Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #3301
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post

The riding season is never over. As long as the roads are clear, I'm on the bike.

Lol...I hear that! I'm actually planning a trip down into Mexico sometime around the first / second week of December....my coworkers who ride are all like "yep" and our coworkers who don't are all like "you guys are crazy!".

Yep.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #3302
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 9,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
James, a couple questions about the CalSci windscreen: Does yours touch the bodywork? Can you still move the windscreen up and down? I'm asking because I just got mine (medium, like yours) and when I installed it the screen jammed up against the body work. It's such a tight fit that I can't move the screen at all. It appears to me that the CalSci screen does not have enough curvature to match up with the NTX bodywork. Mark and I are exchanging email about this now but I'm wondering if this is due to some running change on the part of Moto Guzzi. My bike was delivered in late October, when did you get yours? Did you install any kind of spacers or make any other mods?

You can see my clearance issue here. Later I installed the fourth mounting bolt and that just made the matter worse.
Mine definitely mounts right up against the fairing and does not move easily, but there was just enough flex in the whole assembly to allow it to mount up. It appears that the images on the CalSci website show this also, so I figured it was by design. I'm not thrilled about this aspect of the design, but it does seem to be effective.

I planned on making up some spacers to use on the lower mounting points, but I haven't done anything yet.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #3303
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Well speaking of spacers I just took what unfortunately is problably my last ride of the season as its gettting colder and wetter here in Bozeman land, though only 49 degrees today it was quite beautiful as we received a small rain last night.

I wanted to go out and see if my spacers in the original shield to tilt it forward a bit helped and indeed it did. I would say the air almost completely misssed my helmet today which notably decreased the noise. I used rubber washers I got down at the Ace Hardware store and put about 5 of them in producing about a half inch raise on top and I think two at the bottom to maintain clearance.

I don't think you guys with the CalSci have a problem. Just get a few 1/4 inch rubber washers and put them in and walaa problem solved. You will find such things in the specialty boxes in the bolt section of your hardware store.

Then let me know how it works. It would be nice to have more pictures from better angles to see how it all works with the CALSCI as I am still considering getting one of those.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #3304
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
Well speaking of spacers I just took what unfortunately is problably my last ride of the season as its gettting colder and wetter here in Bozeman land, though only 49 degrees today it was quite beautiful as we received a small rain last night.

I wanted to go out and see if my spacers in the original shield to tilt it forward a bit helped and indeed it did. I would say the air almost completely misssed my helmet today which notably decreased the noise. I used rubber washers I got down at the Ace Hardware store and put about 5 of them in producing about a half inch raise on top and I think two at the bottom to maintain clearance.

I don't think you guys with the CalSci have a problem. Just get a few 1/4 inch rubber washers and put them in and walaa problem solved. You will find such things in the specialty boxes in the bolt section of your hardware store.

Then let me know how it works. It would be nice to have more pictures from better angles to see how it all works with the CALSCI as I am still considering getting one of those.
Did you need longer bolts?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #3305
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

I did put in a little longer bolt but to be honest I am not sure I need them. I think though by the time I get done tweeking them I will need the longer bolts. That is what happened with the Dakar. I worry that I will be riding down the road and have the shorter ones pull out:) Unfortunately this experiment will probably be put on hold till Spring.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #3306
James Adams
Misplaced

(note that video is half-speed slow-motion)

Old 11-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #3307
James Adams
Misplaced

Here's another from this afternoon (this one from Marshall Pass Road):

Unfortunately, the sound didn't come through very well. I need a better camera mounting location.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #3308
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,674
[QUOTE=James Adams;
(note that video is half-speed slow-motion)

[/QUOTE]

Sigh....picture this in full speed, in MIchigan, with one of those hitting me square in the left rear rib cage...broken ribs, no more spleen, broken ankle....and totaled Stelvio. Week in the hospital and going on a month with a screwed up ankle.

CANNOT wait for this ankle to be better and be able to order another Stelvio. Argg.

At least the locals who were gutting the deer while I was being loaded up by EMS got something out of it....yikes.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #3309
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 826
And u didn't even get a dinner?
Old 11-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #3310
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
Sigh....picture this in full speed, in MIchigan, with one of those hitting me square in the left rear rib cage...broken ribs, no more spleen, broken ankle....and totaled Stelvio. Week in the hospital and going on a month with a screwed up ankle.

CANNOT wait for this ankle to be better and be able to order another Stelvio. Argg.

At least the locals who were gutting the deer while I was being loaded up by EMS got something out of it....yikes.

Sorry to hear about that.

It's always amazing to me the number of "take-downs" by deer. By that I mean the deer actually hitting the rider vs. the other way around. They must be horrible judges of closing speeds. Maybe because in their world, 99.99% of obstacles are stationery, and the .01% is a predator that they are running FROM, not TOWARDS. But why the hell do they run AT bikes???

To avoid a future event like that, I've heard these things actually work:

http://deerwhistle.com/?gclid=CJOp9L...FQioPAodfHwA1A

Heal up soon.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #3311
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post

Ouch! Heal up fast!
Old 11-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #3312
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

Sorry to hear about that.

It's always amazing to me the number of "take-downs" by deer. By that I mean the deer actually hitting the rider vs. the other way around. They must be horrible judges of closing speeds. Maybe because in their world, 99.99% of obstacles are stationery, and the .01% is a predator that they are running FROM, not TOWARDS. But why the hell do they run AT bikes???

To avoid a future event like that, I've heard these things actually work:

http://deerwhistle.com/?gclid=CJOp9L...FQioPAodfHwA1A

Heal up soon.

-SM
It doesn't matter if the object is moving or not. I was going to work one morning and saw a big 'ol buck headed for the road. I was still on gravel and only going about 25 so I stopped. I was about 30 or 40 feet short of where he jumped the fence. When he landed he turned and ran full speed into the driver's door. I was sitting still.

I don't know how these things can run through the woods with racks and not be crashing into everything in sight.
"If I was in a hurry, I'd left earlier."
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #3313
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Deer behavior in general needs a lot more research money...something I think we should bring to the attention of Romney right after the election:)
Old 11-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #3314
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post

The CalSci shield is really well made, the holes like up perfectly and all the edges are well done. The issue is the curvature of the shield. I don't want to go the spacer route because the mounting system is based on studs that go through rubber grommets in the plastic shield. There are flat head screws that go into those studs to secure everything. If you put spacers under the shield you are reducing the amount of purchase that the studs have on the grommets/plastic, while at the same time reducing the number of threads catching those studs. Although your solution has solved your problem I would worry about the long term security of the whole arrangement.

Here you can see what a tight fit the CalSci shield is on my NTX.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #3315
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
Ouch! Heal up fast!
Thanks gents, keep posting pics. I'm living through ADV-R during the healing process. Already learned that the factory Guzzi grips are a sweet deal now...keep the tips flowing.