Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #3241
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
I am carrying my blanks, just blanks, with me as spares. Someone wrote about actually getting the paint off them with denatured alcohol and elbow grease.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #3242
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
I am carrying my blanks, just blanks, with me as spares. Someone wrote about actually getting the paint off them with denatured alcohol and elbow grease.
I think you could get the paint off pretty easily with the right chemicals (MEK, brake fluid, toluene?). The tough part would be doing it without damaging the plastic underneath.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #3243
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,814
Mirrors, Turn Signals

This is a cursory look at what it takes to change the mirrors and turn signals.

You have to remove the small clear plastic wind deflectors, then the side panels. The side panels have three fasteners:

Under the panel in front,

Under the panel in the middle,

And the rear of the panel.

Behind the panel there are a bunch of push-on fasteners that are impossible to remove without mangling pretty badly. I used a screwdriver and needle nose to get them off. Unless you have extra ones on hand, you'll have to re-use them. The piece in the middle of the photo is the back of the blank turn signal.

You have to loosen these screws just a bit to separate the the two pieces.

Now remove this bolt and push the blank piece out. Put the new turn signal in.

Behind the panel you removed earlier, you should see this connection:

One end of the connection runs up to the old turn signal. It makes things easier if you cut the wire up near the turn signal and pull the wire down through the cable ties.

(Crappy pic) Separate that connection in the above photo and connect the powered connector to the new turn signal.

Earlier in the thread, someone recommended using a socket to replace the mangled toothed washer fasteners. That worked well.

There is nothing tricky about replacing the turn signals, but it's easier if you cut the wire up near the turn signal like I noted, first.

The finished product. I haven't had a chance to ride the bike to see if the new mirrors are much clearer than the old ones. The euro mirrors/turn signals are a definite improvement, albeit a hassle to install.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:29 AM   #3244
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 745
Wow. Much more difficult than when I did it on my '09. I think it took all of 10 minutes to disconnect the wire from the mirror and plug into the new lens.

I wonder why they changed that?
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:55 AM   #3245
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
I've actually been on the phone with Customer Care about deficiencies and brought up the subject because my mirror/signals were true deficiencies as the fell apart after a couple of weeks. He explained the government made them put the stupid things on and any warranty work would be to replace the existing. I told him to forget about it. Perhaps I'll get the replacements when I get back and sell them to someone as a new product with a small print warning. "Do Not Use"
Old 10-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #3246
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
The finished product. I haven't had a chance to ride the bike to see if the new mirrors are much clearer than the old ones. The euro mirrors/turn signals are a definite improvement, albeit a hassle to install.
Do you have to remove the panel for other maintenance items? Like if I want to run some wires from under the seat to the handlebar areas?

If so, does the turn signal wiring complicate things?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #3247
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
Do you have to remove the panel for other maintenance items? Like if I want to run some wires from under the seat to the handlebar areas?

If so, does the turn signal wiring complicate things?
You'll probably want to remove the tank (and the side panels need to come off to remove the tank) to run any wires from the underseat area to the bars, but the turn signal wiring is easily disconnected (a good-quality weatherproof connector is used and is easily disconnected before disassembly).

The only part that is a pain is separating the two-piece side panel and that's only necessary for installing the Euro turn signals.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #3248
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,591
Ah. Thanks.

That sounds just like the process on a BMW GS.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:38 AM   #3249
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,510
Quote:
This is a cursory look at what it takes to change the mirrors and turn signals.

You have to remove the small clear plastic wind deflectors, then the side panels. The side panels have three fasteners:

Under the panel in front,

Under the panel in the middle,

And the rear of the panel.

Behind the panel there are a bunch of push-on fasteners that are impossible to remove without mangling pretty badly. I used a screwdriver and needle nose to get them off. Unless you have extra ones on hand, you'll have to re-use them. The piece in the middle of the photo is the back of the blank turn signal.

You have to loosen these screws just a bit to separate the the two pieces.

Now remove this bolt and push the blank piece out. Put the new turn signal in.

Behind the panel you removed earlier, you should see this connection:

One end of the connection runs up to the old turn signal. It makes things easier if you cut the wire up near the turn signal and pull the wire down through the cable ties.

(Crappy pic) Separate that connection in the above photo and connect the powered connector to the new turn signal.

Earlier in the thread, someone recommended using a socket to replace the mangled toothed washer fasteners. That worked well.

There is nothing tricky about replacing the turn signals, but it's easier if you cut the wire up near the turn signal like I noted, first.

You guys should really consider either having separate threads for this kind of info, or having a table of contents on where to find the info within the thread. This is great work, but will be impossible to find in a few months...

Do it for all of us future owners!
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:42 AM   #3250
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,411
Great write-up......but why cut the electrical wire at the mirror? Isn't easy to "pull-up" when removing the mirror itself or is the removal of the tank required to do so (due to the plugged end) on the new Stelvio?
Old 10-26-2012, 05:41 AM   #3251
Mr. B
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Great write-up......but why cut the electrical wire at the mirror? Isn't easy to "pull-up" when removing the mirror itself or is the removal of the tank required to do so (due to the plugged end) on the new Stelvio?
I should have explained that better: Unless you cut the wire at or near the mirror, the wire makes it more difficult to rotate the mirror to remove it.

Also, because of the way the wire routed, it's impossible to pull it up through the cable ties with the plug still attached on the other end. I didn't want to cut off that plug and find out it was the wrong wire. It's happened before and I hate soldering!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #3252
Mr. B
Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
You guys should really consider either having separate threads for this kind of info, or having a table of contents on where to find the info within the thread. This is great work, but will be impossible to find in a few months...

Do it for all of us future owners!
Would there be that much interest? The Stelvio, or any MG for that matter, is not like the BMW GS or the DR650.

BTW, I wouldn't ordinarily clutter up this thread with a bunch of pictures, but someone posted that they wanted to see how difficult the swap was.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:48 AM   #3253
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
A table of contents within this thread would be excellent. Is the OP still around?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #3254
James Adams
Misplaced

Old 10-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #3255
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
I should have explained that better: Unless you cut the wire at or near the mirror, the wire makes it more difficult to rotate the mirror to remove it.

Also, because of the way the wire routed, it's impossible to pull it up through the cable ties with the plug still attached on the other end. I didn't want to cut off that plug and find out it was the wrong wire. It's happened before and I hate soldering!
I just cut the cable ties and pulled the plug/wiring out from where it connected to the bike. This allowed the mirror to spin freely to remove it because it gave me plenty of slack wire (for those that haven't done this yet, it won't make a bit of sense until you get to that part of the job). Next I plugged the bike end of the harness into the new in-fairing signal, and put new cable ties around the various wire bundles and was done.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote