Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2009, 12:46 PM   #976
nipmik
noob

Oddometer: 7
Ackers the dealer I use is Moto ecosse in Glasgow and I will stick with them from now on. Moto strada seem ok but did not want to play ball with my bmw for a part/ex so I did not buy from them. At the moment there is a glut of new dealers but how long will they last. I prefer to deal with someone with history of a brand. There is also a dealer in Preston could be worth having a look at.Nipmik
Old 06-16-2009, 11:46 PM   #977
Ackers
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Dealer in Preston

Nipmik

I assume the dealer in Preston you referred to would be Shorrocks. I live in Preston and Shorrocks is within pushing distance of my home (which is useful given how often the Stelvio has broken down so far).

They carried out the warranty work when the bike was stopped because of a loose connector in the alternator. However they were also the people who tried to convince me that the whirring/graunching/clunking noise emanating from the starter motor on pick up was because the battery was a bit low. They just seemed to want my bike out of the garage so when that failed I took it to Millenium in St Helens. To be fair they do seem to have sorted the starter motor problem this time but they also do seem to be at their wits end with Moto Guzzi/Piaggio and their constant warranty refusals without explanation. That can only have an adverse affect on their interest in the marque. I know my interest will be sorely tested if I have another breakdown!!

Ackers
Ackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #978
Milar
Life is an adventure.

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuma
I remember some years ago asking the sales manager of a large multi brand dealership why they no longer stocked Guzzis. He rolled his eyes and told me that they had had more warranty claims for Guzzi than all other brands they carried put together. This, allied to the fact that Guzzi were by far the worst company they had ever dealt with, made the decision to let the Guzzi franchise go a very easy one.

I like Guzzlers, I've ridden more than a few and I'd love to own one, but I just don't think I will ever have the courage to buy one, I don't think I'd ever feel I could trust the damn thing.

Every few years you hear how Guzzi have turned over a new leaf and all the old quality, back up, part supply, factory support etc. etc problems are now behind the company, and then it starts all over again.
Since you have never owned a Guzzi, and will never own a Guzzi, why are you spreading rumors about something of which you know nothing? One conversation "some years ago" is hardly reason enough to slander an entire company.

M
Old 06-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #979
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuma
I remember some years ago asking the sales manager of a large multi brand dealership why they no longer stocked Guzzis. He rolled his eyes and told me that they had had more warranty claims for Guzzi than all other brands they carried put together. This, allied to the fact that Guzzi were by far the worst company they had ever dealt with, made the decision to let the Guzzi franchise go a very easy one.

I like Guzzlers, I've ridden more than a few and I'd love to own one, but I just don't think I will ever have the courage to buy one, I don't think I'd ever feel I could trust the damn thing.

Every few years you hear how Guzzi have turned over a new leaf and all the old quality, back up, part supply, factory support etc. etc problems are now behind the company, and then it starts all over again.
Stick to serving the beer and snacks Mr. Nooby Wooby and let the mature adults express opinions and actual facts. NOW GET MOVING! Time is ah wasting.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #980
nipmik
noob

Ackers thanks for informing me of your troubles with Shorrocks, another dealer struck off my list. I would suggest you ring Moto Ecosse and see what joy you could get from them. A phone call don`t cost much. I did hear that Piaggio have laid off staff here so their previous customer care has probably got worse. Its funny how some guzzi dealers stay that way for years and some just come and go. Triumph seem to be the same. To be perfectly honest if my bike proves unreliable I will get rid guzzi or not at the end of the day I use it for transport and expect something to work. Its ok tinkering with bikes if you pay peanuts for them but if you are paying nearly ten grand for a bike it should work.Nipmik
Old 06-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #981
Jonny955
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
TT spec differences?

MCN have published a small report on the Stelvio TT and mention revisions to the cams, airbox & fuel mapping which make it more usuable at lower revs. Guzzi literature is typically innaccurate so can anyone 'in the know' expand on this?

I test rode the standard Stelvio recently and loved it - but I was discouraged by the fuel tang range. It is not clear if the TT has any internal fuel tank changes either (for example, to make space for the larger airbox). Have to say I was mightily impressed by the top end rush and handling at speed of the standard model.

Jon
Jonny955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #982
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,136
The Stelvio NTX comes with a lot of extras as well. Looks good in MCN, hopefully they'll put the review online.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #983
Mozman16
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
The Stelvio has been 'updated'
"a new camshaft and airbox and revised the engine management. The result is a boost to the mid-range at the expense of 3bhp at the top end. "
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...io-review.html

good review too

Mozman16 screwed with this post 06-17-2009 at 05:48 PM
Mozman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:23 AM   #984
Ackers
n00b

Stelvio Review in the DailyTelegraph

Quite a good review of the reworked Stelvio!

50 m.p.g.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It looks like the new cams, airbox and map have finally stopped the beast running rich all the time. I am ecstatic when I get 37mpg out of mine.

So then Moto Guzzi, how about a recall to sort out what is obviously a fault with the original model???

We can dream cant we?

After my problems with the plug caps recently I rode through an almighty cloudburst yesterday without any problems. Even the speedo sensor didnt pack up. Perhaps my bike has got the message that if it doesnt buck up it's toast!!

Off to the Isle of Skye tommorrow. Weather forecast is dismal but never mind, the Stelvio will be able to pit its wits against a 1200GS, an 1150GS, a 955 Tiger, a Varadero, a Thunderace and an SV650.

