Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #3841
Ham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Well Jon at Empire Cycle emailed and my new top box is in. So that along with my heated grips are on their way to me. I plan to take her to Phoenix so I can get some riding done.

After changing fluids your first time did you guys find you had to add anything after a few miles? Just wondering as I have had snow out my back door since doing the first change.
Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #3842
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ham View Post
After changing fluids your first time did you guys find you had to add anything after a few miles? Just wondering as I have had snow out my back door since doing the first change.
Never seemed to burn a drop of oil. I changed at 100 miles, 4K miles, and now have 6800.

Peter Y.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #3843
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Kirb, I added a photo of the light installed on the bike.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:05 PM   #3844
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Kirb, I added a photo of the light installed on the bike.
Thanks Peter. It looks like they're small enough that the surrounding crash bars may actually protect them in a fall vs. the Hella's which look like they'd be the first casualty.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #3845
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Thanks Peter. It looks like they're small enough that the surrounding crash bars may actually protect them in a fall vs. the Hella's which look like they'd be the first casualty.

-SM
The housing is from billet so I suspect the weakest link in the event of a 'nap' will be the mount between the light and crash bar. It's fairly thin stainless steel.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #3846
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Never seemed to burn a drop of oil. I changed at 100 miles, 4K miles, and now have 6800.

Peter Y.
What he said with the exception of 'now have 18500'
Old 01-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #3847
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Death of the Hellas......

Well, I no longer have to deal with the Hellas. It seems that during the 5 days that I rode to work this week without the H3 bulb in place, the keeper vibrated loose and destroyed itself. This is the metal spring-type device that holds the bulb in place. Apparently with no bulb there, there wasn't enough spring tension for the keeper to stay put, so it popped loose and then vibrated to bits. Lots of little metal bits inside the light, including the broken tabs that the keeper attached to. RIP Hellas.

I now have a set of Peter's MM10's on order. $96 for a pair of LED aux lights seems like a bargain. Thanks for the heads up on these. Identical specs to the Denali Micros at 1/2 the cost. Peter, how long did it take for these to arrive from the time you placed your order?

-SM
Old 01-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #3848
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Quote:

I now have a set of Peter's MM10's on order. $96 for a pair of LED aux lights seems like a bargain. Thanks for the heads up on these. Identical specs to the Denali Micros at 1/2 the cost. Peter, how long did it take for these to arrive from the time you placed your order?

-SM
Seemed like forever but I suspect it was only about 10 days. I'll be interested in your opinion once you have them installed. So far I have not used mine but I suspect they will be most useful in adding visability for other drivers and maybe a bit for me. The multi LED setup will probably be the other way around...more for me than for others. I try not to ride at night so the tradeoff is just fine.

Peter Y.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #3849
Renman1117
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
MM10 Lites

So since these are LEDS with a low electrical draw are you guys foregoing the purchase of the wire kit because the $ 40.00 is a waste or you dont need the wire with the relay. A better question is the relay needed?

Cliff
Old 01-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #3850
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renman1117 View Post
So since these are LEDS with a low electrical draw are you guys foregoing the purchase of the wire kit because the $ 40.00 is a waste or you dont need the wire with the relay. A better question is the relay needed?

Cliff
I intend to use the existing wires that go to my Hellas so I can continue to use the OEM light switch and dash indicator.

Re. if the relay is needed, it is if you want to use a switched source. If you just want to turn them on/off whenever, then no, a relay isn't necessary as you could just tie straight to the battery (provided your switch can handle the current). LED really doesn't play into it unless you want to attempt something like tapping into the headlight wiring as your power source and your trigger input.

-SM

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 07:20 PM
Old 01-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #3851
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renman1117 View Post

Cliff
The circuit is already in place, wired to handle the current for the OEM lights. No need to add a relay.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:08 AM   #3852
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
[QUOTE=Renman1117;20468258]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
Yes I read with interest your posting @wildguzzi. Hope you get it sorted out. What seems to be your best guess a s to why the unit won't hold a constant speed? I would really like to install one. Cliff
Progress report; the cruise works fine. It took some time to get the switches set for the installation I have but, with some assistance from a local friend and the warm weather yesterday, the unit operates as designed.

The switch settings -- #2,3,6,7 are "On" , the balance are "Off". I'm still using the Rostra Coil and Magnet pickup arrangement. I needed a relay in the "Brake Off" circuit because of the LED rear light assembly. Pictures later if I can figure out how to do it.

Looking forward to the coming riding season. Have some longer trips planned and the cruise is nice for them.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:30 PM   #3853
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,728
Just as another data point, I filled up the Stelvio today. Distance was 291 miles; the fuel light went on about 16 miles before I filled up. I added 6.53 gallons, so my MPG was 44.54--my best yet, though not by much.

Total of 5700 miles now; no mechanical issues other than those directly caused by the rider. Front tire is still a TKC-80 with 5200 miles (probably 30% life remaining) and rear is a Scorpion Rally with 1500 miles (probably 50% life remaining).
Old 01-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #3854
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

You guys are still getting way better gas mileage than I am. My low fuel light comes on anywhere between 190 and 220 miles. This is "all roads" riding from 25mph to 80mph. Most is of the 80mph variety. 32-33 mpg. Been this way since new, 4k miles on the clock now.

-SM
Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #3855
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,586
Quote:
You guys are still getting way better gas mileage than I am. My low fuel light comes on anywhere between 190 and 220 miles. This is "all roads" riding from 25mph to 80mph. Most is of the 80mph variety. 32-33 mpg. Been this way since new, 4k miles on the clock now.

-SM
That's about the mileage I am getting....
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote