Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #3871
ripngrip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Congrats Rip. Dave is good people and he'll take care of you.

To that end, when you do your pick-up, you may want to make a long weekend of it by putting the first 1000 miles on it then take it back to Dave for the first service. The first service is important, and things like a throttle body sync and TPS reset are not part of the first service, but should be, and I'd bet if you asked MI to do them, they would include it. My dealer did it as a warranty item because I mentioned it was surging at low RPM, and the TB sync took care of most of that (more miles to loosen the motor up is taking care of the rest).

Enjoy the mountains on the torque monster. They call it the Stelvio, after the Stelvio pass, for a reason.....it climbs mtns like a goat (pops and farts like one too).

-SM
Thanks, and I chose the Black (fast one), it is an unregistered demo, so warranty as if new when I register it, but has 4,000 miles on it. So it has had first service, and then the cam recall, plus a full service at that time. Will need nothing but tires in the short term

And that is where my wife and I spend our summers, BC, WA, OR, ID, and if time permits, Northern Cali in the mountains, looking forward to the torque monster!
ripngrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #3872
Gobius
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripngrip View Post
Thanks, and I chose the Black (fast one), it is an unregistered demo, so warranty as if new when I register it, but has 4,000 miles on it. So it has had first service, and then the cam recall, plus a full service at that time. Will need nothing but tires in the short term

And that is where my wife and I spend our summers, BC, WA, OR, ID, and if time permits, Northern Cali in the mountains, looking forward to the torque monster!
I just visited your bike today over at MI - Dave says they're just waiting for the luggage, and it will be ready to go. Definitely like those crash bars. I bought an 09 demo bike from them back in November (a red one), and my skinny wheel just came in. The rumors of a price drop are true. Cost me $438
Gobius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #3873
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobius View Post
The rumors of a price drop are true. Cost me $438
Heated grips at $113...I could live with price cuts like that for everything.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #3874
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Kirb, pull the valve covers on your '13. There is a good chance you will find roller tappets under there. Word is that the '13 big blocks have rollers. I'd appreciate confirmation.

Peter Y.
Ran Big Girl into the Tuscon Guzzi dealer today for a service. Steve is the man there. Good guy, easy to talk to, knows his stuff. I asked him about the roller tappets as he has a 2013 sitting there and he said definitely no and where the hell would you put
them. Not much room in there. He also showed me the same not perfectly aligned adjustable windshield that will dig into the faring if pulled all the way up. So I guess they are still working on Fridays over there.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #3875
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
He also showed me the same not perfectly aligned adjustable windshield that will dig into the faring if pulled all the way up. So I guess they are still working on Fridays over there.
LOL.

When I messed with mine, it seemed that the lower portion of the wind screen is ever-so-slightly curved inwards towards the fairing and when you put the screen all the way up, that lower bit digs in. A few rubber washers fixed mine so it doesn't rub, but it just looks to me like it's more of a windscreen issue than a slider alignment issue (at least on my bike....maybe it was made on a Thursday..... ).

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #3876
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Ran Big Girl into the Tuscon Guzzi dealer today for a service. Steve is the man there. Good guy, easy to talk to, knows his stuff. I asked him about the roller tappets as he has a 2013 sitting there and he said definitely no and where the hell would you put
them. Not much room in there. He also showed me the same not perfectly aligned adjustable windshield that will dig into the faring if pulled all the way up. So I guess they are still working on Fridays over there.
It's been confirmed that the new 8v Norge at least has roller tappets. Apparently, the New Cali does as well. I would assume that the newest Griso's and Stelvio's will or do have them as well.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #3877
kirb
should be out riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
It's been confirmed that the new 8v Norge at least has roller tappets. Apparently, the New Cali does as well. I would assume that the newest Griso's and Stelvio's will or do have them as well.
I would think there might be one or two 2013 bikes that may ~not~ have rollers. Time will tell.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #3878
rockywidge
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripngrip View Post
Alright, I've been lurking for months, reading all the threads on the Stelvio, trying to convince myself to just keep my 2006 VFR, but the new bike itch won out. I don't physically have it yet, but completed the order on one of Moto International's leftover '09 Stelvio demos. I'll be importing it from Seattle to Vancouver, likely in the next couple three weeks.

