Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #4786
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oca View Post
I thought I would drop in after reading Leafman's write up of his '12 Stelvio NTX. His write up was spot on, by the way.

I live in the Santa Rosa Valley, CA. It is between Santa Monica and Santa Barbara. Great riding just out my door.

I just purchased the same bike yesterday with 34 miles on the odo. I now have 150 miles.
Congrats on the purchase. May I ask where you bought and what color the bike is?

I live very close to you, also in the SR Valley.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #4787
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
All I'm going to say is that if you like the k60's you owe it to yourself to try the E07's.
I found them superior in every way.
Interesting. I have an entirely open mind about tyres - it may be old, slow and small, but it's always open..., so I'm keen to know more: specifically, what sort of mileage can you typically expect out of them on a 1000cc+ dualsport?
And what sort of riding/roads/loads do you use them on?
Finally, wasn't there a recall on E07s recently?? If so, I remember it as being exceptionally badly handled here in Aus: the importer just clammed up, didn't reply to queries and replacement tyres were weeks in coming - though I think everyone eventually wemt home happy.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #4788
Oca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Congrats on the purchase. May I ask where you bought and what color the bike is?

I live very close to you, also in the SR Valley.
Hi Dan,

I bought the burnt orange from Vespa of Thousand Oaks.

They were quite easy to deal with.

I am on the corner of SR Road and Moorpark Rd.
Oca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #4789
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Well... I have them on my Stelvio, on the wife's Tiger, and my riding buddy has them on his GSA.

We average just shy of 20k from a set. The wife is primarily on tarmac roads but the Stelvio and GSA see a lot of dirt roads, logging roads and trails.
The recall was handled very well in Canada likely because there is only one dealer in all of North America and they went all out to keep people happy.
The E07 is very predictable on virtually any surface we have around here. Everything from soft and deep sand/gravel and dirt to chip sealed roads and pavement. No clay though so I can't say how they would handle that.
We have found they handle all of it better than the K60's. Still waiting for a downside after 8 or 9 sets worn off.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #4790
Precis
Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer: 3,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
Well... I have them on my Stelvio, on the wife's Tiger, and my riding buddy has them on his GSA.

We average just shy of 20k from a set. The wife is primarily on tarmac roads but the Stelvio and GSA see a lot of dirt roads, logging roads and trails.
The recall was handled very well in Canada likely because there is only one dealer in all of North America and they went all out to keep people happy.
The E07 is very predictable on virtually any surface we have around here. Everything from soft and deep sand/gravel and dirt to chip sealed roads and pavement. No clay though so I can't say how they would handle that.
We have found they handle all of it better than the K60's. Still waiting for a downside after 8 or 9 sets worn off.
Hmmm - certainly sounds like I should give them a go: thanks!
That is awesome mileage, though I'll wager our average riding temps are a bit higher than yours; mostly in the low 30s C, often up into the mid-40s; when it gets down to 15 deg C or less, I generally park the bikes and become a driver, not a rider!
Too bad I just (2 weeks ago!) just stuck a new set of Anakees on my wife's bike - and a third K60 on mine!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #4791
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Well then, an early congrats on the impending nuptials!
Since you've owned Guzzis in the past, you already know what a gem they are, and the Stelvio is no exception. I think you'll find the fit and finish to be excellent and overall design to be top notch. And yes.....all day comfortable for sure.
-SM
Thank you! I have to get my motorcycle funds in order, by selling a couple of bikes, and saving the rest needed for a Stelvio. I have family in Seattle and I try to visit them every year. Perhaps I would fly to Seattle and purchase a new Stelvio from the very man I bought my new LeMans from 30 years ago and ride it home to Texas.
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #4792
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideDualSport.com View Post
Thank you! I have to get my motorcycle funds in order, by selling a couple of bikes, and saving the rest needed for a Stelvio. I have family in Seattle and I try to visit them every year. Perhaps I would fly to Seattle and purchase a new Stelvio from the very man I bought my new LeMans from 30 years ago and ride it home to Texas.
That sounds like a perfectly good excuse....ermmm.....REASON.....to go visit the relations. Do it in the fall when the weather in both locales is terrific (and most points in between, like CO....which I'm sure is on the way ) and you'll have a trip to remember for many years.

Let's see....is there a "green with envy" smiley....nope, just that one barfing, and that's not appropriate here.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #4793
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi Dan,

I bought the burnt orange from Vespa of Thousand Oaks.

They were quite easy to deal with.

I am on the corner of SR Road and Moorpark Rd.
That's what I thought. That's the bike I test rode. I checked on it a week or so ago and it had ~35 miles on it. I put 7 of those miles on. It's a nice bike and ran sweet. It convinced me I wanted a Stelvio.

Monica is great to deal with.

I got an email from her today my 2013 should be in Saturday.

I'm near Santa Rosa & Adobe Way.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 05-02-2013, 07:07 AM   #4794
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precis View Post
Hmmm -
That is awesome mileage, though I'll wager our average riding temps are a bit higher than yours; mostly in the low 30s C, often up into the mid-40s; when it gets down to 15 deg C or less, I generally park the bikes and become a driver, not a rider!
Definitely higher temps for you... I don't park the bike till below zero and snow and it rarely gets much over 30 for any length of time so your lifespan will likely suffer as a result. If you have much sharp rocks or shale it may be a good idea to get the "Dakar" version due to the heavier ply / stiffer sidewall.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #4795
Oca
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
That's what I thought. That's the bike I test rode. I checked on it a week or so ago and it had ~35 miles on it. I put 7 of those miles on. It's a nice bike and ran sweet. It convinced me I wanted a Stelvio.

Monica is great to deal with.

I'm near Santa Rosa & Adobe Way.
I will not be hard to spot.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:47 AM   #4796
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:

Congrats!

And best of luck getting any sleep between now and then.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #4797
Oca
Gnarly Adventurer

I do have a technical question, since this is my first adventure type bike.

How much off roading I will do remains to be seen. I will have to hook up with some experienced riders prior to attempting.

However, my question, should I keep the ATC on when off roading, or in sand?

I have heard to disengage the ABS when off roading,

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

TIA.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #4798
stevie88
That's gotta hurt

Oddometer: 17,675
Quote:
I do have a technical question, since this is my first adventure type bike.

How much off roading I will do remains to be seen. I will have to hook up with some experienced riders prior to attempting.

However, my question, should I keep the ATC on when off roading, or in sand?

I have heard to disengage the ABS when off roading,

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

TIA.
If you're going truly off road, turn all those aids off too. Spinning the rear and locking it up at times are necessary.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #4799
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
If you're going truly off road, turn all those aids off too. Spinning the rear and locking it up at times are necessary.
Agreed. Most rider aids are not real "aids" in off-road situations.

I have quite a bit of off-road experience. Maybe we can try some mellow stuff after I get my bike. I rode the Saddleback Mtn area in south Orange County last weekend on my DRZ.

There's a nice ride in the hills behind Santa Barbara that's pretty easy dirt road. It makes for a nice day ride and a good place to start. Last time I rode this area was on the KLR. I'd like to go back on a beast next time with my wife 2 up.

00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 05-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #4800
Oca
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Agreed. Most rider aids are not real "aids" in off-road situations.

I have quite a bit of off-road experience. Maybe we can try some mellow stuff after I get my bike. I rode the Saddleback Mtn area in south Orange County last weekend on my DRZ.

There's a nice ride in the hills behind Santa Barbara that's pretty easy dirt road. It makes for a nice day ride and a good place to start. Last time I rode this area was on the KLR. I'd like to go back on a beast next time with my wife 2 up.

Thanks for the response.

Nice photos. We do have the best riding in the US.