Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #3226
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
I just got my mirrors/turn signal kit today. I hope they're as easy to install as you guys say because there are no instructions. I'm going to try mounting them today (right after I check the ground connections on my starter).
Assuming you're talking about a '12 model, they're plug and play, but taking the side panels apart to get the turn signal lens in place is a PITA. Guzzi used these "one time use" washers-from-hell that "bite" into plastic posts and hold the two pieces together. Don't bother trying to visualize it, you'll see exactly what I'm talking about once you get the side panels off.

Don't despair though! There's a bit of a trick to getting those little bastards off without snapping the plastic posts off. Use a very fine tip blade screwdriver and pry up a few of the "petals" of the washer that holds it secure against the plastic post. Once you pry up 2-3 of them, the washer will slide off. To re-use the "one time use" washers , just smash the petals flat again (I used a hammer....'cause I was pissed), position the washer over the center of the post, and press on using one of those screwdrivers that have the replaceable bits in the end, but with no bit in the end. It fits perfectly and is just the ticket to get those little boogers back on. Viola!

The rest is a cake walk, and the results are well worth the time spent. As a bonus, you'll actually be able to SEE things in your new mirrors!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #3227
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,580
How about some pics of this setup, I want to see if it's worth it....
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #3228
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,507
FWIW, AF1 has the Guzzi heated grips for around $115.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:11 PM   #3229
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Figures, I just installed the Oxford's. I would like to have the factory grips. Anyone want to buy a set of slightly used Oxford Heated Grips?
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
Old 10-22-2012, 05:34 PM   #3230
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
OK, who is AFI and how can they sell the Guzzi grips for $285 discount? If this turns out to be as good as it sounds i'm in!

Peter Y.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #3231
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
OK, who is AFI and how can they sell the Guzzi grips for $285 discount? If this turns out to be as good as it sounds i'm in!

Peter Y.
I just looked on the Moto-Guzzi corporate site and the grips are only 100 something on there....
Old 10-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #3232
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post

Peter Y.
OEM just lowered the price - got mine from MPH the otherday $113+tax as I'm local
Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #3233
James Adams
Misplaced

Well, I pulled apart the Stelvio and removed the charcoal canister (roughly following the guide on the GuzziTech forum), installed a new clutch master cylinder, a new brake lever, a new handguard, and one Euro turn signal. Hopefully the rest of the parts come soon.

I haven't ridden it since August--I think I'll put it all back together tomorrow after work, change the oil, and take it for a spin.

James Adams screwed with this post 10-23-2012 at 10:27 AM
Old 10-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #3234
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Okay charged the battery. Tightened and placed Permatex on all the aforementioned bolts and walaa...the Guzzi started right up and no wrench or "SERVICE" message. Runs smooth. Now how do I know if my alternator is charging the battery?
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #3235
James Adams
Misplaced

Switch the dash display to voltmeter mode, you should be at or above 14V at cruise RPM. If you're at 12 or less, you're not charging.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #3236
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymartini View Post
How about some pics of this setup, I want to see if it's worth it....
Hi Dirty,

There are pics of this setup back in this thread a ways. You can also see a bunch of pics here: http://uk.motoguzzi.it/#/motoguzzi/U...io-1200-4V-NTX

-SM
Old 10-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #3237
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Thanks SM, I'll check it out. I must have miised it the first time around.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #3238
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Assuming you're talking about a '12 model, they're plug and play, but taking the side panels apart to get the turn signal lens in place is a PITA. Guzzi used these "one time use" washers-from-hell that "bite" into plastic posts and hold the two pieces together.
This was more annoying than I expected. I ended up cutting most of them and then using small zip-ties and a little dab of threadlocker on each post to reattach the panel. But I was happy to see the connector plug right in.

FWIW, the dark plastic "blanks" that I removed to fit the Euro signals were actually the same as the Euro signals, socket and plug and everything (as far as I could tell), just all painted over to match the matte black panels.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #3239
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,813
Quote:
This was more annoying than I expected. I ended up cutting most of them and then using small zip-ties and a little dab of threadlocker on each post to reattach the panel. But I was happy to see the connector plug right in.

FWIW, the dark plastic "blanks" that I removed to fit the Euro signals were actually the same as the Euro signals, socket and plug and everything (as far as I could tell), just all painted over to match the matte black panels.
A PITA for sure! It took me a couple hours to get it done even though there was nothing particularly difficult about the job. I re-used those "one-use" washers, though. Even though I mangled them pretty badly, I was able to drive them back on with a small socket and a hammer.

I checked the ground connections to my starter. While they weren't loose, I was still able to tighten them more without much effort. This is something I will keep an eye on.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:23 AM   #3240
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Likewise....well, sort of. On one side, the blank was just a Euro signal painted over. The bulb socket, connector, etc was all there. On the other side, the blank was just that, a blank, with nothing else. I guess Luigi ran out of parts in his parts tray and decided to finish building my bike anyway.

-SM