Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 10:52 AM   #3631
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
Sock, are you saying that KTM ADV bikes, BMW GS/A, and Yamaha Tenere's will all suffer the same negative consequences as a Stelvio (if one were to occur) when ridden "off road?" Do you have info validating such? Seems a little far fetched to me. Hec, i don't think there's much to a pair of GS forks with the exception of seals and fluid!

I agree that bike's parts can and will fail, but all exactly in the same manner?
What I said was the same TYPES of issues, ie. if you don't maintain these big bikes, things will fail. Wheel bearings disintegrate. Steering head bearings loosen. All manner of fasteners loosen. Forks leak. Shocks (for the case of your BMW) leak. So yes, when you push ANY of these bikes off-road, if you don't maintain them (and by that I don't mean look at the maintenance chart and go by it....for off-road, all bets are OFF and you need to stay on top of stuff based on experience with bikes like these ), stuff will break. KTM. Yamaha. BMW. It doesn't matter. They all have their specific issues, but they also all have the same common one: they are big, heavy bikes that will vibrate parts loose just sitting and idling. Pound them off-road and don't maintain them, and you're in for troubles. That's not "far fetched", that's just fact.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #3632
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,042
my NTX has been ridden offroad fairly vigorously a few times, and has come thru with flying colors. I wasn't sure it would, so at each stop I did a quick look-see to see if anything was missing or working it's way loose - but was very pleasantly surprised to see it was up to the bit of punishment.

The miles are still accruing with very little fanfare, the bike has been as hands-off as anything I've owned.

For X1Glider to keep that bullshit in his sig line about his NTX falling apart under normal use....well, that's one of the reasons I don't frequent this thread much.
It's a fine bike, and either he got a bad one or one that was badly prepped - who knows. I don't find anything he's put out there of much value....any bike requires you to become actively involved with it's condition.
I've had bikes that were poorly PDI'd where bad factory assembly issues weren't caught (loose motor mounts on a new TE610).

Anybody considering an NTX can rest assured they are getting a very well put together bike using excellent components that should give them years of trouble free service.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #3633
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
The miles are still accruing with very little fanfare, the bike has been as hands-off as anything I've owned.

For X1Glider to keep that bullshit in his sig line about his NTX falling apart under normal use....well, that's one of the reasons I don't frequent this thread much.
+1, but I just ignore the antics of some members and enjoy the heck out of most of it, be it in Beasts, OC, Thumpers, or others. I just love bikes in general, am not married to any brand, and refuse to let the "other" stuff bother me.

Happy Holidays riders!

-SM
Old 12-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #3634
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,066
Quote:
I've had bikes that were poorly PDI'd where bad factory assembly issues weren't caught (loose motor mounts on a new TE610).
Check the upper engine mounts on your NTX any time you have the tank off. All of mine had worked themselves loose.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #3635
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1Glider View Post
Also, the pinch bolt thing. All the MG fanboys are going to have to get over that. Over torquing really isn't a cause for breaking this part. Part of my initial analasys showed that once cllamped onto the axle, the clamping area doesn't deform enough to be a problem under any torque. The truth is that the threads will strip before the clamping force is great enough to do any damage. That damage would only be related to some ripping of material at the bolt contact face. So the whole spiel about overtorquing the pinch bolts is ridiculous. It's funny that people ridiculed the BMW techs that changed my tires without any factual basis, stating that using BMW torque specs or worse, being ham fisted, and an out of calibration toque wrench caused the failure. BTW, the BMW torque spec is 0.6 lbs-ft more than what MG states. Even 100 lbs-ft would not cause the pinch clamps to break. The threads would strip at a little over 60 lbs-ft.

Sorry, but I'm going to call you on that one: working at a Guzzi dealership (and importer) in the past, I've seen bike srrive from the factory with under-done pinch-bolts (on those bikes that rrived with the front wheel installed) and several where the pinch bolt has snapped the fork; only some of those involved the older-style bolt-into-captive-nut design.
I'm glad you weren't seriously hurt in your incident, but please don't turn your apparently isolated event into a crusade against a machine which many other owners have used extensively without your experience being replicated.
And no, I don't own a Stelvio - several other Guzzis and Aprilias, but not a Stelvio. And yes, I do ride a good deal of dirt on litre V-twin dualsport bikes.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #3636
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I remember reading that. Good stuff! Those were the 50mm Zokes. The new bikes have the more adjustable, but smaller, 45mm tubes.

-SM

Wow, I didn't know that. What in the world did they do that for? The beefy forks were a major selling point for me.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #3637
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Wow, I didn't know that. What in the world did they do that for? The beefy forks were a major selling point for me.
I wondered the same thing....

The only reason I can come up with is the 45mm units are fully adjustable, where the 50mm ones were not, and MG assumed people would rather have adjustability because most folks weren't pounding these bikes off-road.

-SM
Old 12-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #3638
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Bigger isn't always better.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #3639
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
I wondered the same thing....

