Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #3196
bigtex
Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer: 638
"Schwing!" That is really nice. I love my Stella, but I hate to see you give up that purty thang.

bigtex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #3197
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
You may want to consider listing it on the Wildgoose website. You will probably get more people looking at it that really understand what it is.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:03 PM   #3198
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
You may want to consider listing it on the Wildgoose website. You will probably get more people looking at it that really understand what it is.
+1

List it on http://wildguzzi.com. This site is fine for Adv riding freaks and geeks, but not so much for Tenni Guzzis. You'll sell it over there in no time, to someone who will really appreciate it.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #3199
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
They just came out with an NTX-specific screen with cutouts on the side to avoid this issue, too. Mine will be here next week.
Let us know how it works....A different windshield is on my short list of farkles.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #3200
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 398
Today I finished a spirited 2150 mile jaunt on the NTX, from Portsmouth, VA to Birmingham, Al and then to Maggie Valley, Nc and parts of Tn...to include The Dragon. We had at least 75 miles of what could only be called fire roads because they were rock/gravel 4WD tracks through national forest land. The Big Girl was a real trooper on both the twisties (about 1,500 miles), slab (another 500 miles) and off road. Overall I saw about 42.7 mpg but the real figure seemed to be getting better with more miles. The trip function seems to reset after 999. On my last tank, with a steady 62 MPH and about 3800 rpm I was showing 47 MPG. In short, the bike runs better as the miles run up. I'm at about 6700 miles now.

BG has a re-flash from Redline and I have no complaints. There is some popping on decel but no surging and no flat spots anywhere on the rev range. One comment: in 1st gear at just above idle it's too easy to bring on the power if I'm trying to negotiate a crappy rocky or gravel strewn two track...probably more of a problem with my technique than the bike.

Leafman and I compared notes since he has what should be an identical bike, his being about 3 months older. We saw differences with the spot lights, both lenses and mounting. He also saw that my hard bags had latches and gaskets that are different from what are on his bike. I suspect there have been running upgrades from the factory.

Damn, what a wonderful motorcycle!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #3201
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Leafman and I compared notes since he has what should be an identical bike, his being about 3 months older. We saw differences with the spot lights, both lenses and mounting.
I think he mentioned a lens hood over the left Hella aux light on his....and mine doesn't have that - so I was wondering about running production changes on little things. Mine was maybe the first NTX in Colorado, 2nd week of June.

10,500 trouble free miles.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:28 PM   #3202
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
I think he mentioned a lens hood over the left Hella aux light on his....and mine doesn't have that - so I was wondering about running production changes on little things. Mine was maybe the first NTX in Colorado, 2nd week of June.

10,500 trouble free miles.
Mine doesn't have that either. I bought in CO in July.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #3203
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

The lens hood is actually where the glass is different, not a metal hood per se. When you look at his left light you can see a clear line across the lens and the upper part is sorta frosted so that light will throw out a beam with a cutoff. My bike was delivered in August and does not have that cutoff. My bags also have different latches and the gasket is different, probably sealing better.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #3204
James Adams
Not a Texan

My dad always keeps a little paper notebook in his cars to track mileage over time (he's a little bit of a data nerd ) and I've continued the habit. I track the gas mileage on my road-going vehicles using Fuelly. It's handy, you can add fill-ups via SMS so you don't have to have a smartphone.

I haven't ridden the Stelvio since the "incident" in August, but the parts to fix it are coming next week!

For comparison

If I can commute all winter on the Stelvio that will make up for the repair costs.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #3205
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Ok...perhaps I'm mildly retarded. I've been accused of that before.

How do I get the wiring OUT of the mirrors? Cut it near the base of the mirror stem? Or is there a way to disassemble the mirrors that I'm just not seeing?

I've got the euro mirrors and fairing mounted turn signals that I want to install. I'd rather not needlessly break the stock mirrors & signals in case I need a spare at some point, or someone else does. And I'd rather have longer wires than shorter...easy to trim long wires, but not as easy to lengthen short ones.

I see the little phillips-head screw underneath the amber lens on the mirror. I removed that already, and removed the amber turn-signal cover on the front of the mirror. I just can't seem to get any further without feeling like I'm about to break the plastic reflector or mirror housing.

If anyone has any tips on doing this, I'm all ears. I think I've got it once I get the wiring out of the mirror stem...just have to figure out how to wire up the new turn signal housing once I get everything disassembled.

Thanks in advance!

'14 KLR650 New Edition
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
soldierguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:40 PM   #3206
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
Ok...perhaps I'm mildly retarded. I've been accused of that before.

How do I get the wiring OUT of the mirrors? Cut it near the base of the mirror stem? Or is there a way to disassemble the mirrors that I'm just not seeing?