All I have to worry about is whether I get carried away trying the delights of the Skye Brewery!!!

Old 06-18-2009, 06:27 AM   #985
NorthernHank
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
10'000 miles of pure bliss

I have been reading some (well, a lot of) posts on this thread. Got my Stelvio in July 2008, put 10'000 miles on it now. Apart from the well documented speedo sensor issue EVERYTHING is fine and dandy. This is a wonderful motorcycle. I get great support from my local dealership (Moto Schor, Berne, Switzerland). Recall done (no problem whatsoever), Metzeler Roadtecs lasted over 6000 miles. A great ride (as long as you stay on roads, that is...)
Love it to bits!
NorthernHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #986
Wookee
Y! bike is all tall

Oddometer: 104
Well the search function says it can't handle "ntx". So anyway, not sure if it's posted.

The NTX version:

Wookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #987
sotosfz6
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookee
Well the search function says it can't handle "ntx". So anyway, not sure if it's posted.
I think because used to named TT..they changed the name
sotosfz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:36 PM   #988
nipmik
noob

latest Guzzi News

ANOTHER week of layoffs for the ordinary workers of the Moto Guzzi Mandello. The official confirmation has arrived yesterday during a meeting at the Industrial Union, and so the doors of the historic factory mandellese will remain closed from June 22. Today we held an assembly with workers in which the trade unions announce the layoffs and will decide if any forms of protest in front of yet another closure.

" Unfortunately, the improvements that we expected - says Giuseppe Francioso of MSW - did not arrive, according to the ownership Piaggio there was a decline in sales and this led to the new layoffs, and we will pay the costs. " The situation is very difficult with this new suspension of production that was in the air. In the historic Mandello plants are still employed 183 workers, but Moto Guzzi is also involved with many outside companies that produce parts of vehicles and of course the world tied to dealerships.
Now it is difficult to think of new strategies, even if by today among workers may lead to the desire of new protests, strikes, or perhaps more likely pickets in front of the historic motorcycle company of Mandello del Lario.

We will see what to do by listening to all - explains Francioso - we will speak today and evaluate the possibilities. We recognize that the situation is becoming increasingly difficult. We are experiencing a time of profound difficulty with the market for large displacement motorcycles and the economic crisis is not helping some production like ours. " There is resentment towards the top of Piaggio accused of not addressing the problem with appropriate strategies. The decline in sales affects the whole market of two wheeled vehicles, but according to many workers Piaggio does not believe enough in Guzzi and production could leave Mandello. The cancellation for the second consecutive year of the days dedicated to Guzzisti which attracts thousands of enthusiasts is read as a sign of desire to move away from the shores of Lake Como.

From PIAGGIO arrive reassurances but a continuous decline of the market for large displacement bikes does not allow to continue production at full pace and the parent company has again decided to resort to layoffs, which should be the last holiday until August. In September, we could get the final decision on the future of the Mandello eagle.

A few weeks ago, during a meeting that was held in Rome, the heads of Piaggio had assured local institutions that were not made cuts in production. In light of the new sales data from these assurances may not have any more weight. Stefano Cassinelli.

This is a translation of an Italian article and was posted on the guzzista website. Its tough times for all at the moment and is strange after the article printed in mcn on wednesday with Piaggio predicting bright things ahead for Moto Guzzi.Nipmik
Old 06-22-2009, 01:27 AM   #989
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipmik
Its tough times for all at the moment and is strange after the article printed in mcn on wednesday with Piaggio predicting bright things ahead for Moto Guzzi.Nipmik
Ever heard of marketing spin otherwise known in the normal world as lies? If you haven't it's exactly the same as the drivel you get from the mouths of Politicians
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:34 AM   #990
Ackers
n00b

Isle of Skye

Well I've just come down from the Isle of Skye. to quote the famous Scottish song 'Donald wheres yer Troosers' by Andy Stewart!

Three days and 1200 miles later the Stelvio has done much to redeem itself in my eyes. We only had one breakdown and it was the accompanying Varadero that suffered from 'chain suck' (usually associated with muddy mountain bikes) and pulled a loop of chain up between the engine and the front of the swinging arm. Two hours of pushing, pulling, swearing and loosening bolts eventually freed the chain and after sawing the chain guide off he completed the trip. The sight of lots of chain goo full of dismembered O rings (like Black Spaghetti Hoops) reminded me why I bought a shaft drive bike in the first place.

The speedo sensor packed up twice in the intermittant downpours we encountered but 30 miles of dry road saw it dry out and 'chime' back in with avengence. A friend who works for Britich Aerospace (and rides an 1150GS) reckons he can obtain some very hi-tech sealant (for use in building the Airbus) which will fix the problem. I wait with baited breath.

The bike gave a good account of itself and I have totally shredded the rear Pirelli Scorpion on the rough scottish B roads. I got 3000 miles out of it which is about the same as the MT90s on my Elefant.

Yes the flat spot can be slightly annoying when going for it on fast open A roads but it is useful on very narrow gravelly roads where too much grunt would have had the back end slipping away. I managed to keep up with a local on an XR500 on a particularly narrow twisty tortuous pass so I was quite happy. The rest of the lads backed off and left me to it, so it must have been fast.

All I need to do now is sort out the hangover, regain my voice (lots of laughing and shouting), lose those 9 pounds I put on, source a new rear tyre and wash the filth off the bike (and obviously then fix the speedo sensor again)!!!!!!!

Lets do it again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ackers