Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #3331
flying_hun
Moral Hazard

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
It's great to see confirmation of what was already expected, but quite contrary to conventional wisdom. Good stuff.

TheFlyinghun Blog

EuroBARF 2014
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #3332
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_hun View Post
It's great to see confirmation of what was already expected, but quite contrary to conventional wisdom. Good stuff.
Of course none of this changes the fact that all these big bikes are heavy hippos.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #3333
Cloudhopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
I posted a link to that thread on the german GS forums. They are usually very Anti-Stelvio and very fond of the tremendous weight advantage of the GS compared to other bikes.

So I'll be a persona non grata over there when I'll sit down for breakfast

/Edit:
Whoever really wants to do offorading (not gravel roads) with bikes like that, is seriously gaga.
Cloudhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:41 PM   #3334
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Of course none of this changes the fact that all these big bikes are heavy hippos.
She's a big girl, but she can dance!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #3335
silvergoose
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
2009 Stelvio

Gobius, congrats on the new (2009) Stelvio. It will get better as the miles rack up. I bought mine from MI with 5700 miles on the clock. Rode it home to Arkansas, the best est ride ever. I currently average better than 40 MPG on the road. You are right the tank could have been bigger, but after 150+ miles I am ready to stop and smell the roses. My longest trip so far has been 1700 miles and it was great. good luck with your new ride.
2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
silvergoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #3336
James Adams
Not a Texan

tire wear report

TKC-80s at 3500 miles; usage was around 70% pavement, 30% non-pavement.

Front:

Rear:

Probably going to try a Heidenau on the rear and keep the front a while longer. I bought a Pirelli Scorpion Rally from the local shop to replace it, we'll see how that does. It looks like it'll have similar tread life but it's substantially less expensive than the TKC-80.

James Adams screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 04:51 PM
Old 11-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #3337
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Wire upgrade, ground and starter leads

In the category of 'It can't hurt and might really help' is upgrading the ground and starter leads from the battery. The OEM wires are just enough, not overkill, for the current they have to carry. Like I have done on my last few modern bikes I decided to upgrade these wires.

The ground wire is dead easy.
Here the starter is removed but you can clearly see the ground wire terminating just below where the starter would be. What appears to be a 13mm bolt just has a 6mm stud to secure the ground wire. You can see that the 'bolt' is threaded, that's for one of the two screws that secure the starter cover. I moved the ground over to the other side of the engine, going from 26" to about 16" and larger wire.

This is the new ground connection, higher and more protected from corrosion (I hope).

For the starter wire I had to first clip the OEM starter wire from where the wiring harness has a lug for the battery.

You can see that I put lots of shrink wrap over the bare lead. Later I also covered it with tape.
Down at the starter itself I routed the wire away from frame members and any potential chafe points. This took a few trial fittings but the end result has at least 1/4" clearance from the frame, better than OEM.

While I was doing all this I also moved the other ground wire away from the starter to one of the starter bolts:

You can see where the ground used to be, to the right of the starter bolt. That's another 13mm bolt that has a 6 mm shaft and does double duty to secure the starter cover.

All in all I think this simple upgrade will pay off with easier starting and more secure grounding for the entire electrical system.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #3338
flying_hun
Moral Hazard

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
No argument, but it addresses the persistent belief that the GS is magically much lighter than the Stelvio.

TheFlyinghun Blog

EuroBARF 2014
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #3339
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,346
^ i'll bite! The current GS is not much lighter than the current Stelvio? I suppose it all boils down to how one defines "much lighter." And fwiw, I'm a huge fan of the Stelvio (past owner), so it ain't about "that."
Old 11-11-2012, 05:33 AM   #3340
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
^ i'll bite! The current GS is not much lighter than the current Stelvio? I suppose it all boils down to how one defines "much lighter." And fwiw, I'm a huge fan of the Stelvio (past owner), so it ain't about "that."
Leafman60 weighed both in similar configurations and they came within a few pounds of each other. Scroll up a bunch of posts and I had posted a link to his thread with details.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:54 AM   #3341
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
Leafman60 weighed both in similar configurations and they came within a few pounds of each other. Scroll up a bunch of posts and I had posted a link to his thread with details.
Ah, I see where the discrepancy/confusion lie. The poster above (that i quoted) wrote "GS" but it was the "GS Adventure" that was used in the actual comparison.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:45 AM   #3342
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Ah, I see where the discrepancy/confusion lie. The poster above (that i quoted) wrote "GS" but it was the "GS Adventure" that was used in the actual comparison.
I guess I don't really differentiate between the two. I may be wrong, but I've always considered the GSA to essentially be a GS with more options.

I'm sure a standard GS is lighter than a standard Stelvio.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #3343
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Quote:
I guess I don't really differentiate between the two. I may be wrong, but I've always considered the GSA to essentially be a GS with more options.

correct on all counts! those options and different parts (rear rack, bigger tank, bigger screen, crash bars, aux lights, fender beak, even tires) most definitely add up though in terms of weight.

enjoy,
Old 11-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #3344
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Quote:

Leafman weighed his standard GS recently (a 2007 1200GS) in totally stock condition, maybe 1 gallon short of a full tank. That weighed 545 lbs. Now if we can get someone with a standard Stelvio to weigh it we can put this to rest. FWIW, the NTX came in at 616 lbs with 1/2 tank and about 650 with a full tank. That's about 60 lbs difference between the basic GS and the NTX with about the same amount of fuel. I'm guessing that the basic Stelvio will be within 20 lbs of the basic GS. If that's correct, the difference is insignificant.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #3345
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,881
Quote:

I think the big difference between the GS and GS Adventure is the size of the fuel tank. The GS has a 5.5 gallon tank where the GS Adventure has a 8.7 gallon tank, which is slightly more than the Stelvio's 8.5 gallons. That adds a LOT of weight up high, bot in terms of the tank itself as well as the fuel in it. In my experience, having ridden both the GS Adv and the Stelvio NTX, the BMW feels more top heavy at a standstill (stop lights, etc) than the NTX does. I attribute this to how their tanks are designed, and therefore where in the COG map the weight is placed. Mind you, BOTH are quite top heavy when fully fueled, and I am reminded of this frequently as I maneuver my Stelvio around in the garage when Mrs. Monkey pulls her car in too close and I need to "wiggle" by on the beast. I nearly dropped it the other day in the garage simply by being lazy and not putting the sidestand down when I dismounted and I leaned it over a wee bit too far.....what a struggle that was to keep her from going kerplunk.

Bottom line, as James said, they are both big hippos, and at >650lbs fully loaded w/ fuel and gear, you need to be more mindful of things like slopes, dips in the road at stops, etc. Once she gets to a certain angle, she's going over and the best you can do is get the hell out of the way.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote