User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #3931
hngngnthr
Geriatric degenerate

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
It's more the tippy, unstable, topheavy factor, and the resistance to inputs I was concerned about (and thanks James for the clarification on that point).
I'm 73 and 32" inseam. I have no problem. Once it's moving it's light as a feather. Very stable. After you stop, you're on your own. Then you notice the weight.

Riding the twisties requires very little input. Reverse turns take a little more time and effort than a lighter bike to reverse but once in the turn it's dreamland.

One note of caution. You do need to sit on the bike and check how close your left knee clears the left side cylinder. It's pretty close for me and is a show stopper for some that are in the 33" inseam category. Don't try to check this on the sidestand, do it on the centerstand to get accurate results.
hngngnthr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #3932
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Yup... these things are way too heavy to take off road.....

The sand was to soft too support the bike on the side stand... So....

I am 6'4" with a 34" inseam. Lots of room between the heads and the knees.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein

Forseti screwed with this post 01-31-2013 at 02:00 PM
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:53 PM   #3933
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
OK. Now you're just showin off.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:28 PM   #3934
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,197
I believe the red is the 2009 model, correct? Does it have ABS and TC? Really like that color.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #3935
ripngrip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
I believe the red is the 2009 model, correct? Does it have ABS and TC? Really like that color.
Red was the 2009 color (along with gloss black), and they did not have ABS or TC available. I believe 2010 for ABS (silver or white) and then 2012 (Orange and Flat black NTX) has the ABS and TC.
ripngrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:56 AM   #3936
MadMike20
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33

Speaking of Traction Control, do the majority of NTX owners ride with the ATC on or off?
I picked up my 2013 NTX in December and have put about 500 miles on the bike both with ATC on and off.
Can't tell the difference when I have it on, so I just kept it off for no real reason.

Mike
Old 02-01-2013, 07:01 AM   #3937
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,728
ATC off for me. I hit dirt roads as much as possible and the ATC sometimes cuts into my fun.

I'll turn it on for pavement if it's raining, though.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:19 AM   #3938
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMike20 View Post
Speaking of Traction Control, do the majority of NTX owners ride with the ATC on or off?
I picked up my 2013 NTX in December and have put about 500 miles on the bike both with ATC on and off.
Can't tell the difference when I have it on, so I just kept it off for no real reason.

Mike
ATC on for me on the street. Having that added bit of security for when I hit a patch of oil or radiator fluid is worth it to me. It's also great when it's pissing down rain. Like James, when I go off-road, both ABS and ATC get turned off.

-SM
Sock Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #3939
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMike20 View Post

Mike
Like you, I can't tell the difference with ATC on or off. Maybe it's because my "off road" riding is rather tame and usually on nicely graded gravel roads. Ergo, I don't bother with the TC switch.

I definitely turn off the ABS on gravel, though. The effect is very noticeable when I need to stop quickly.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #3940
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hngngnthr View Post
I'm 73 and 32" inseam. I have no problem. Once it's moving it's light as a feather. Very stable. After you stop, ... Then you notice the weight.
I'm 79 with a 31/32" inseam. I pretty well agree with what was said above. My previous bike was an '09 Wee-ABS, which now has been sold (thank goodness) and is living a new life in Chicago.

I bought the '12 Stelvio NTX in June, 2012 because, after several years of looking at Guzzi bikes and talking to the owners, I decided I wanted to own/ride one in my riding life. The NTX was the model that best fit my riding needs -- long distance touring, camping trips and cycle rallies, normally 12-15K miles per year. It offers the same upright seating position, long travel suspension and "pack-mule loading" capability that I had on the Wee.

The Stelvio is about 100# heavier than a similarly set up Wee. I have to pay more attention to the weight when moving it around my garage, putting it on/taking it off my lift, riding slowly and stopping. Other than that, the weight is not an issue for me. I have to be a bit more careful when doing short radius turnarounds but I believe that's related to the steering geometry of the NTX as compared to the Wee.

