With that said, my Multistrada 1000DS (same ECU as far as I know) would get horrible mileage if ridden in the rain or in really cold weather. The oil temp had to get over about 140F before the ECU thought the engine was warm enough to get beyond a cold start status. It was common to block the oil cooler in the winter so the engine temp could get above 150F. Mileage in the low 30s was common for a chilly rainy day when evaporation cooled the oil too much. Any chance that's in play here? The NTX has a huge oil cooler.
I'm going to keep a close eye on it. I think this is the first full tank I've run through since the first service. Something doesn't seem right....my mileage was close to the tripmeter before.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #3088
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

I should mention yesterday my wife and I got caught in a drenching, cold rain near Big Hole Montana....not at all in the forcast. I was rather impressed by how well my new Schuberth helmet and the Stelvio handled the mess. It got down to 43 degrees at one point. My mileage dropped to 47 mpg in that cold deluge.

Admittedlly I have not had much time on this machine, but at this time I would be willing to say the following. Not oftern does something that one buys exceed their expectations. At this point in time the Stelvio is doing exactly that.

I find riding it with the onboard mpg going is like driving my Ecoboost F150,,,that is to say it is educational. If you pay just a little attention you can really get a lot better mileage while putting grins on your face. On the Ecoboost forums you will find the occassional guys bitching about the mileage but in the end it comes down to the same thing...their driving habits. This is not to say you can't go blitzing around from time to time, its more the little consistent things that don't add, and sometimes subtract actually from the riding experience that may kill the mileage.

Each machine has its idiosyncracies, thanks to the onboard computer you have the opportunity to study. However based on some of these pics with that much stuff on board and that kind of weather who would think they would get into the 50's. By the way I have been over that same pass in the snow on a Honda 750K with Vetter...it was scary:)
Old 09-29-2012, 03:01 PM   #3089
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

I should say I am not pointing my finger at anyone, I just note the wide differences in MPG in all the machines across the forum.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #3090
ajford01
Explorer

Oddometer: 1
Hi guys, just traded up to a Stelvio 8V from a WeeStrom after reading all the good reports on the bike. Still getting used to the extra grunt! Out of curiosity what does everyone have their suspension set to? Never had a bike with so many adjustments! WeeStrom was fine on standard settings.
ajford01 is offline   Reply With Quote