Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #4186
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
I'm expecting to get 7K or so miles on my OEM rear tire. That is virtually all loaded, solo, road touring. Most of it has been in the Mid-West. Mileage may be less in some of the Western or Southern States since they tend to run a more aggressive stone in their asphalt.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #4187
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,468
It's all going to depend on what type of roads you ride. The chip seal asphalt will really do a number on bike tire life. If you're riding on that sweet hot mix tires will last a good deal longer.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #4188
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 374
I'm at 6K miles now and have at least another 1K worth or rubber. I try not to go below the wear bars. 5K of really hard riding on bad surfaces should not be a problem.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #4189
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRVT View Post
How many miles were you able to get out of the stock tires? I am mainly concerned about the back one. Planning to take a "long way home" after a fly&ride and it would be good to know if I can actually make it without a replacement.
7k miles on first rear - replaced with very little meat left on it....second one at 5.5k miles of cooler weather and looks like I'll get the same

Front is at 12.5k miles is getting pretty cupped but hopefully will last out the rear
Old 03-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #4190
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Iszat a Pirelli Scorpion? Because I doubt I'll get over 5k out of mine.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #4191
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
The stock aux lights don't seem to hold up very well
Mine have held up just fine so far.... just under 12k miles and a number of days of rough offroad use.

Not everyone has had an issue with the Hellas, and those that have - it's been chafed wiring inside the housing.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #4192
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
Iszat a Pirelli Scorpion? Because I doubt I'll get over 5k out of mine.
The stock tire is a Pirelli Scorpion Trail, essentially a good road tire. It's on the far end (pavement-oriented) of the wide spectrum of Pirelli's Scorpion model range; be careful not to get it confused with the other dual-sport and dirt bike Scorpions (XC, AT, Rally, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Mine have held up just fine so far.... just under 12k miles and a number of days of rough offroad use.
Mine have held up fine as well, despite my best efforts to kill them.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:02 AM   #4193
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
I agree with the appeal of a 750 Stelvio but.....and this has been kicked around quite a bit on wildgoosechase...the existing engine only cranks out 50 hp at the crank. It would take a major modification, such as non Heron 4 valve heads, to get that number up to where it is even close to the competition. You would also want to upgrade the electrical output, increase ground clearance, and add provision for the NTX style farkles. It's all doable but then factor in the limited sales numbers for all this. MG makes less than 10,000 bikes every year, for the whole world. The current Stelvio probably amounted for less than 300-400 bikes in the US if you combine all from '09 through present day. It's hard to justify spending big bucks to sell 100 or so bikes a year (in the US), if they could even get to that number of 750 Stelvios. Me, I'd be all over a 750 Stelvio but I'm not optimistic.
In fact, Guzzi built just this bike 25 years ago: the V65TT, followed by the V65NTX and the V75NTX (you didn't think the Stevio NTX moniker was new, did you?). Sadly they haven't seen fit to do so again.
50hp is plenty for a streetable bike on the dirt: witness the many 650 Suzukis, Kawasakis and BMWs sold in the last decade - more than BMW, Guzzi, Yamaha and Triumph 1200s combined. But those 650s are merely singles and lack shaft-drive.
You show me the man who claims to use all the Stelvio has on gravel, and I'll show you a fool or a liar.
Since the small-blocks rev higher than the big blocks, electrical output is unlikely to be an issue.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #4194
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 966
Triumph Scrambler is only 57 HP, and its a good bit heavier. 50 HP on a 750 Stelvio "should" be ample for most situations. Agreed a slightly bigger alternator would be useful, but that shouldn't add significant cost or weight.

The 750 is also selling well in Europe, it fits in well with the new stepped licence system he have here. An adventure option to the V7 range would be a welcome addition. I also admit the first mock up looks a bit better than the finished bike.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #4195
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
I agree with the appeal of a 750 Stelvio but.....and this has been kicked around quite a bit on wildgoosechase...the existing engine only cranks out 50 hp at the crank. It would take a major modification, such as non Heron 4 valve heads, to get that number up to where it is even close to the competition. You would also want to upgrade the electrical output, increase ground clearance, and add provision for the NTX style farkles. It's all doable but then factor in the limited sales numbers for all this. MG makes less than 10,000 bikes every year, for the whole world. The current Stelvio probably amounted for less than 300-400 bikes in the US if you combine all from '09 through present day. It's hard to justify spending big bucks to sell 100 or so bikes a year (in the US), if they could even get to that number of 750 Stelvios. Me, I'd be all over a 750 Stelvio but I'm not optimistic.
+1

I think all of us who like the Guzzi brand know that MG/PGA could produce this bike....again, but won't given the low sales potential.

Having said that, given the recent positive results across the line with the new V7s, Norge, and Stelvio (by all accounts they all seem rock solid with none of the niggly problems of prior versions), IMO if PGA fixed their dealer network (improve the existing dealers by making them either actually sell/service Guzzis or drop them and add new dealerships in large metro areas where MC sales are thriving), they may find that they could sell enough of these smaller AT-style bikes to warrant the investment in R&D and production.

Time will tell, but the smaller bikes seem to be "catching on" as people realize that taking a 600+lb behemoth off-roading, while possible, isn't the best of ideas, especially solo. At least with the 450lb beasts, you have a fighting chance of getting it upright again, or getting it off you, if you happen to have an oops....... The smaller bikes also have better fuel economy, and I don't know about other parts of the US, but here in Northern Cali the price for premium is $4.50/gal again. I know that's nothing compared to other regions of the world, but it does make people here notice when their fuel bill just went up 20% overnight.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #4196
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
In fact, Guzzi built just this bike 25 years ago: the V65TT, followed by the V65NTX and the V75NTX (you didn't think the Stevio NTX moniker was new, did you?). Sadly they haven't seen fit to do so again.
50hp is plenty for a streetable bike on the dirt: witness the many 650 Suzukis, Kawasakis and BMWs sold in the last decade - more than BMW, Guzzi, Yamaha and Triumph 1200s combined. But those 650s are merely singles and lack shaft-drive.
You show me the man who claims to use all the Stelvio has on gravel, and I'll show you a fool or a liar.
Since the small-blocks rev higher than the big blocks, electrical output is unlikely to be an issue.
I am aware of the earlier NTX, Guzzi stopped making them because they did not sell. The problem is that when Joe Consumer starts to compare modern dual sport 750cc bikes, the one with 'only' 50 hp is going to be overlooked for the competition offering more, the Hyperstrada comes to mind with its 110 hp from 831cc. That's not to say you NEED more power. My 650 thumper is supposed to have 48 hp at the crank and it does just fine, offering all the power I ever need when off pavement. On the highway it runs out of steam well before the NTX. The issue comes down to what people will actually buy. Guzzi can't spend money for a new product if only the die hard Guzzi riders are going to buy it in extremely small numbers. As for the electrical output, everything is just fine until you are puttering along on a fire trail with your heated gear on 'hi' and you discover that you have been drawing more power than the engine can produce at 3500 rpm, the engine speed you were running in first or second gear. The automotive type alternators, such are found on the NTX, will crank out lots of power even at low revs...not so with the units on the small block engines.

Right now Guzzi seems to be selling more of both small block and large bikes than in the past, at least in the US. Nevertheless I believe the absolute numbers are still pitifully small, too small to justify spending much on R&D for a new model with limited appeal.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #4197
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 7,809
A V7 "Scrambler" could work well. It certainly did for Triumph.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #4198
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
That's sexy.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #4199
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #4200
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

-SM
Weeeeelllllll my ohhhhhh my!