Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 04:08 AM   #3106
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
The stock Hella aux lights have a reflector hood on the left left light that cuts the beam spread dramatically down. I assume this is a regulatory-inspired feature to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. The right lamp does help and I have mine splayed outward a bit to illuminate the roadside areas. For me, these lights are mostly helpful as conspicuity lighting.

On my BMWs, I normally have HID or led aux lighting to fill-in some much-needed candlepower.

Sheeze, with the Stelvio and its twin H-4 headlamps, I really do not see a need for more lighting. At one time I thought about adding twin HID H-4 conversions to the heads but, lordy, I see no need in it.

For those wanting to really "fry the weeds," many auxiliary offerings are out there.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #3107
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobIAm View Post
I keep hoping to see someone make an accessory lens set for the Clearwaters that'll make them street worthy. Maybe a diffuser fronted by a fresnel would do it… as it'd have to be a custom 3-in-1 fresnel otherwise.
Street worthy? I've had mine on for 20k miles or more and they've been perfect No issues. I would like to see Clearwater make a screen/mesh protector for them for offroad work though.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #3108
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
I finally got around to installing my Oxford heated grips..I decided to use the Oxford controller instead of hunting for the factory connectors and splicing and soldering. Using the switch bracket that came with the package I mounted it on the clutch perch and it looks like it belongs there! Someday when I have to remove the gas tank I may splice it into the OEM connectors but right now I am happy with how they look. Wow do they heat up nice!
You don't have to remove your tank to get at the factory heated grip connectors. Remove the left side panel and fish around to the right of where the factory TomTom GPS connector lives. The connectors are small(ish) and white, and are marked for left and right (SX and DX....don't ask me which is which 'cause I don't remember).

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #3109
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 408
SX should be the left one....sinistra in Italian, destra is right so DX.

on an earlier post, are you saying that your Gerbing heated vest drew more power than the fuze could handle? I would have thought that the maximum draw for most vests would be in the order of 7.5A (90 watts at 12 volts). If a vest will overload the wiring I guess I'll have to wire direct to the battery.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #3110
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
That's not normal and shouldn't be happening.....and it's not because the oem battery is lacking. I've read one other person mention this over on Guzzi Tech. I'd have the shop look at it and see what's up.
Yeah I gotta take a pic and send it to the dealer - my ASSumption is that the sealed battery is venting thru the terminal blocks as a manufacturing defect and causing this

I've read a couple other notes about this on newer Guzzis (mostly Norges IIRC) but never remember any sort of resolution

As for the Oddesey - they seem to last better in the Houston heat then other sealed units so it's a pretty standard swap out I do
Old 10-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #3111
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
SX should be the left one....sinistra in Italian, destra is right so DX.

on an earlier post, are you saying that your Gerbing heated vest drew more power than the fuze could handle? I would have thought that the maximum draw for most vests would be in the order of 7.5A (90 watts at 12 volts). If a vest will overload the wiring I guess I'll have to wire direct to the battery.
I figured my Gerbings liner to be around 65 watts or so. I measured 2.2 ohms through the liner, about 5.5 amps or so. Enough to open the 5 amp.fuse when the controller was turned all the way up.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #3112
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermoose View Post
As for the Oddesey - they seem to last better in the Houston heat then other sealed units so it's a pretty standard swap out I do
I lived in Las Vegas for 8 yrs....never had a bike battery last more than a couple of years in that heat.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:24 AM   #3113
swmckinley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Just got back from a 2800 mile trip over 5 days that included TX,NM,AZ and Utah. I wanted to find out out what the Stelvio was like on the long road. Bottom line is the bike is great for my mission, which is touring.
1.) First day was spent on I-10 getting out of Texas where speeds were 85 mph + and I saw 38 mpg average over 2 tanks.
2.) Second day Fort Stockton to Show Low, AZ was a 600 mile + day @ 75 mph returned a 42 mpg day.
3.) Third day Show Low, AZ to Torrey UT (600+ miles)@ 65 mph average returned 46 mpg.
4.) Fourth day Torrey, UT to Lubbock, TX (850+miles) 80+ mph saw 45 mpg.
5.) Fifth day Lubbock, TX to Austin, TX (370 miles) @ 75 mph saw 42 mpg.

So mpg is improving as bike gets miles on her. She has 5K on her now. The stock seat is wonderful. Best stock seat I have ever been on. The Hella aux lights keep on breaking, but only the right one, been thru three bulbs. Has not used any oil. I saw all kinds of weather from 100+ down to 40 degrees with rain and the bike did not miss a beat. Good weather protection, and sure footed in the wet stuff.
swmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #3114
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmckinley View Post
Just got back from a 2800 mile trip over 5 days that included TX,NM,AZ and Utah..
I just did the same but included some of CO for almost 4k miles - ran into a bunch or rain thru West Texas into Luling

Checked my CARC gear oil last night and it was contaminated with water -will be doing the remote breather thing ASAP - will post pics later
Old 10-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #3115
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,507
Quote:
I just did the same but included some of CO for almost 4k miles - ran into a bunch or rain thru West Texas into Luling

Checked my CARC gear oil last night and it was contaminated with water -will be doing the remote breather thing ASAP - will post pics later
Do you have a link to any info on the remote breather mod? This makes a lot of sense and I guess it would also apply to the GSes too.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #3116
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,813
Quote:

Riding in the rain is almost unavoidable. Even water crossings can be expected on some rides.

I'd love to see how it's done. Plz let us know what parts are involved. I'm also curious how you remove that breather vent on the CARC.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #3117
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
.. Plz let us know what parts are involved. I'm also curious how you remove that breather vent on the CARC.
The breather vent just unscrews from the main housing with a typical right hand thread. I bought a banjo bolt from NAPA (their P/N 82703, $2.66) with the Metric 10mm thread for replacement. For the connection, I had an old BMW rubber brake hose with banjo fittings on both ends, so I cut off one end. I bought 3 ft. or so of rubber vacuum hose from the local parts house to slide over the banjo fitting and ran it along the CARC arm and then up under the fuel tank. A few zip-ties to hold it in place.
Edit: I used a couple of copper gaskets on the top/bottom of the banjo fitting to seal it.
Ride safe.

Chuck in Indiana screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 10:43 AM Reason: Add one sentence
Chuck in Indiana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #3118
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
The breather vent just unscrews from the main housing with a typical right hand thread. I bought a banjo bolt from NAPA (their P/N 82703, $2.66) with the Metric 10mm thread for replacement. For the connection, I had an old BMW rubber brake hose with banjo fittings on both ends, so I cut off one end. I bought 3 ft. or so of rubber vacuum hose from the local parts house to slide over the banjo fitting and ran it along the CARC arm and then up under the fuel tank. A few zip-ties to hold it in place.
Edit: I used a couple of copper gaskets on the top/bottom of the banjo fitting to seal it.
Ride safe.
Thanks I'll watch for your pix.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #3119
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
...I'll watch for your pix.
I haven't learned how to do that yet. The word description is the best I can do.
Chuck in Indiana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #3120
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 743
If you're so inclined and don't want to hunt for parts, Pete Roper makes a kit that bolts right on. You can find it by searching on Guzzitech.com
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote