I can do better than that.

K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #902
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk
So, in other words, it would fit the average Italian rider perfectly.
Posing seems to be more important than riding here, so if you remove that ugly skid plate, you'll be OK.

[TaSK]
This is the most ignorant statement I have read on any forums ever. Putting on miles to make a statement is a character disorder. Next time you get on your German overpriced moped in your around the world in 80 days outfit, tell yourself, am I making a statement?

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #903
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by capriccio
This is the most ignorant statement I have read on any forums ever. Putting on miles to make a statement is a character disorder. Next time you get on your German overpriced moped in your around the world in 80 days outfit, tell yourself, am I making a statement?
This thread got derailed by posts from GSpot that got dropped in here by a moderator. If he doesn't like the posts maybe he should delete them, not confuse and clutter up good threads.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:30 PM   #904
minkyhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
took a test ride today ..i liked the stelvio
heavy clutch in town alittle grabby too
the main problem for me is that is has no low down power till around
5k at which point it pulls sweetly and is free reving and fast

it would be hard work touring and a pain in the butt two up ...there is no go at all in 6th

gs varadero and ve strom would be out of site in top gear roll ons
you shouldnt need to hold low gears on 1200 v twin

other than that it was a sweet ride
i think they will need to address the engine problem on the next model

most of the other big trailies have no need to go over 5k revs unless your on a mission ....the stelvio only comes out to play then which is fun but a pain in ass long term methinks
i would guess peak torque is well in to the 6k rev range

IMG]http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8423/stelvio2sx8.jpg[/IMG]
By minkyhead at 2009-01-27

Old 01-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #905
kluts
The Lost Tourguide

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by minkyhead
took a test ride today ..i liked the stelvio
heavy clutch in town alittle grabby too
the main problem for me is that is has no low down power till around
5k at which point it pulls sweetly and is free reving and fast

it would be hard work touring and a pain in the butt two up ...there is no go at all in 6th

...most of the other big trailies have no need to go over 5k revs unless your on a mission ....the stelvio only comes out to play then which is fun but a pain in ass long term methinks
i would guess peak torque is well in to the 6k rev range

Hmmm. Minky, for how many miles/km did you get a chance to ride on the Stelvio? I did about 60 on one, on secondary and tertiary roads. I thought it pulled just fine from 3K RPM (certainly no worse than a GS). You are right, its real power begins at 5K. But I thought there was enough flywheel action and torque to handle most situations quite well. Getting the wheel to lift out of a curve in 2d at 3500-4K seemed easy.

(edit)
Here are the figures: Torque in foot-pounds/NM
Stelvio: 74/108, 2009 BMW 85/110
Horsepower
Stelvio 105, BMW 105.

My 05 GS has 100 HP and about 77 ft-lbs torque.

Both the Stelvio and '08-09 BMWs are said to have most of their power delivery and torqe above 4K more like 5K PM. My GS is pedestrian, even balky below 3K and isn't really happy until 4K.

I thought the Stelvio to be slightly superior in a broader range than my GS and certainly it generated better horsepower I could feel, above 6K. But like you say, there is little point in exceeding 7K RPM. Considering everything overall these bikes are first cousins and maybe even siblings, they behave in such predictable ways. And even if I have to keep remembering my GS is 13K miles old, and the Stelvio had 600 on it, the simlarities were greater than the differences.

I think a chain driven rider would really notice the heaviness of the rear drive on the guzzi. I would love to take one on a long trip just to find out what it is really like, every day.
Any motorcyclist caught holding up automobiles on a winding road will be forced to sell all fringed accessories, buy plaid pants and take up golf.-- Peter Egan ... my internal dialogue was a full on harangue. The Buddhist call this dialogue “the monkey mind” well my monkey mind had a brand new tire in its cage and was whippin’ it around... -Vermin, The Grapes of Rat

kluts screwed with this post 01-28-2009 at 04:49 PM
kluts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #906
minkyhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluts
Hmmm. Minky, for how many miles/km did you get a chance to ride on the Stelvio? I did about 60 on one, on secondary and tertiary roads. I thought it pulled just fine from 3K RPM (certainly no worse than a GS). You are right, its real power begins at 5K. But I thought there was enough flywheel action and torque to handle most situations quite well. Getting the wheel to lift out of a curve in 2d at 3500-4K seemed easy.

(edit)
Here are the figures: Torque in foot-pounds/NM
Stelvio: 74/108, 2009 BMW 85/110
Horsepower
Stelvio 105, BMW 105.

My 05 GS has 100 HP and about 77 ft-lbs torque.

