Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #3856
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
You guys are still getting way better gas mileage than I am. My low fuel light comes on anywhere between 190 and 220 miles. This is "all roads" riding from 25mph to 80mph. Most is of the 80mph variety. 32-33 mpg. Been this way since new, 4k miles on the clock now.
-SM
I was getting mid-30's on freeway (70-80mph) and much better at lower speeds. Keeping the speeds under 60 helped A LOT. The pic below was in/around deals gap, no highways, lots of elevation changes, most speeds below 60. Actual mileage was in the high 40's.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #3857
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,957
I figured that my lower MPG was due to my time on the slab, but that's the best way to/from work on my daily 60 mile commute. I could go surface streets all the way, but it would add 20+ minutes to my ride each way. I do take a back road home every night that cuts through a canyon to avoid the long backups on the freeways (yes, I can lane split, but it's nerve wracking with the idiot drivers here not able to keep their cages between the lane markers ), but it's still 10 miles of freeway from my office to get there.

Ah well, I've gotten similar mileage on every big twin I've owned, so it's not surprising. The bonus with the NTX is even with this moderate mileage, my range is still excellent.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:46 AM   #3858
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,571
[QUOTE=Chuck in Indiana;20531352]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renman1117 View Post

Progress report; the cruise works fine. It took some time to get the switches set for the installation I have but, with some assistance from a local friend and the warm weather yesterday, the unit operates as designed.

The switch settings -- #2,3,6,7 are "On" , the balance are "Off". I'm still using the Rostra Coil and Magnet pickup arrangement. I needed a relay in the "Brake Off" circuit because of the LED rear light assembly. Pictures later if I can figure out how to do it.

Looking forward to the coming riding season. Have some longer trips planned and the cruise is nice for them.

I'm not a member over there. Did you write up the installation in some detail? I've always wanted to learn how to add cruise to motorcycles...
Old 01-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #3859
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
I figured that my lower MPG was due to my time on the slab, but that's the best way to/from work on my daily 60 mile commute.

-SM
On my last long ride, about 1500 miles, I was getting in the high 40s on my NTX. This was a mix of about 70% Interstate, 10% off road, 20% two lane roads. It was cold about half the time. I seem to recall getting 47 mpg when I checked fuel vs miles traveled. My Multistrada, with the same ECU, was really sensitive to engine temp when it came to fuel mileage. It was common to put duct tape over the oil cooler in order to get the engine temp over 140-150F, where the mapping would shoot in so much extra fuel that mileage dropped to the low 30s. I don't know if we have a thermostat (don't think so) but we do have a huge oil radiator.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:50 AM   #3860
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
[QUOTE=Lobby;20541512]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
I'm not a member over there. Did you write up the installation in some detail? I've always wanted to learn how to add cruise to motorcycles...
Lobby,

I had pictures posted on both WildGuzzi and Guzzi Tech for awhile with explanation text included. I can't figure out how to post on this site, even though I'm using the same pictures from Photobucket. With those sites I can insert from an Image, with this site I need a URL. Don't know how to get that.

Regardless, the basics of the installation are straight forward. I'm using the Rostra CC with the Servo in the storage compartment under the passenger's seat. The cable connects to the bottom of the left throttle body (it has to pull to operate). I'm also using the Rostra Coil and Magnet Accessory for speed pickup. The Four Magnets are on the inner ring of the left front brake disc, the Coil is mounted on the left brake caliper. The wiring connections are right out of the Rostra Manual. I had to use a Relay on the Brake Off connection on the NTX because of the LED's in the Rear Light Assembly. Any other questions, let me know and I'll try and answer.

Ride safe.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #3861
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

[QUOTE=Chuck in Indiana;20541999]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post

Lobby,

I had pictures posted on both WildGuzzi and Guzzi Tech for awhile with explanation text included. I can't figure out how to post on this site, even though I'm using the same pictures from Photobucket. With those sites I can insert from an Image, with this site I need a URL. Don't know how to get that.
Hi Chuck,

I use Photobucket as well. In Photobucket, select a photo, then click on the "Direct Link" button on the right side of the page so it copies the link to your clipboard. Then here, you click on the "Insert Image" icon (looks like a postcard of a mountain) and paste the URL that got copied from Photobucket into the pop up window. Viola.

Here's my Stelvio the day I rode her home from the dealer.

-SM
Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #3862
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,534
Quote:
You guys are still getting way better gas mileage than I am. My low fuel light comes on anywhere between 190 and 220 miles. This is "all roads" riding from 25mph to 80mph. Most is of the 80mph variety. 32-33 mpg. Been this way since new, 4k miles on the clock now.

-SM
That tank was about 30% city streets, 50% twisty backroads (30-[censored]mph), and 20% secondary (55-65mph) highways. And the temperatures were in the 30s and 40s.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #3863
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,571
[QUOTE=Chuck in Indiana;20541999]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post

Lobby,

Regardless, the basics of the installation are straight forward. I'm using the Rostra CC with the Servo in the storage compartment under the passenger's seat. The cable connects to the bottom of the left throttle body (it has to pull to operate). I'm also using the Rostra Coil and Magnet Accessory for speed pickup. The Four Magnets are on the inner ring of the left front brake disc, the Coil is mounted on the left brake caliper. The wiring connections are right out of the Rostra Manual. I had to use a Relay on the Brake Off connection on the NTX because of the LED's in the Rear Light Assembly. Any other questions, let me know and I'll try and answer.