Granted, the dealers are more widely spread, but I don't consider that an issue in today's world of overnight shipping. Also, I have easy access to a host of "experts" in the forums who are willing/capable of helping me if/when I have difficulties. So far, I've ridden the NTX almost 5K miles and thoroughly enjoy it. What they say about the "soul and character" of a Guzzi bike is true. The ride is very different than anything I've ever experienced.

Ride safe.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #3941
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
I'm 79 with a 31/32" inseam. I pretty well agree with what was said above. My previous bike was an '09 Wee-ABS, which now has been sold (thank goodness) and is living a new life in Chicago.

I bought the '12 Stelvio NTX in June, 2012 because, after several years of looking at Guzzi bikes and talking to the owners, I decided I wanted to own/ride one in my riding life. The NTX was the model that best fit my riding needs -- long distance touring, camping trips and cycle rallies, normally 12-15K miles per year. It offers the same upright seating position, long travel suspension and "pack-mule loading" capability that I had on the Wee.

The Stelvio is about 100# heavier than a similarly set up Wee. I have to pay more attention to the weight when moving it around my garage, putting it on/taking it off my lift, riding slowly and stopping. Other than that, the weight is not an issue for me. I have to be a bit more careful when doing short radius turnarounds but I believe that's related to the steering geometry of the NTX as compared to the Wee.

Granted, the dealers are more widely spread, but I don't consider that an issue in today's world of overnight shipping. Also, I have easy access to a host of "experts" in the forums who are willing/capable of helping me if/when I have difficulties. So far, I've ridden the NTX almost 5K miles and thoroughly enjoy it. What they say about the "soul and character" of a Guzzi bike is true. The ride is very different than anything I've ever experienced.

Ride safe.
We may live in "today's world of overnight shipping", but I don't think that applies to Moto Guzzi parts. This is my biggest concern with traveling any distances on my MG, but it wouldnt keep me from taking an extended trip.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #3942
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post

Ride safe.

79? Well done chuck. That gives me a great goal to shoot for!
Old 02-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #3943
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
We may live in "today's world of overnight shipping", but I don't think that applies to Moto Guzzi parts. This is my biggest concern with traveling any distances on my MG, but it wouldnt keep me from taking an extended trip.
Why not? When I owned my Norge, anything that was a normal wear item like valve cover gaskets (needed to check/adjust valves), inner/outer spark plugs, oil filters, etc., were always in stock at the larger Guzzi dealers (MI, MPH, RPM, Rider's Hill, etc). The only items I ever had to wait for were things like the windscreen motor (failed on day 1), windscreen (discolored within 30 days), and side case gasket.

-SM
Sock Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #3944
swmckinley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
CalSci Windshield.

I have a 2012 NTX that I bought new in September. I have 9,000 miles on her and the only thing that bugged me was the windshield. I finally pulled the trigger on the CalSci medium shield and put it on today and took it for a spin. I think it transformed the bike......no turbulence and wind noise is gone. Before I could not ride the bike for very long without ear plugs now I can and it is very quite. For a reference I have a 32" inseam and normal torso height. It is set to the bottom position and I can see over it. I would not want it to be any taller. Just thought I would throw this out there, I have no affiliation nor do I profit in any way from the sales of this product.

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Stelvioprod.html
swmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #3945
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
When I order gaskets and such from MPH in Houston, if I order them by 4pm they go out the same day. Many times, I will recieve them the next day.

MG Cycle, Harper's, Moto International are also very good about having parts in stock and getting them out, pronto.

Look, if you are on the road and have a major breakdown on ANY motorcycle, it will mean the end of your trip. In the intermountain west and in the plains States, unless you are in a major city, the little podunk dealers of anything other than HD will likely not have what you need for your particular model.

In 100,000 miles on Moto Guzzis, riding all over this country, I can say that I've never had to end a trip due to a breakdown. In fact, I've never had to end a trip early for any reason.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote