Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #3751
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
[QUOTE=Renman1117;20465354]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
After installing auxillary lights, cruise control, and maybe a tank bag, this winter I should be set. Cliff
Cliff, Can you elaborate on the Cruise Control you used on your Stelvio and how you set it up? Thanks.
Chuck in Indiana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #3752
Renman1117
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
[QUOTE=Chuck in Indiana;20467040]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renman1117 View Post

Cliff, Can you elaborate on the Cruise Control you used on your Stelvio and how you set it up? Thanks.

Haven't installed yet chuck. Are you the guy that on Wildguzzi who was in the process of installing the Rostra cruise control? You commented that it was a work in progress and when you had it tweaked, you would share the install. So I was kinda waiting for you to post your results so i can get after it.

Cliff
Old 01-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #3753
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
One more thing I will probably do when my tires start looking worn is look into a bit more off-road capable variant. Im running the Scorpion road tire which are OEM and while most of my riding is road, I would like a more capable tire for dirt/off road. Nothing hairy just a wee bit more capable.

Cliff
Check out Mitas E07

(Not even bad in the snow...... )

Work real well on or off road with a great lifespan to top it off.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein

Forseti screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 03:29 PM
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #3754
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Renman1117;20467120]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post

Are you the guy that on Wildguzzi who was in the process of installing the Rostra cruise control? You commented that it was a work in progress and when you had it tweaked, you would share the install. So I was kinda waiting for you to post your results so i can get after it. Cliff
Yes, I have the Rostra CC installed and am working on the "tweaking". At the present time, the unit functions (can be turned "on" and "off", "sets" and is "turned off" by the braking operation) but will not hold a constant speed. I'm working to solve that problem now.

I have a few longer trips planned for this coming riding season, so solving the problem is a high priority.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #3755
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Cheapest. Simplest.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #3756
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Cheap??..... easy???

Perhaps.......

But no where near a cruise control.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Old 01-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #3757
Renman1117
Adventurer

Cruise control

[QUOTE=Chuck in Indiana;20467795]
Quote:

Yes, I have the Rostra CC installed and am working on the "tweaking". At the present time, the unit functions (can be turned "on" and "off", "sets" and is "turned off" by the braking operation) but will not hold a constant speed. I'm working to solve that problem now.

I have a few longer trips planned for this coming riding season, so solving the problem is a high priority.

Yes I read with interest your posting @wildguzzi. Hope you get it sorted out. What seems to be your best guess a s to why the unit won't hold a constant speed? I would really like to install one.

Cliff
Old 01-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #3758
Renman1117
Adventurer

Mita Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
Check out Mitas E07

(Not even bad in the snow...... )

Work real well on or off road with a great lifespan to top it off.
When you say real good do you really mean just moderate butt pucker or do they really hold a curve moderately well? Since I am a Illinois flatlander just getting to trails and curves involves a 500-700 mile jaunt. I would like the tire to not be twitchy on the pavement.I read the entire MITA thread about 6 weeks ago and came away scratching my head as to whether or not they might be something i would consider when i am ready to upgrade. Is the above tire mounted on an 09 Stelvio ? Thanks for sharing.

Cliff
Old 01-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #3759
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,907
[QUOTE=Mr. B;20465496]
Quote:

Unless I really needed the bigger tank, I wouldn't upgrade to the NTX. I admit it is a nice feature, but I doubt that I'll really NEED another 4 gallons riding in the US.
For me it's a convenience thing since there's no penalty. With the NTX, Guzzi got the added fuel weight back and down, so it doesn't feel like any more of a wallowing pig filled vs. half filled. This means I can fill up once a week vs. 2-3 times per week (60 mile daily commute to work). And yes, it means I can go pretty much anywhere and not have to worry about fuel, but honestly that's just a bonus since I do a "big" ride once a year where I might need that range, but I ride to/from work daily so that matters more to me.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:12 PM   #3760
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
I highly suggest looking into Klim gear...Traverse is what I had. Kept you dry and had vented zips. Wear them alone or with pants.
Well, I checked out the Klim gear and nearly pulled the trigger, but I think I'll wait until someone has a sale. Plus, I need an education on their line since they've got so many different models. Adventure, Badlands, Latitude, Traverse....sheesh! I tried on the Latitude and Traverse and the Traverse seem much better as an overpant, where the Lattitude (and the rest of their top of the line gear) all seem to be focused towards wearing them over a "base layer" like high-tech long underwear (which they also sell). I need something that can go over jeans comfortably.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #3761
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,800
[QUOTE=Sock Monkey;20469769]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post

