Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2013, 01:07 AM   #4471
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudhopper View Post
But they say we'll have 10C in maybe two weeks, thats summer right?
Over a little further east of you where I am I think we're on day 2 of summer now, still patches of snow on the ground, but the roads have been clear for more than a week, the sun is out and temperatures are hitting double figures (Celsius) - so autumn rain is due in a week or so if it's like last year!
I have postponed a trip into Wales on the bike with the missus three times now (she's a bit nesh ;) )
Maybe next weekend...
Old 04-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #4472
Cloudhopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam R View Post
I have postponed a trip into Wales on the bike with the missus three times now (she's a bit nesh ;) )
Maybe next weekend...
I've been through Wales last week Monday on the bike, when I picked up the Stelvio in Manchester.
We wanted to go that Saturday originally, but that was the day when that nasty snowstorm hit the UK, so we postponed by two days and went for it.
Main roads where clear, but I was frozen stiff by the time we got to Holyhead.
Still makes for a good story now
Cloudhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #4473
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Still makes for a good story now
How many times have been nursing freezing hands or fighting tiredness on a long hike uttering in my helmet "the worse today's journey, the better tomorrow's anecdote" :)
Just over two weeks ago I was in a car near Menai, we had to turn back in the hills as the snow came down, it turned pretty grizzly pretty fast!
I wish the Hollyhead ferry was cheaper, I am yet to ride in the Republic (nearly once, but binned my CX500 of the time pulling a wheelie to impress my pillion's girlfriend - in front a of a pub full of bikers, I can feel the pangs of shame to this day!!) - it looks so good!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #4474
Cloudhopper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
I wish the Hollyhead ferry was cheaper, I am yet to ride in the Republic (nearly once, but binned my CX500 of the time pulling a wheelie to impress my pillion's girlfriend - in front a of a pub full of bikers, I can feel the pangs of shame to this day!!) - it looks so good!
Stena offers day trips, Return journey for one person with a bike is GBP60. You have 24hrs at the destination, starting with the disembarkation time. It's a good deal, used it to Wales before. Technically its the price of a no return sailing, so its half-price! :)
Cloudhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:10 AM   #4475
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Stena offers day trips, Return journey for one person with a bike is GBP60. You have 24hrs at the destination, starting with the disembarkation time. It's a good deal, used it to Wales before. Technically its the price of a no return sailing, so its half-price! :)
Excellent! I'll look into that - is Guiness in Dublin as good as the rumour?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #4476
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,577
Quote:
How many times have been nursing freezing hands or fighting tiredness on a long hike uttering in my helmet "the worse today's journey, the better tomorrow's anecdote" :)
"Adventure: Discomfort, in retrospect"?
Old 04-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #4477
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,813
Delivery Bike?

So I stopped by Costco and parked by the front door. A young guy walks up, ogling my Stelvio. "Cool bike,"' he says. He then points to the TRAX cases and asks, "are those boxes for making deliveries?" I could not fault him for thinking that as they do look like they'd be good for delivering pizzas or something.

BTW, if I haven't mentioned it before (I know that I have) I'm not a fan of Jesses, TRAX, or other big metal box-type luggage. I'm watching for something else to replace mine.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #4478
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post

BTW, if I haven't mentioned it before (I know that I have) I'm not a fan of Jesses, TRAX, or other big metal box-type luggage. I'm watching for something else to replace mine.
Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge

http://wolfmanluggage.com/index.cfm?...&product_id=96

Marc
Old 04-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #4479
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,692

Today near Storm Lake, Iowa.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:26 AM   #4480
Chuck in Indiana
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
... I'm not a fan of Jesses, TRAX, or other big metal box-type luggage. I'm watching for something else to replace mine.
As an option, Guzzi offers the Stelvio in the European/UK markets without the Trax rear cases. Those riders add the Norge rear cases, if they need some carrying capability. They are side-loading, not as large but would be a bit more style-ish.
Chuck in Indiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:39 AM   #4481
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck in Indiana View Post
As an option, Guzzi offers the Stelvio in the European/UK markets without the Trax rear cases. Those riders add the Norge rear cases, if they need some carrying capability. They are side-loading, not as large but would be a bit more style-ish.
While the there are advantages to top-loading cases, and I like the look of the Trax cases, ultimately I feel that they are poorly-built and not as useful as the clamshell-style cases that I had on my old K1200RS. For me, the big 40L SKB cases from Caribou are a good compromise. Far more robust than the Traxes and with more capacity while also being no wider. A little heavier, I think, but noticeably lighter than the Pelican 1520/1550 and Storm iM2600 options.

My second choice would definitely be the Wolfman bags that Lomax posted, though I appreciate that the Caribous have built-in keyed locks and I'm not quite sure how the capacity of the Wolfman bags measures up.
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:28 AM   #4482
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,186
The Traxx bags are built fine....as long as you don't crash and end up upside down down a hill with them mounted

I had Jesse's on an R1150GS Adventure, and they were stout enough to hold up in a mild crash - but also quite a bit heavier than the very lightweight Traxx bags.

The Wolfman bags are a great option too.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:34 AM   #4483
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
The Traxx bags are built fine....as long as you don't crash and end up upside down down a hill with them mounted

Regardless of that, I still feel like they are all "show" and no "go". Thin aluminum, riveted, some leak, ...
James Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:46 AM   #4484
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
While TRAX bags could be beefier and yes some leak I still much prefer them to clam shells. There are better and stronger top loaders available which is the way I would go if I was to change bags. Were I planning on doing a extreme off road long duration ride I would go with soft bags such as the Wolfman setup but until then I will stick to top loaders.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:35 AM   #4485
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,813
I have found the top-loading panniers to be a problem when my bike is loaded with a large bag across the seat. I can't open the panniers open without wrestling with the bag.

Clamshell panniers have their issues too, but I prefer them. I'll have to look into the cost of the Norge panniers.