Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #211
ky2008
2008KLR

Oddometer: 111
Just a simple sketch. Not to scale but kayak is 9'6", tire will be a scooter tire that is about 12" OD, and of course the bike is my KLR. I figure it will weigh about 80 lbs including the kayak. Suggestions?

ky2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #212
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,014
I am placing my order this week for one of these to tow behind my GSXR1000. Test maiden voyage will be from Toronto to Indianpolis and back, to watch the MotoGP races atthe end of the mth. Last year i did the soft panier and tail bag thing....through Hurricane Ike. Needless to say, it was a soggy ride. This way everything stays dry.
Easy on, easy off. No permanent stuff or racks on the bike to mar the appearance. Weight carried low, and tongue weight placed on rear axle, so rear suspnsion of bike isn't taxed coping with luggage load.

1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike

omnivore screwed with this post 08-09-2009 at 09:37 PM
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #213
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore
I am placing my order this week for one of these to tow behind my GSXR1000. Test maiden voyage will be from Toronto to Indianpolis and back, to watch the MotoGP races atthe end of the mth. Last year i did the soft panier and tail bag thing....through Hurricane Ike. Needless to say, it was a soggy ride. This way everything stays dry.
Easy on, easy off. No permanent stuff or racks on the bike to mar the appearance. Weight carried low, and tongue weight placed on rear axle, so rear suspnsion of bike isn't taxed coping with luggage load.

Who is the manufacturer and where can they be purchased?

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:01 AM   #214
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity
Who is the manufacturer and where can they be purchased?
www.thirdwheelonline.com

While Ilike the appearance, shape and style of the Uni-Go and EwokGP's trailer better than the Thridwheel, they are both too expensive for my budget.....and the shipping for either would add to the cost, whereas Thridwheel is only an hour from my home.

omnivore screwed with this post 08-10-2009 at 04:08 AM
Old 08-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #215
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,144
I think those Third Wheel's are very nice, I really like 'em, but there's just one problem I have with them...

80 pounds empty!

That's just insane!

I have a design for a trailer that will weigh about half that. I'd love to get it down to around 30 pounds, but I can't see it happening. The scooter wheel assembly I have is probably close to 20 pounds alone.

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #216
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Three things:

1. That's pretty damn cool.

2. I have built a two-wheeled trailer to pull my 12' kayak behind my bicycle. The wheel and boat cradle strapped to the boat, and a molded-in hole at the bow was used for a hitch/pivot.

I'm not sure if the wheel relationship could be maintained if you used the boat as a structure like that in a motorcycle application. You'd probably want more integrity to keep everything in line.

3. Also, for the kayak application, I would suggest sticking with two wheels. That's gonna be a lot of weight up over the trailer wheel that could rock side-to-side, even if you have no slop in all the hitch fittings, etc. And you're dealing with the width of the boat anyway, so the wheel track of the trailer wouldn't be that big a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky2008

Old 08-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #217
ky2008
2008KLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak
Three things:

1. That's pretty damn cool.

2. I have built a two-wheeled trailer to pull my 12' kayak behind my bicycle. The wheel and boat cradle strapped to the boat, and a molded-in hole at the bow was used for a hitch/pivot.

I'm not sure if the wheel relationship could be maintained if you used the boat as a structure like that in a motorcycle application. You'd probably want more integrity to keep everything in line.

3. Also, for the kayak application, I would suggest sticking with two wheels. That's gonna be a lot of weight up over the trailer wheel that could rock side-to-side, even if you have no slop in all the hitch fittings, etc. And you're dealing with the width of the boat anyway, so the wheel track of the trailer wouldn't be that big a deal.
I stole your design. I've wanted to build a kayak trailer for a long time. Searched and searched for a design I liked and couldn't come up with something that most importantly to me, was light. Originally planning on going with a two wheel, no suspension design, I was looking at 75-80 lbs with out the kayak on it. With your modified design I think I can get it to be 80 lbs with the boat mounted.

My only real concern, like you mentioned, was for the kayak causing it to be top heavy and want to lean to one side. Like you said, even with a slop free hitch this would be difficult. Also like you said, with both designs the boat would be what made everything ridgid. In a sense being the strength of the trailer.

What do you suggest? After all, it is your design, just modified a little.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #218
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Does anyone know of a trailer that would haul my Hobie Mirage Adventure (16 ft) kayak (pedal, paddle, sail, fish) behind an '06 V-Strom DL1000? It would weigh a lot with the additional accessories. It would be great to drag this kayak to many of the NorCal and NorVada lakes for fun, recreation and camping.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #219
ky2008
2008KLR

Here is a view from the top without the kayak mounted.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:44 PM   #220
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 579
The kayak can be the frame if you make a bolt on removable hitch for the front of the kayak. Then form a piece of band aluminum the shape of the bottom of the kayak, 1/4 inch x 6 inches wide. I'm not a kayak guy so you may need to adjust the thickness or width. Have it come up past the top of the kayak, about 1 inch above the crown of the kayak. Form another piece of band to fit the top of the kayak. Hinge one side like a hasp lock that goes on a door. Pad all the areas that come in contact with the kayak. Some how weld/bolt a wheel/suspension to the bottom of the band. If you made it adjustable fore and aft, you could keep the tongue weight the same according to what you pack in the kayak. Use 2 wheels if you want a lower center of gravity. Keep in mind how light your kayak is, if you do suspension it will have to be very light or it will be just like no suspension. I have seen many dirt bike trailers that have suspension for 2000/2500 pounds but carry 750 pounds total, bikes and gear. That's equivalent to no suspension. I've driven behind those trailers and when they hit a big bump the wheels come off the ground.

A capo kind of looks like my idea. The wheel or axel if your using 2 wheels, would go where the adjustment screw is. I think this is the ticket to keeping well below an 80 pound trailer. I had this idea for pulling a dirt bike. I would have made a "shoe" on the towing bike to hold the front wheel. Then an axel and 2 wheels that bolt to the thick after market skid plate on the bottom of my engine. Kind of like the training wheels they put on Honda 50's for little kids. I never went ahead with that idea because I found this light weight trailer on craig's list.

I haven't had any problems towing the dirt bike. Cross winds and truck turbulence feels kind of dicey. I run the speed limit on nice days. If it's real windy I just slow it down a little.

If you use my idea all I ask is, POST UP SOME PICTURES.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #221
ky2008
2008KLR

I originally had an idea to use one of those two wheel carts they make for kayaks and canoes that you use to pull ur boat from where u park your truck to the water. Then use something strapped to the front of the kayak to act as a hitch and hook to the bike. My only concern was the non high speed bearings in the wheels and the lack of suspension. I still may go this route and make my own "cart" to use as a trailer with high speed bearings.

As far as the shock on the one wheel design, I'm thinking of using a mountain bike shock.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:47 AM   #222
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky2008
What do you suggest? After all, it is your design, just modified a little.
I suggest ditching the one-wheel design and going with something like this. This one is $870 but you could probably replicate the design yourself and it would be lighter. Think how much lower and more stable the mass of the boat would be...

http://www.castlecraft.com/canoe_trailer.htm

Old 08-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #223
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak
I suggest ditching the one-wheel design and going with something like this. This one is $870 but you could probably replicate the design yourself and it would be lighter. Think how much lower and more stable the mass of the boat would be...

http://www.castlecraft.com/canoe_trailer.htm
Neat trailer. Less than 100 lbs.

How does that suspension work? Wonder if you front and rear triangular braced the axle if that would hurt the suspension.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #224
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

So...tonight I went to the shop that Juan builds the "ThirdWheel" trailers in. To put my deposit down on mine. He had the body of mine on a rack, doing the custom wiring I requested so that I have a lighter-socket plug inside the trailer to power various chargers and a small air compressor. He also showed me all of the options in person, and then I was able to select the stuff I wanted, like powdercoating etc.

He also gave some wiring options for my bike, and we came to a final decision so he can wore it all up, and install the mount to my rear axle.

Allin all, he is very personable. He even took the time to show me each of the prototypes, and why he made each revision and how it solved the problems he was encountering. Hats off to a guy who doesn't just sit back on his laurels once the product is done, but instead strives to perfect it. After his trip to Mexico and back, he had garnered first hand experiences that allowed hi to revise the trailer to address all of his findings and concerns.

Look for me at Indy if you wana take a look (Black and Yellow GSXR1000 with black trailer). I am pretty excited!
Old 08-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #225
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Happy to report that my experience with ThirdWheelTrailers all went great. I went there today to be shown the ins and outs of how to attach and detach my new trailer, and maintainanceinfo etc was given to me. Rode hom tonight with it behind my GSXR, and an pleased to report that I can barely tell it's there. Much easier to hoist bike off of sidestand with trailer on, thanit was with large saddlebags and tail bag. Also, while I can tell the trailer is there, it doesn't seem to affect the nimbleness of the bike much at all. I would say that on ramps and 'S' curves were all ridden like normal tonight, and the bike steers as though it were a little longer and heavier bike, like a Hayabusa that I borrowed for a week once. The GSXR is way more agile, even with the trailer on, than my old 1988 Hurricane 1000 was by itself. Overall, so far I am terribly pleased with my new purchase. I will post up once I return from my ride thru twisties in NY,PA,WV,KY, on to Indy to watch the MotoGP races next week.