For me it's a convenience thing since there's no penalty. With the NTX, Guzzi got the added fuel weight back and down, so it doesn't feel like any more of a wallowing pig filled vs. half filled. This means I can fill up once a week vs. 2-3 times per week (60 mile daily commute to work). And yes, it means I can go pretty much anywhere and not have to worry about fuel, but honestly that's just a bonus since I do a "big" ride once a year where I might need that range, but I ride to/from work daily so that matters more to me.

-SM
Granted.

I was simply saying that if I already had a non-NTX Stelvio, I probably wouldn't get a new one for the bigger tank. But that's just me.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:47 AM   #3762
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Renman1117;20468258]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
Yes I read with interest your posting @wildguzzi. Hope you get it sorted out. What seems to be your best guess as to why the unit won't hold a constant speed? I would really like to install one. Cliff
At the present time I think it's related to how I have picked up speed for input to the Servo.

The Servo needs a strong, steady input signal. That signal is then used as the control point that the unit works against. I used an engine signal (#1 spark plug) on my '08 C-14 and basically controlled to engine speed rather than bike speed. On my '09 Wee-Strom, I used bike speed (from the front wheel speed signal) and controlled that way.

On the NTX, the bike speed is from a signal from the ABS pickup/ring going back to the ECU, from both ends of the bike. Those signals also factor into the Traction Control for the bike. I was reluctant to cut into the ABS wires for fear of messing it up and, instead, went with the Pick-up Coil and Magnet Accessory that Rostra sells. It uses a Coil (that I have mounted on the front wheel assembly) and magnets (I am using four that are attached to the inner parts of the brake disc). I think my problem/inconsistency may be in this pick-up arrangement, somehow.

Unfortunately, our weather is closing in again, so any work I do for awhile will have to be in my garage. Sorry.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #3763
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Well, I checked out the Klim gear and nearly pulled the trigger, but I think I'll wait until someone has a sale. Plus, I need an education on their line since they've got so many different models. Adventure, Badlands, Latitude, Traverse....sheesh! I tried on the Latitude and Traverse and the Traverse seem much better as an overpant, where the Lattitude (and the rest of their top of the line gear) all seem to be focused towards wearing them over a "base layer" like high-tech long underwear (which they also sell). I need something that can go over jeans comfortably.

-SM

If you haven't already, don't forget to check out the Motoport stuff. Indestructable, incomparable construction, custom fit and big bang for the buck.

I have the Air Mesh Kevlar II and the Kevlar pants. With the liner in on the mesh I can ride comfortably down to 32 degrees and if I go colder I just toss in my Powerlet heated gear. In the summer, it's cooler than riding in a tee shirt.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #3764
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
If you haven't already, don't forget to check out the Motoport stuff. Indestructable, incomparable construction, custom fit and big bang for the buck.

I have the Air Mesh Kevlar II and the Kevlar pants. With the liner in on the mesh I can ride comfortably down to 32 degrees and if I go colder I just toss in my Powerlet heated gear. In the summer, it's cooler than riding in a tee shirt.
Your motor must run much hotter than mine. I've got the same setup and it's good gear but 32 degrees with just the liners? No way, not in this world.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:54 AM   #3765
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
When you say real good do you really mean just moderate butt pucker or do they really hold a curve moderately well? Since I am a Illinois flatlander just getting to trails and curves involves a 500-700 mile jaunt. I would like the tire to not be twitchy on the pavement.I read the entire MITA thread about 6 weeks ago and came away scratching my head as to whether or not they might be something i would consider when i am ready to upgrade. Is the above tire mounted on an 09 Stelvio ? Thanks for sharing.

Cliff
Those are mounted on 09 Stelvio.

They are not twitchy at all. hold line very well. I have dragged pegs with these on. Never had a but pucker with them. In fact I trust them to hold better than the tourance or anakee I have run previously. You must have the 4.25 rim on the rear as they only come up to a 150 size.

Albert Einstein