Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2009, 10:54 AM   #181
EwokGB
Single Wheel Freak

Oddometer: 9
Just a quick tip - tilt the trailer pivot towards the bike slightly at the top. Have you tried manoeuvring the bike with the trailer on the back? See what happens when the trailer starts getting out to the side or if you need to do a sharp U turn. Now try playing with the angle of the pivot. If you are never going to be in that situation its not an issue. In our little country lanes over here - it is!
EwokGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #182
BigJohnBundy
Hav-A-Tampa

Oddometer: 720
I like this idea. It even has a pretty wide tire for more stability..
And .. It's not very expensive.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #183
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Oddometer: 7,001
Must be a KLR owner, talk about cheap
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #184
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 788
Maybe we are overthinking a trailer and this guy is on his mark. We could be a garage sale away from a single wheel trailer. Adds something to borrowing your neighbors wheel barrow.

How do you think it is attached/hitched to the motorcycle?

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #185
perkgana
az-peru

Oddometer: 129
hehehe this guy rules!!!!

Man... i'll throw away all my parts and get one of those!
perkgana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #186
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2

Oddometer: 609
Looks like it would work on the highway but it would not be fun tight turning in a parking lot. It should have a jettison button to kick it loose if bad guys are chasing you.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:16 AM   #187
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2

Oddometer: 609
How about pulling the Dual Sport with the Concours?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...56#post9640256

Old 04-27-2009, 08:42 AM   #188
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,176
Very similar indeed! Thanks for that video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONWHEEL
This trailer looks very similar to the one you are designing. Except this one looks like it uses a single sided swingarm and scooter wheel.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #189
1Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Trailtail

I have e-mailed both address' for them and left a phone message- in March and April- never had a response from these guys.

Sucks cause it seems like it may be the ticket for me and they are pretty much "local"...
1Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:42 PM   #190
Hoak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this from both ADV Riders and Motorcycle Manufactures... I've used a Bob on my mountain bike and it's brilliant; I'd never use paniers again! And though I've never pulled a single wheel trailer with a motorcycle I'm sure it would offer similar handling, control, and efficiency benefits, over bags or luggage of any kind.

Buell would make an excellent illustration of a Bike manufacture that could easily exploit and benefit from this -- as their 'bagged' bike is the most blatant antithesis of all their design goals and one loused up shaggy looking setup -- rather like discount Kmart luggage hung on a discount Kmart kids swing set.

Were Buell to make a purpose built one wheel trailer (or work with one of the companies currently making them) it could so obviously integrate with Buell's aesthetic, design and engineering goals: mass management (lower the CG of the touring payload by two feet or more), be tuned and styled to go with the bike it was built for, and offer some handsome mark-up revenue in a very tight margin business, and a real utility/cost/performance benefit to the Consumer -- Win/Win for everyone...

A motorcycle manufacturer also has the resources to put a high level of engineering and polish on trailer design where they could turn enormous resources to: brilliant hitch design and integration, tuned suspensions, highly ruggedized design, ergonomic features -- they could even take design integration wholesale and really integrate your 'third wheel' to take the mass of some of the fuel off the bike getting it down to the level of the axle... But the level of polish, recognition and legitimacy they bring to it is where a big difference could be made. Probably never happen, but it's damn cool there are talented folks that have the tools and time to fill the the void!

Hoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:09 AM   #191
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,176
Those are very insightful comments, Hoak, but I don't think we'll live to see it.

If manufacturers think naked standards are "too fringe" for the US market, they sure as hell aren't going to accept the liability of a motorcycle trailer.

Towing anything with a motorcycle is sheer lunacy, anyway! Just ask half the people reading this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoak
I'm surprised there isn't more interest in this from both ADV Riders and Motorcycle Manufactures... I've used a Bob on my mountain bike and it's brilliant; I'd never use paniers again! And though I've never pulled a single wheel trailer with a motorcycle I'm sure it would offer similar handling, control, and efficiency benefits, over bags or luggage of any kind.

Buell would make an excellent illustration of a Bike manufacture that could easily exploit and benefit from this -- as their 'bagged' bike is the most blatant antithesis of all their design goals and one loused up shaggy looking setup -- rather like discount Kmart luggage hung on a discount Kmart kids swing set.

Were Buell to make a purpose built one wheel trailer (or work with one of the companies currently making them) it could so obviously integrate with Buell's aesthetic, design and engineering goals: mass management (lower the CG of the touring payload by two feet or more), be tuned and styled to go with the bike it was built for, and offer some handsome mark-up revenue in a very tight margin business, and a real utility/cost/performance benefit to the Consumer -- Win/Win for everyone...

A motorcycle manufacturer also has the resources to put a high level of engineering and polish on trailer design where they could turn enormous resources to: brilliant hitch design and integration, tuned suspensions, highly ruggedized design, ergonomic features -- they could even take design integration wholesale and really integrate your 'third wheel' to take the mass of some of the fuel off the bike getting it down to the level of the axle... But the level of polish, recognition and legitimacy they bring to it is where a big difference could be made. Probably never happen, but it's damn cool there are talented folks that have the tools and time to fill the the void!

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #192
EwokGB
Single Wheel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoak

It's what we are working on...

www.mono-trail.co.uk

EwokGB screwed with this post 05-14-2010 at 08:35 AM Reason: Revised picture
Old 05-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #193
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Great trailer but how do I use it on a BMW?
Old 05-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #194
EwokGB
Single Wheel Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Alexander
Great trailer but how do I use it on a BMW?
The picture shows the hollow rear axle fitment. Bikes without the hollow rear axle can use a small pair of drop plates. Then there are other drawbars (they are interchangeable on the front) for our tow vee - that can be used in place of a conventional tow hitch and a single sided swing arm fitment that we are working on. You didn’t think that was it did you
Old 05-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #195
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast

Didn't see anything on the web site so I thought I'd get you a friendly nudge