I've got the euro mirrors and fairing mounted turn signals that I want to install. I'd rather not needlessly break the stock mirrors & signals in case I need a spare at some point, or someone else does. And I'd rather have longer wires than shorter...easy to trim long wires, but not as easy to lengthen short ones.

I see the little phillips-head screw underneath the amber lens on the mirror. I removed that already, and removed the amber turn-signal cover on the front of the mirror. I just can't seem to get any further without feeling like I'm about to break the plastic reflector or mirror housing.

If anyone has any tips on doing this, I'm all ears. I think I've got it once I get the wiring out of the mirror stem...just have to figure out how to wire up the new turn signal housing once I get everything disassembled.

Thanks in advance!
You should be able to follow the wiring and just disconnect the connector; the Euro turn signals should use this same connector.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #3207
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Soldierguy...STOP! I just did this mod yesterday. First, follow the wiring down from the handlebar area to somewhere behind the blacked out turn signal. It is probably easiest to take off the side panel first (have to take it off anyway to replace the turn signal with the Euro one). You will find a connector where the mirror mounted unit plugs into the wiring harness. That same plug (on the harness side) will go to the euro light. There is no need to cut anything.

The larger problem will be when you have to take the two plastic panels apart so you can actually install the new lens assembly. You will find that the two panels are held together by 5 push on 5mm clips. These buggers are a one time use item. I ended up cutting the metal clips apart so I could get them off without breaking the plastic studs they attach to. You will see what I mean just as soon as you get the side panel off the bike. Temporarily I have put everything back together using 5mm nuts but that's not a good long term solution. Today I went to Redline and ordered the correct parts. These are called 'spring clip 5mm" and cost $2 each. The price is insane but I can't find these darn things anywhere else on the planet.

I installed mirrors off a 1200 Sport and suddenly everything is crystal clear in the mirrors. The turn signals work and look much better than what came on my NTX. Best of luck.

BTW, my wife is convinced we saw you just outside Ft. Carson about a month ago. Hi-viz jacket?

Peter Y.

pyoungbl screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 12:49 PM Reason: spelling
pyoungbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #3208
soldierguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Soldierguy...STOP! I just did this mod yesterday. First, follow the wiring down from the handlebar area to somewhere behind the blacked out turn signal. It is probably easiest to take off the side panel first (have to take it off anyway to replace the turn signal with the Euro one). You will find a connector where the mirror mounted unit plugs into the wiring harness. That same plug (on the harness side) will go to the euro light. There is no need to cut anything.

The larger problem will be when you have to take the two plastic panels apart so you can actually install the new lens assembly. You will find that the two panels are held together by 5 push on 5mm clips. These buggers are a one time use item. I ended up cutting the metal clips apart so I could get them off without breaking the plastic studs they attach to. You will see what I mean just as soon as you get the side panel off the bike. Temporarily I have put everything back together using 5mm nuts but that's not a good long term solution. Today I went to Redline and ordered the correct parts. These are called 'spring clip 5mm" and cost $2 each. The price is insane but I can't find these darn things anywhere else on the planet.

I installed mirrors off a 1200 Sport and suddenly everything is crystal clear in the mirrors. The turn signals work and look much better than what came on my NTX. Best of luck.

BTW, my wife is convinced we saw you just outside Ft. Carson about a month ago. Hi-viz jacket?

Peter Y.
Thanks! I appreciate the info. I'm not in any hurry, especially when the possibility of cutting stuff comes into play. So I stopped, posted the question, then took off for a bit to run some errands.

And yeah, that was probably me outside of Carson. I always wear something high-vis. I think I'm the only white Stelvio in town.

Cheers!

'14 KLR650 New Edition
SOLD: '13 Wee-Strom, hacked, re-geared, Ohlins suspension
My Wee-Strom Hack
soldierguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #3209
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldierguy View Post
And yeah, that was probably me outside of Carson. I always wear something high-vis. I think I'm the only white Stelvio in town.
I'm pretty sure I've seen you around here a few times as well. I'm the black one in town.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #3210
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,575
My Stelvio has developed a problem with the Instrument panel display...I turned the key on and started the bike, it started running on one cylinder then the display went black. I shut the bike off and re-started. It ran on one cylinder for a few seconds then both, then back to one cylinder then back to both again. It seemed to be ok so off I went. About a mile down the road it cut out to one cylinder around 5,000rpm then my display went black again.
Once again it came back on both cylinders, but the display stayed blank.

I got to my destination and shut the bike off. I was in the store about ten minutes. When I turned the key on my display came back. Once again it started running on one cylinder, cleared up but this time the display had a bunch of lines through it and stayed that way all the way home.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is online now   Reply With Quote