Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #226
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,065
Omni,

That's awesome. Congrats!

When you get a chance, can you please post some detailed, close-up pictures of the hitch, hitch pivot, and mounting points where it passes through the axle? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnivore
Happy to report that my experience with ThirdWheelTrailers all went great. I went there today to be shown the ins and outs of how to attach and detach my new trailer, and maintainanceinfo etc was given to me. Rode hom tonight with it behind my GSXR, and an pleased to report that I can barely tell it's there. Much easier to hoist bike off of sidestand with trailer on, thanit was with large saddlebags and tail bag. Also, while I can tell the trailer is there, it doesn't seem to affect the nimbleness of the bike much at all. I would say that on ramps and 'S' curves were all ridden like normal tonight, and the bike steers as though it were a little longer and heavier bike, like a Hayabusa that I borrowed for a week once. The GSXR is way more agile, even with the trailer on, than my old 1988 Hurricane 1000 was by itself. Overall, so far I am terribly pleased with my new purchase. I will post up once I return from my ride thru twisties in NY,PA,WV,KY, on to Indy to watch the MotoGP races next week.
Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #227
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Oddometer: 1,013
I will take some hardware pics soon:
For now here she is-wet and dirty from rain riding.
Did some measuring and calculating, and it offers just over 155 litres of cargo space.
Attached Images

1996 YZF 600-Lost Era racebike
1999 R6-Rookie Challenge racebike
omnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:17 PM   #228
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
I will take some hardware pics soon:
For now here she is-wet and dirty from rain riding.
Did some measuring and calculating, and it offers just over 155 litres of cargo space.
Nice trailer and bike. Can you tell us about the accessories you added to the trailer?

Are you running TrailAttacks? How do they handle in the rain? How does your bike pull the trailer?

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:45 AM   #229
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Road Attacks. They have almost 7000 kms on them, and rear is about 1/2 worn out. Front will last another rear. They work good in the rain, enough that I haven't had a scare yet. They do wigle on tar snakes more than my Pilot Powers did, but they last more than twice the mileage of the Pilot Power.

I went for the optional powdercoated frame, and added a power socket into the trailer. Also got the standard wiring lead to the trailer moved from the licence plate area to the swingarm, just so it didn't loo silly with a wire hanging down from rear of bike to the trailer.

I also went for the Hella signal light option, as they are twice as bright as the standardsignals. I just wanted to be seen.

The bike pulls the trailer fine. I can hardly tellit's there except for quick left/right transitions where I flop the bike from a hardleft to hard right, like a chicane. Then it takes noticeably more effort to initiate and hold the turn. Even with the trailer attached, the GSXR is still is easier to ride and throw around than my old 88 Honda Hurricane 1000, so I guess it is a good compromise, handling wise, to add the trailer.
To compare it for my own sake, I would say the bike is easier to ride with the trailer loaded with all my stuff, than it was last yr, all the way to Indy, with 40L (each side) sadllebags, a soft tail bag, anda small backpack. Last yr I could hardly get on and off of the bike. With the trailer, I get on and off like normal, and all my stuff never gets wet at all.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #230
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Road Attacks. They have almost 7000 kms on them, and rear is about 1/2 worn out. Front will last another rear. They work good in the rain, enough that I haven't had a scare yet. They do wigle on tar snakes more than my Pilot Powers did, but they last more than twice the mileage of the Pilot Power.

I went for the optional powdercoated frame, and added a power socket into the trailer. Also got the standard wiring lead to the trailer moved from the licence plate area to the swingarm, just so it didn't loo silly with a wire hanging down from rear of bike to the trailer.

I also went for the Hella signal light option, as they are twice as bright as the standardsignals. I just wanted to be seen.

The bike pulls the trailer fine. I can hardly tellit's there except for quick left/right transitions where I flop the bike from a hardleft to hard right, like a chicane. Then it takes noticeably more effort to initiate and hold the turn. Even with the trailer attached, the GSXR is still is easier to ride and throw around than my old 88 Honda Hurricane 1000, so I guess it is a good compromise, handling wise, to add the trailer.
To compare it for my own sake, I would say the bike is easier to ride with the trailer loaded with all my stuff, than it was last yr, all the way to Indy, with 40L (each side) sadllebags, a soft tail bag, anda small backpack. Last yr I could hardly get on and off of the bike. With the trailer, I get on and off like normal, and all my stuff never gets wet at all.
My mistake. I am considering TrailAttacks so they are on my mind. I have been through two rear RoadAttacks @ 6,000 miles each and now have a Roadsmart. The front RoadAttack is still going strong @ 15,000 miles. I suspect it will be good through three rears. I agree on the tar snake issue which is scary in the Sierra twisties. The Roadsmart was installed to see if I could get more mileage. The center rubber is harder and the sides seem to be as good RoadAttack.

Do you have an interior light in the trailer? Is the trailer interior lined or coated? How does your GSXR/trailer handle under hard braking? Turning around and parking must be a concern. Diagonal parking and backing up?

