Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #166
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,684
Here's another one in Quebec that has an open basket, adventure style carrier. Under $1000CDN so pretty cheap if you factor the advantage of the $US

http://www.cyclope2000.com/photos/Cy...615071651.html
Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 AM   #167
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,651
Royal Enfield Trailer

I have been enjoying this thread. I had a Bushtech trailer on 1990 Honda Pacific Coast 800 for camping.
Just for ideas, go to
http://store.royalenfieldusa.com/
and look at the RE trailer.
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #168
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
Ironic that this got bumped.

Just last night I was thinking to myself -

"self, it's time to look into a moto-trailer."

toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #169
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,120
Updated the hitch

It ain't pretty, but the mock-up is ready to go to the welding shop...

Current wheelbase seems to be about 67". The tire clearance is a bit insufficient.

100_3489

100_3488

100_3487

100_3486

100_3485

100_3484

Improve your cosmic karma here!

ag_streak screwed with this post 03-19-2009 at 10:28 AM
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:39 AM   #170
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 6,684
Looking good

Are you fabbing if out of aluminum? I guess some of those pieces in steel would be really heavy.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #171
klrbaer
Tim

Oddometer: 280
Hey ag streak, Looks great. Looking at the pin where the trailer articulates, remember to keep your torerances close.005-.010 and make sure to use a pin that is threaded, to be able to increase the hitch pin presure to better stabeleze the trailer. It looks great. I can't wait to see the finished trailer.
God Bless us all.
88 NX 125, 99 Valkyrie, 02 KLR
Pulling my homebuilt monowheel
klrbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #172
perkgana
az-peru

Oddometer: 129
I started thinking about a trailer after imagining what could happen if I strapped my snowboard (sideways.. as a spoiler) on the back of the bike and hit a wind gust at 75 mph! hahahaha
perkgana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:27 AM   #173
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
Looking good

Are you fabbing if out of aluminum? I guess some of those pieces in steel would be really heavy.
Oh yeah, all aluminum to keep under my weight targets. My only concern is the pivot points, swingarm and hitch. They may need bushings to prevent force and vibration from enlarging the holes.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #174
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
www.thirdwheelonline.com

-for sportbikes, it mounts to swingarm spools
1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #175
EwokGB
Single Wheel Freak

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak
Oh yeah, all aluminum to keep under my weight targets. My only concern is the pivot points, swingarm and hitch. They may need bushings to prevent force and vibration from enlarging the holes.
I'm using these...

The tow pivot has a M10 thread up the middle and fixes through your hollow rear axle with spacers to centre it.

The “C” shaped parts are welded in the end of a “U” tube which forms part of the tow bracket around the rear wheel.

The trailer is then simply offered up to and over the tow pins and the collets pushed on and pinned to attach the trailer to the bike J - and no – it won’t pull off!!

EwokGB screwed with this post 04-01-2009 at 03:29 PM
EwokGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:48 AM   #176
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider

Oddometer: 520
Nice!!..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwokGB
I'm using these...

The tow pivot has a M10 thread up the middle and fixes through your hollow rear axle with spacers to centre it.

The “C” shaped parts are welded in the end of a “U” tube which forms part of the tow bracket around the rear wheel.

The trailer is then simply offered up to and over the tow pins and the collets pushed on and pinned to attach the trailer to the bike J - and no – it won’t pull off!!

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
rw4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:41 AM   #177
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

What are these called, what are they originally used for, and where do you get 'em?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EwokGB
I'm using these...

Old 04-03-2009, 07:00 AM   #178
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Plan B

Well, me and the welder didn't "click" I carefully explained what I was after, but he didn't seem to get it. I wanted a quick and dirty prototype, he wanted to maximize his price. He estimated $800 for the work, saying it was a lot of welds.

I see his point, so I designed another frame with fewer joints and welds. It uses a single tube main frame instead of twin flat-stock main rails. I thought the flat-stock idea was a bonus, but apparently, it causes more hand-work.

A large-diameter tube would have great stiffness and can be bent to the shape below in minutes on a tube bender (the diagram has angled bends only because they were easier to draw). Then a simple three-piece hinge part for the swingarm pivot and a single hole for the main pivot. Simple.

The swingarm is conceptually the same.

The hitch is five easy pieces. Steel rod instead of aluminum wouldn't weigh much more, and can be bent without kinking (I'd still prefer a hollow-tube hitch loop.) The plates that mate to the bike axle could be the ones posted by Ewok.

TubeFrame

Old 04-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #179
OPNYD
Bald, old, crabby, & fast

Oddometer: 38
[quote=ag_streak]Well, me and the welder didn't "click" I carefully explained what I was after, but he didn't seem to get it. I wanted a quick and dirty prototype, he wanted to maximize his price. He estimated $800 for the work, saying it was a lot of welds.

I see his point, so I designed another frame with fewer joints and welds. It uses a single tube main frame instead of twin flat-stock main rails. I thought the flat-stock idea was a bonus, but apparently, it causes more hand-work.

A large-diameter tube would have great stiffness and can be bent to the shape below in minutes on a tube bender (the diagram has angled bends only because they were easier to draw). Then a simple three-piece hinge part for the swingarm pivot and a single hole for the main pivot. Simple.

The swingarm is conceptually the same.

The hitch is five easy pieces. Steel rod instead of aluminum wouldn't weigh much more, and can be bent without kinking (I'd still prefer a hollow-tube hitch loop.) The plates that mate to the bike axle could be the ones posted by Ewok.

[/quote
FWIW: I built something like your trailer during the boring winter of 2007 in Green Bay. Easiest pivot/best tolerances: use a universal joint yoke assembly (available at any farm supply store). The u-joint is way better than a bolt/bushing and it permits the appropriate up & down + side-to-side movement essential for a single-wheel trailer. Weld one end to your hitch assembly to attach to the bike & the other end to the trailer. Take pains to ensure the u-joint yoke is perpendicular to the ground (and parallel to the tire) before welding it on.
My design has a swingarm (on a bushing) plus a coil-over shock from a youth ATV. I use the trailer to transport a tandem bicycle or excess gear (grocery shopping when I'm dragooned into the task). Bullet-proof - I've run 90+ mph: no issues behind my R12GS. Doesn't change the beast's fuel economy one bit.
OPNYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #180
EwokGB
Single Wheel Freak

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak
What are these called, what are they originally used for, and where do you get 'em?

Thanks!
Had them made specially for my trailer. The design has been modifed further now. No r-clip. The collet is a bit bigger and housed a push lock to 1. fix it to the bike and 2. make it secure.
EwokGB is offline   Reply With Quote