I noticed the NTX when it was released last year, and kept sitting on it at the local dealer, and finally went down to Seattle 2 weeks ago, met Dave (great experience at Moto International, reputation is well deserved), took a test ride and loved the bike. I also rode a 1050 Tiger, sat on GS's, Super Tenere, Multi, etc, but kept coming back to the Guzzi. And the pricing on the leftover 09's was too good for me to justify getting the newer NTX.

Ordered up the Guzzi trax bags, crash bars, hand guards, heated grips (aftermarket, thanks to this board learned can't turn OEM grips on while riding, would not have been a fan), and the euro signals/mirrors. Really looking forward to some fun this season on the Stelvio, was a very engaging bike on the test ride.

Will post some pictures once I get the bike, but in the interim, here'e one from the fall, one of the last long trips my wife and I took (she rides the F800ST):
Hey , congrats on the Stelvio from MI . I was looking at those as rode a buddy's here on Vancouver Island and really liked the bike . I just traded my 09 Griso in on an 012 Stelvio after being awe struck at the Vancouver MC show last Friday . I should just stay away from those places ! Seriously though , I'm one happy dude and can't wait for some decent weather to pick her up . I got it from Valley Yamaha and they were great to deal with and have some very passionate guzzi guys there .
I can't say enough about Dave at MI and his dedication to customer service . Makes the big corporate dealers look pretty bad . If you need something though Valley won't disappoint and know Dave would agree .
Nice pics of your bikes and looks like a familiar road . Lets keep in touch and have a Stelvio day on the BC coast . There's enough of them around and do think there will be more as is a great bike . Like you , I sat on all the rest of the adventure tourers . Thought about the Multi- Strata but not fussy on the looks and don't go off road enough . I road a Triumph Tiger and wasn't real impressed with the handling although loved the motor .
Have a great time out there on your new ride and look forward to pics . I'll do the same when I pick up mine if the rain ever stops .

Cheers, Steve
rockywidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #3879
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

My MM10 lights from Mondo Motos showed up today. Very good turnaround time! Less than a week from order entry to sitting in my garage.

I'll get them hooked up this weekend and then report back. First impression is dang these things are tiny. About the size of a golf ball. I got the "Lights Only" version and they came as expected: Just the lights with about 10" of wire and the stainless steel mounts. I plan to hit the mounts with some rattle-can black paint before I mount them up. Pics soon!

Could have used the little boogers today. Boy did the weather peeps miss the mark. Pissing down rain on my ride home. Hard to even see much of the way. The good news is my new KLIM PowerXross gloves worked as advertised and my hands were nice and dry. My legs....well, not so much. I REALLY need to crack open the piggy bank and get some of those KLIM Traverse pants. *sigh* My aging BMW Rallye 2 jacket did well. The shell was soaked but I was nice and dry with the GoreTex liner in place.

-SM
Old 01-25-2013, 04:45 AM   #3880
kirb
should be out riding

Quote:
I plan to hit the mounts with some rattle-can black paint before I mount them up. Pics soon!

I REALLY need to crack open the piggy bank and get some of those KLIM Traverse pants.
-SM
I had a hard time finding Traverse in my size. Klim C-service emailed me a September restock date! I posted a thread in the gear section and a few posted links to places you can still get most sizes.

If you want those brackets powder coated, PM me. I can do that for you cheap (like, free). You pay there and back. Turnaround is 1 day.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #3881
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
I had a hard time finding Traverse in my size. Klim C-service emailed me a September restock date! I posted a thread in the gear section and a few posted links to places you can still get most sizes.

If you want those brackets powder coated, PM me. I can do that for you cheap (like, free). You pay there and back. Turnaround is 1 day.
Thanks for the offer Kirb. I may give you a shout if the rattle can approach doesn't work out. The mount is stainless, so I may have trouble with paint. We'll see.

