Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2007, 05:43 AM   #31
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power of Soul
The abomonation of the word 'Adventure' has begun.
Begun? I think the question is really when will it end. As soon as Honda brought out an off-road scooter you knew we were in trouble. Then again,
it just means the segment is growing which is likely a good thing. If Triumph and HD can do it, why not Guzzi? Me, I'm just waiting for that Goldwing Adventure............
rider33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:13 AM   #32
mr moto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
i hope it looks better than this , that,s bloody horrible
mr moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #33
duckrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 993
What's that ugly box on the side of the engine?
duckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 03:18 PM   #34
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckrider
What's that ugly box on the side of the engine?
the oil cooler...its also the first Guzzi 850 to get one...along with the new 1200 '8 valve'...they should be in a higher state of tune than previously...
JohnG. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:30 PM   #35
soloyosh
Dad and husband

Oddometer: 5,477
The 850 sounds fun... but I wish it at least came with a 19" front.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:08 PM   #36
Fidel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Just in case someone is still interested: Here is the latest attempt to show us how the new Stelvio will be like. Apparently Moto Guzzi has confirmed that not only one, but two new Stelvio's will be available: One 850 2 valve (like on the Breva), and one with the new 1200 8 valve engine, according to www.raptorsandrockets.com. Alas, Guzzi is taking on the new Triumph Tiger 1050 rather than the GS. Or so it is speculated. Let's hope they bring on a bike worthy of the Stelvio name.

Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #37
westnash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,246
very interesting
westnash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:56 PM   #38
young skywalker OP
Qual es fecha de hoy?

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidel
Just in case someone is still interested: Here is the latest attempt to show us how the new Stelvio will be like. Apparently Moto Guzzi has confirmed that not only one, but two new Stelvio's will be available: One 850 2 valve (like on the Breva), and one with the new 1200 8 valve engine, according to www.raptorsandrockets.com. Alas, Guzzi is taking on the new Triumph Tiger 1050 rather than the GS. Or so it is speculated. Let's hope they bring on a bike worthy of the Stelvio name.
I'd take that over a Ducati MultiStrada any day of the week.

bg

2000 Moto Guzzi Quota 1100ES
1998 Ducati M750 (rat track bike)

young skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:29 PM   #39
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davest
Why are bike manufactures obsessed with building pig ugly,overweight,over comlplicated and expensive bikes for the adv market, especially when BMW has that covered with their range of poser bikes. I'd like to see more lightweight 650 to 800cc bikes, singles and twins Light,cheap,basic,easy to modify and with decent fuel economy/tank range.
+1

I'm OK with 800-1000 cc displacement, but no-one seems to be placing any focus on weight reduction = nimble bikes.

As interesting as the Guzzi looks, I just can't imagine it being light. How about a belt drive?

azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:17 PM   #40
Pict
A Scot in exile

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Why are bike manufactures obsessed with building pig Light,cheap,basic,easy to modify and with decent fuel economy/tank range.
Dave
I wish Yamaha would get off their asses and update the TDM (currently 900cc) - it's been holding this fort for 14 years and is just great on performance, handling and economy as a multipurpose, but needs a facelift.
Pict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:05 AM   #41
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pict
I wish Yamaha would get off their asses and update the TDM (currently 900cc) - it's been holding this fort for 14 years and is just great on performance, handling and economy as a multipurpose, but needs a facelift.
The European manufacturers -- Triumph, BMW, Moto Guzzi, Ducati -- are pushing hard, my guess is the Japanese will respond rather than risk losing sales. I've heard the TDM's current engine has been bored out as far as tolerances will allow (coming from its 750cc origin) so updating the TDM would require Yamaha to build a new motor. Frankly I'm very happy with the 900's performance and handling, but if I was buying new (as opposed to used, which I did) it would be hard to pass up the new Tiger's extra 150cc of performance for similar money.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:23 AM   #42
Mr Smith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Why are bike manufactures obsessed with building pig ugly,overweight,over comlplicated and expensive bikes for the adv market, especially when BMW has that covered with their range of poser bikes. I'd like to see more lightweight 650 to 800cc bikes, singles and twins Light,cheap,basic,easy to modify and with decent fuel economy/tank range.

Cheers,
Dave
I agree
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:37 AM   #43
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,973
Quote:

Cheers,
Dave

Sounds like a KLR to me.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:05 AM   #44
Swedge
Panzer commander

Oddometer: 75
Hmm

Yeah why do they build these expensive DL1000 wannabees. what we need is something more off raod worthy, something like a DL650 eng stuffed into a DR frame!!!
Swedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:43 AM   #45
Pict
A Scot in exile

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider
Frankly I'm very happy with the 900's performance and handling..
Hi tr - how's the winter out there? As a fellow 900'er I agree, but the loyalty also leads to frustration with Yamaha for so neglecting the concept that set the standard. I don't think they will respond, or at least, not quickly - you get the feeling that the guy(s) with the insight and taste for adventure moved elsewhere. Maybe to Kawasaki? Their Versys has some interesting features. As a Brit I have my doubts about the Tiger's durability, unless they've really improved on the last model's penchant for rust. Must really annoy the engine dept., who came up with the goods. Still, even with that heinous silencer it looks a whole lot better than the V-Strom that seems to dominate this site - without any doubt that's the ugliest pile on the planet. No, I lie - the orange plastic dustpan from KTM has that honour.

Pict screwed with this post 01-24-2007 at 10:53 AM
Pict is offline   Reply With Quote