The only reason I can come up with is the 45mm units are fully adjustable, where the 50mm ones were not, and MG assumed people would rather have adjustability because most folks weren't pounding these bikes off-road.

-SM

Maybe it was the clunk I told them about? 50mm on a gigantic bike is always better than smaller, damn shame right there.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:14 AM   #3640
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Sorry, but I'm going to call you on that one: working at a Guzzi dealership (and importer) in the past, I've seen bike srrive from the factory with under-done pinch-bolts (on those bikes that rrived with the front wheel installed) and several where the pinch bolt has snapped the fork; only some of those involved the older-style bolt-into-captive-nut design..
This is insane! What kind of company would continue to sell a product with such a serious defect?

Guzzi should have their ass handed to them in court for this. Maybe a nice multi-billion dollar settlement would wake them up and help them to realize selling a bike with a front wheel ready to snap clean off is not acceptable? Or even better some jail time for the management idiots who obviously don't care. And it would be great to take marzocchi down at the same time too. They've been selling forks prone to snapping to the mountain bike builders as well. What bullshit to put profit over human life like this.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:30 AM   #3641
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
This is insane! What kind of company would continue to sell a product with such a serious defect?

Guzzi should have their ass handed to them in court for this. Maybe a nice multi-billion dollar settlement would wake them up and help them to realize selling a bike with a front wheel ready to snap clean off is not acceptable? Or even better some jail time for the management idiots who obviously don't care. And it would be great to take marzocchi down at the same time too. They've been selling forks prone to snapping to the mountain bike builders as well. What bullshit to put profit over human life like this.

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

How many people have been pitched off their Stelvio's from broken fork castings? This is the first one I've heard of. Not really the numbers needed for a class action.

Get a grip.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648

WitchCityBallabio screwed with this post 12-24-2012 at 06:36 AM
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:29 AM   #3642
KMC1
There is no spoon.

Oddometer: 2,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

How many people have been pitched off their Stelvio's from broken fork castings? This is the first one I've heard of. Not really the numbers needed for a class action.

Get a grip.
I guess it's easy to be flippant, until you're the lucky one, eh?

To me, ONE PERSON having their fork snap is too many - especially when I think about a day when the bike is loaded, the SO on the back, we're in Mexico or up in the mountains an hour or more from a hospital, and then BAM!! I'm sliding on my face wondering if my life has changed forever.

There's simply no excuse, and it just leaves me shaking my head that there are people such as yourself who DEFEND that bullshit....I just can't wrap my head around it.

An Overview of the United States National Debt: http://www.davemanuel.com/us-national-debt-clock.php
KMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #3643
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,421
Quote:

Put him on your Ignore List.

Then all you've got to do is hope others don't quote him.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #3644
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC1 View Post
I guess it's easy to be flippant, until you're the lucky one, eh?

To me, ONE PERSON having their fork snap is too many - especially when I think about a day when the bike is loaded, the SO on the back, we're in Mexico or up in the mountains an hour or more from a hospital, and then BAM!! I'm sliding on my face wondering if my life has changed forever.

There's simply no excuse, and it just leaves me shaking my head that there are people such as yourself who DEFEND that bullshit....I just can't wrap my head around it.
Did you make the same noise over the final drive failures on the GS or the fork casting failures on the GS650?

My problem is that you're trying to condemn and punish Guzzi for "billions" which of course they don't have, over one incident. Machines sometimes have faults. If you're looking for a perfect machine without risk, let me know when you find one. In my nearly 40 years of motorcycle ownership, I've yet to find one.

You don't know how the machine was maintained, you don't know what kind of abuse it had had prior, you don't know how the bike was prepped. You don't know any of those things, so for you to instantly blame Guzzi for the problem without facts is quite frankly over-reaction.

For example, he blames Guzzi for the top case falling off, but as far as I know, they don't come equipped with the top case from the factory, so my guess is that the dealer or the owner installed it insufficiently. I hang two 1 gallon Rotopax cans off of my top case and pound the ever loving fuck out of my bike and I've never had the case come off. I not only fill my side cases, but fully pack the Trax soft bags that strap to the top for trips and I've never had a side case come off except when I was rear ended. I wonder why that is....

He stated that the bike had bad vibration. I've never had any Guzzi with bad vibrations in the bar. It points to the throttle bodies being badly out of balance. Who set the bike up? Why didn't he have that addressed?

Look, I feel badly that he had whatever failure he had, but from my experience ( I personally know 5 people with Stelvio's and none of them have had even a remotely similar experience) there's no underlying problem with the Stelvio design.

Hell, James Adams' ended up upside down after a crash, pulled out upside down and he's riding it again. You'd think if the bike were that fragile, it would have been a write off.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #3645
James Adams
Not a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
He stated that the bike had bad vibration. I've never had any Guzzi with bad vibrations in the bar. It points to the throttle bodies being badly out of balance. Who set the bike up? Why didn't he have that addressed?
Loose engine mount bolts can also cause this. They're under the tank--hopefully they're still there. DAMHIK