I have wanted a trailer for awhile but a KLR is limited (my opinion) to which trailer it can handle simply. Now I also have a Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 I am again interested in a trailer and you give a good report plus the report is with a performance sport bike. That is impressive. Please keep the information coming.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:40 PM   #231
omnivore
SuperSportTourer

Like a Strom, GSXR has a hollow rear axle. A rod is fastened thru the axle with stainless spools sticking a couple inches out off each end of the axle. The trailer's yoke then attaches to the spools, allowing the yoke to pivot around the spools to allow up and down movement of the rig, and the tongue of the trailer incorprates a swivel to allow for left and right movement of it.

I rode 1100 miles on the way here in about 20 hrs, over the course of 2.5 days. Tmw am I will take the most direct route home from Indy, about 650 miles. Tmw or the next night I will post up a better detailed review.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:39 AM   #232
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider

Oddometer: 504
Bump: Some new inspiration

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
rw4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #233
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 738
Bump because I want to know if anyone has done any more work on this.

ag streak, have you done any more work on your trailer?

I have drawn something up and might start on the build soon if I can get a friend to help out. I have a wheel picked out but I have not found a good source for a small shock for my trailer. Does anyone know of one?

I like the design of the Trailtail but figure that the shipping will cost about half the total cost of the trailer. I can build one for less.
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:47 AM   #234
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1
ag streak, have you done any more work on your trailer?
Nope.

Quote:
... a good source for a small shock for my trailer. Does anyone know of one?
Rear-suspension mountain bike shock. (No damping...)
Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:55 AM   #235
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak
Nope.

Rear-suspension mountain bike shock. (No damping...)
Thanks for the quick reply.

NOPE! I am disappointed.

Thanks for the info on the shock. Why did I not think of that.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #236
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply.

NOPE! I am disappointed.

Thanks for the info on the shock. Why did I not think of that.
You also might consider the PitBike shocks.
Some of the stock ones are less than 10" and are stronger built than Most cheap MB shocks. (but not All. lol.)

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:56 PM   #237
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpanther
You also might consider the PitBike shocks.
Some of the stock ones are less than 10" and are stronger built than Most cheap MB shocks. (but not All. lol.)
I have looked at pit bike shocks. Most are the 10" variety and do not show a spring rate. I also believe that the springs will be too strong for my application. I am planning on a total weight less than 50 pounds. I really like the shorter ones that I found on: http://bikebuyers.com/parts.htm#suspension

The wheel that I am planning on using is actually a pit bike 12" front wheel. The only problem that I am having is that almost all of the DOT tires that I have found are really too wide for a 1.6 inch wide rim. I guess the tire will look pinched.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:49 PM   #238
ownst1100
BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer: 994
Found this in the classifieds on another website. A brand new 2001 Uni-go chassis complete minus the box.

I have a friend who pulls a Uni-go behind his Kawasaki 1400 Concours. I have alway's been impressed with how well it follows the bike at any speed and through the corners. I plan on pulling this behind my 04' BMW GSA. Would like to get some of the weight off the bike mostly my camping gear.

This box is basicly the same dimensions as a Uni-go. The differance being my box is 2" wider and has squar courners giving me more room inside. A few of the angle were copied of the Jesse luggage on the bike. And with be powder coated to match when done.

I started out with making a wooden form. Something that will retain a shape as I skin it in .050 6061 T-6. The wood form/jig will only there until I have all the pannels cut to fit and clecoed together. Once Thats done the wood will be removed and the aluminum riveted together.

I started with the rear pannel. Cut to fit and clamped in place.

Next the sides.

And then the front.

With everything clamped in place I started bending up all the angles to tie it all together. 1/8" #30 cleco's hold it all together.

After tieing all the corners together I got all the bottom pannels cut and tied in with clecoe's.

This is where im at right now. I now need to flip it over and finish the center bottom pannel so I can finish all the mounting points. Once this is done all the clecoes can be removed and the wood form set aside. Cleco everything back together and start shooting rivets.

There will be an internal frame that will be added afterwords. The frame will stiffen it all up along with a few doublers and stringers. For added strength the inside will also be spry coated in Rino linner. The top will be flat made from a 1" thick piece of honeycomb pannel that I have been sitting on for sometime. Has aluminum on both sides and will add strength for the top rack I have planned.
04' BMW GS Adventurer with Alumigo trailer
05' GoldWing with Trekker trailer
http://community.webshots.com/user/ownst1100
ownst1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #239
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

That is awesome!

Good work on the box. How did the Uni-go chassis get seperated from its box?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #240
ownst1100
BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer: 994
Quote:
That is awesome!

Thanks

Good work on the box. How did the Uni-go chassis get seperated from its box?
The person I bought the chassis from use to be a Uni-go dealer. The box went on another Uni-go over a warrenty issue. The chassis got set aside and has been sitting on a shelf since 2001. This is actually one of the originals made it New Zealand. Best part is it is new never been pulled behind a bike.
04' BMW GS Adventurer with Alumigo trailer
05' GoldWing with Trekker trailer
http://community.webshots.com/user/ownst1100
ownst1100 is offline   Reply With Quote