Both the Stelvio and '08-09 BMWs are said to have most of their power delivery and torqe above 4K more like 5K PM. My GS is pedestrian, even balky below 3K and isn't really happy until 4K.

I thought the Stelvio to be slightly superior in a broader range than my GS and certainly it generated better horsepower I could feel, above 6K. But like you say, there is little point in exceeding 7K RPM. Considering everything overall these bikes are first cousins and maybe even siblings, they behave in such predictable ways. And even if I have to keep remembering my GS is 13K miles old, and the Stelvio had 600 on it, the simlarities were greater than the differences.

I think a chain driven rider would really notice the heaviness of the rear drive on the guzzi. I would love to take one on a long trip just to find out what it is really like, every day.
the bike i rode was only a few hundred miles old ...
maby it was a little tight ...imust say it was very flexible and would pull high gears at low revs ...
i can only say as i found i did about 20 miles on the local motorways and that was where the lack of pull became most noticable
i know that the v strom and 1150 gs have tall 6th gears [owned them both but they are much more willing to pull from 70 to 90 without a downshift the varadero and 1200 gs even more so cos of the gearing ...two up i think i may find myself searching for 4th gear to get some proper instant shove at 60 ....ill stand corrected but the bike i rode was not pulling as i think it should or expected it too

dont get me wrong work the gearbox and the guzzie will pull in a very unguzzilike way ....it just felt gutless in the higher gears

just didnt suit me thats all
Old 01-30-2009, 03:32 AM   #907
ADVwannabe
Salty Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
The latest edition of Australian Motorcycle News has a test on the Stelvio in which they claim the midrange will improve as the motor loosens up. I got cautious agreement to this statement from a Grisso riding mate, maybe it's the case?

I'm more worried about that 180 rear tyre. What's wrong with a 150?

Still waiting for my dealer to come up with a demo......or even some floor stock!!
Old 01-30-2009, 07:21 AM   #908
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVwannabe
I'm more worried about that 180 rear tyre. What's wrong with a 150?

They have pictures of a narrower rear wheel and tire, so it's coming.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #909
Mike.C
Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer: 588
For those that may have heard rumors, let's put the record straight.

There has been a series of failures of the tappets on the Stelvio 1200 8 valve engine, and also in the same engine when fitted in the Grisso.

As you can imagine there has been a LOT of speculation about a failed design, bad manufacture, and of course inuendo about Guzzi's in general.

Well here is the real story.

Yes there has been a failure, but it is confined to a limited batch of parts, indeed there is ample evidence of many bikes that have exhibited no signs of failure and are being ridden regularly. However, as of today Guzzi are carrying out a worldwide recall of ALL affected bikes in a known serial number range fitted with the 1200 8 V engine which involves replacing the camshaft and bowl in bikes that have been ridden and the bowl in new unridden showroom stock bikes.

Now I can't remember exactly when the first failure was reported, it was in the UK something like 7 months ago, but I would say that this is pretty good service - let's compare:

About 7 months to recognise an issue by getting enough failures to be sure that it is not an isolated one off problem, diagnose the problem (no mean feat of investigative parts analysis), design a fix, have replacement parts manufactured to a new standard and or design, write comprehensive dealer notes with photo instructions of the exact procedures to be followed and then issue a world wide recall to all dealers.

to

BMW final drive failures that still seem to be popping up regularly in GSpot and AFAIK no fix, redesign or recall from BMW has ever been forthcoming.

Game set and match - Stelvio

Mike.C screwed with this post 02-06-2009 at 05:21 PM
Mike.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #910
Guzzirider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Yes Guzzi normally manage their recalls well.

I'm one of the lucky Stelvio owners with no issues so far- and I bought one of the very first bikes.

Not sure if mine is included in the recall- dealers with access to their section of the MG website can see which engine numbers are affected.

http://www.servicemotoguzzi.com/publ...n/002-2009.pdf
Guzzirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:10 AM   #911
pbears
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Just got my recall this morning. Mine was a very early bike and I have had no problems thus far. Regards. Martin
pbears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:57 AM   #912
Guzzirider
Adventurer

Did you get a letter from the importers?

Mine was an early bike (Feb 2008) so I am assuming mine will be recalled too but I have heard nowt yet.

Cheers

Guy
Old 02-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #913
sotosfz6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
i received my recall yesterday....I didn't have any problem,too...20000 km till now
sotosfz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #914
Guzzirider
Adventurer

Got my notice on Wednesday- dealer has ordered the bits for me and will call when ready.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #915
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
http://www.servicemotoguzzi.com/publ...n/002-2009.pdf