-SM
Old 01-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #3882
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

New lights....well, one light anyway

Well, I had a little time to mess around last night (after mopping the puddles off the garage floor from my gear hanging out to dry..... ), and I just took a couple pics of my handiwork. I wanted to show the difference between the stock aux lights (made by Hella for MG) and the MondoMoto MM10 LEDs. So....I replaced my busted Hella with one of the MM10s and took a few photos so you all could see the difference.

Here's a shot with the lights on from about normal height:

Next is a shot from a little higher:

Notice there's a lot less "blooming" from the Hella. This is because the Hella is primarily a fog light, and it has an internal metal barrier that blocks the light from going too high. The MM10 is a "focused beam" (per the side of the box they came in), so there's no such restrictor inside the light body. This might be good or bad, depending on what you're looking for. My primary concern is blinding oncoming cars at night, so I'll need to be mindful of these lights when I'm on the little back roads and be sure to switch them off when I approach other cars, because they are very bright.

The are also tiny! About the size of a golf ball. Check out this pic:

Note I still haven't painted the mounts. I just wanted to try them out. Also notice my fancy new Sumitomo waterproof connector (not the final wire routing....just needed to get it off the header for the pic). I know, pretty sad when someone gets all excited about a connector, but these are really nice, are super easy to use, and only cost about $2 fully assembled. I crimped and soldered the wires to the pins so I won't have to worry about oxidation later.

Finally, the sharp-eyed among you will notice my latest farkle.....a clamp-on MRA Xcreen.

Wow....is that thing well made. No clue how well it works yet, but it's so adjustable I can't imagine not being able to find a position for it that will remove the little bit of buffeting that I have when cruising at.....um....let's just say "typical California highway speed".

One note on the Xcreen that another member on this board also made: When I took the parts out of the boxe(s), I thought OMG, how am I going to put all these little bits and pieces together? The instructions aren't terrific, but luky for me they came with good pics, so I was able to sit and go through everything until it finally made sense. Once I figured it all out, I was really impressed with how much thought went into making all of it. Can't wait to give it a try! I'll report back how it works after a few days of riding with it.

-SM
Old 01-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #3883
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,582
SM-

I would really like to hear how that screen extension works once you put it though the paces. I was thinking about an aftermarket windshield but was wondering if this might be better.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #3884
kirb
should be out riding

Quote:
Finally, the sharp-eyed among you will notice my latest farkle.....a clamp-on MRA Xcreen.
-SM
How do you like the MRA? I liked what it did for my FJR, but hated the bubble edge that gathered light for any angle. You can ditch the 'arms' and just pivot off the mounts. This sometimes will tighten things up a bit and get the parts count down a few.

I just got the Wunderlich screen in today. When the bike comes home to roost I will have a few days of farkle time.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #3885
ripngrip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockywidge View Post
Hey , congrats on the Stelvio from MI . I was looking at those as rode a buddy's here on Vancouver Island and really liked the bike . I just traded my 09 Griso in on an 012 Stelvio after being awe struck at the Vancouver MC show last Friday . I should just stay away from those places ! Seriously though , I'm one happy dude and can't wait for some decent weather to pick her up . I got it from Valley Yamaha and they were great to deal with and have some very passionate guzzi guys there .
I can't say enough about Dave at MI and his dedication to customer service . Makes the big corporate dealers look pretty bad . If you need something though Valley won't disappoint and know Dave would agree .
Nice pics of your bikes and looks like a familiar road . Lets keep in touch and have a Stelvio day on the BC coast . There's enough of them around and do think there will be more as is a great bike . Like you , I sat on all the rest of the adventure tourers . Thought about the Multi- Strata but not fussy on the looks and don't go off road enough . I road a Triumph Tiger and wasn't real impressed with the handling although loved the motor .
Have a great time out there on your new ride and look forward to pics . I'll do the same when I pick up mine if the rain ever stops .

Cheers, Steve
Sounds good Steve, and congrats on the NTX. I went to Valley Yamaha as well, looked at the NTX and White 2011 they had, got good vibes from them as well. A lot of knowledge and passion for the brand. Let's keep fingers crossed for an early spring!
ripngrip is offline   Reply With Quote