Ride safe.

Thanks.

I'll go snoop over there. I had trouble registering on Wildguzzi, though.

I don't need to do this installation anytime soon. But knowing how to do this, in general, is something I need to learn. For a future bike.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:20 AM   #3864
hngngnthr
Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer: 128
[QUOTE=Lobby;20542462]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post

Thanks.

I'll go snoop over there. I had trouble registering on Wildguzzi, though.

I don't need to do this installation anytime soon. But knowing how to do this, in general, is something I need to learn. For a future bike.

I also use photobucket. Go to Sockmonkeys post above or do this. Post you pictures on photobucket. After that open your picture and click on "share" then click on IMAGE CODES and copy that. Then just insert that code in your post. Here's my example.

To see how it looks before you post click on "quote" on this post.
hngngnthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #3865
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Seemed like forever but I suspect it was only about 10 days. I'll be interested in your opinion once you have them installed. So far I have not used mine but I suspect they will be most useful in adding visability for other drivers and maybe a bit for me. The multi LED setup will probably be the other way around...more for me than for others. I try not to ride at night so the tradeoff is just fine.

Peter Y.
Just got a ship notification on my MM10 lights. Good turn-around from Mondo. I'll report back once they arrive and I mount them up. Before I mount them though I'm going to paint the mounting bracket black to match the crash bars.

-SM
Old 01-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #3866
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 408
Kirb, today I took a close look at a '13 NTX sitting on the showroom floor. It did not come with heated grips. I did not get to pull the valve covers to see about rollers. Otherwise the bike looks just like a '12.

Peter Y.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #3867
ripngrip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Alright, I've been lurking for months, reading all the threads on the Stelvio, trying to convince myself to just keep my 2006 VFR, but the new bike itch won out. I don't physically have it yet, but completed the order on one of Moto International's leftover '09 Stelvio demos. I'll be importing it from Seattle to Vancouver, likely in the next couple three weeks.

I noticed the NTX when it was released last year, and kept sitting on it at the local dealer, and finally went down to Seattle 2 weeks ago, met Dave (great experience at Moto International, reputation is well deserved), took a test ride and loved the bike. I also rode a 1050 Tiger, sat on GS's, Super Tenere, Multi, etc, but kept coming back to the Guzzi. And the pricing on the leftover 09's was too good for me to justify getting the newer NTX.

Ordered up the Guzzi trax bags, crash bars, hand guards, heated grips (aftermarket, thanks to this board learned can't turn OEM grips on while riding, would not have been a fan), and the euro signals/mirrors. Really looking forward to some fun this season on the Stelvio, was a very engaging bike on the test ride.

Will post some pictures once I get the bike, but in the interim, here'e one from the fall, one of the last long trips my wife and I took (she rides the F800ST):
ripngrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:03 PM   #3868
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Kirb, today I took a close look at a '13 NTX sitting on the showroom floor. It did not come with heated grips. I did not get to pull the valve covers to see about rollers. Otherwise the bike looks just like a '12.
Peter Y.
Thanks Peter...I was able to swing the 'we'll throw them in if they are not installed' from the salesman, so I'm good either way. Thanks for looking.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #3869
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripngrip View Post
Alright, I've been lurking for months, reading all the threads on the Stelvio, trying to convince myself to just keep my 2006 VFR, but the new bike itch won out. I don't physically have it yet, but completed the order on one of Moto International's leftover '09 Stelvio demos. I'll be importing it from Seattle to Vancouver, likely in the next couple three weeks.
Congrats Rip. Dave is good people and he'll take care of you.

To that end, when you do your pick-up, you may want to make a long weekend of it by putting the first 1000 miles on it then take it back to Dave for the first service. The first service is important, and things like a throttle body sync and TPS reset are not part of the first service, but should be, and I'd bet if you asked MI to do them, they would include it. My dealer did it as a warranty item because I mentioned it was surging at low RPM, and the TB sync took care of most of that (more miles to loosen the motor up is taking care of the rest).

Enjoy the mountains on the torque monster. They call it the Stelvio, after the Stelvio pass, for a reason.....it climbs mtns like a goat (pops and farts like one too).

-SM
Old 01-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #3870
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Enjoy the mountains on the torque monster. They call it the Stelvio, after the Stelvio pass, for a reason.....it climbs mtns like a goat (pops and farts like one too).

-SM
Congrats RIP! You'll love it. On my ride from the dealer (2nd day) I was just north of Mono Lake in CA on 395 and came up to a nice uphill curve first to the right then to the left; two lanes going uphill and I made use of both. The bike wanted loose and I let it go a bit. Pulled the hill with ease, fun curve.