User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2010, 06:42 AM   #271
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,649
Trailer Kits

Interesting point. One thing to keep in mind is that yes some people complain about the price of custom parts but lots of folks are also willing to pay mucho pesos for the stuff. Metal Mule, Touratech, heck five or six years ago Jesse was selling well over a thousand sets a year! Given that decent trailers seem to be selling for 3-4000$ a kit for half that or so would probably sell. Let the builder source as many parts as possible like the kit car market and just provide a list. If it is a nice product people will buy bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurrer
The big question is how large is the market? Basically this plan caters to the person who is willing to do some work in exchange for a high quality product at a lower cost. I don't have a feel for those numbers.

While side cases is something that is definitely doable, there are already plenty of high quality manufacturers in that game. Granted no one that I know of is doing anything in kit form, but then the cost savings to the customer may just not be enough to justify such a undertaking.

The plain fact is that these small market designs are expensive to fabricate and get to the customer at prices they are used to seeing for large volume manufactured items. It is very common on this site to see people balking at the prices of these types of items. Often they have a tendency to compare the price of items made in small shops with those produced by large manufacturers. The only way you can compete in this type market is to offer something no one else does, or offer a higher quality item at a comparable price that involves the buyer putting some sweat equity into.

I am basically building this trailer for myself for long distance tarmac and mixed road dual sport touring. I dislike maneuvering a heavily loaded bike and much prefer to tow a small sturdy trailer. Most of the trailers I have seen, with the exception of the one made by Dauntless, do not look like they would stand up to that type of use. This is actually my third prototype, never having even assembled the first two before moving on to a more efficient design and manufacturing plan. I actually have a next design already in mind and will probably start on it as soon as I have road tested this one. Almost all of my design improvements to date have focused on minimizing the amount and complexity of hand work necessary to build the trailer. The next step is to verify the motion and fea analysis I have already run on the trailer assembly and use the results to tweak the structural design to minimize material.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:51 PM   #272
sbrownn
SlowMo

Oddometer: 457
I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
Interesting point. One thing to keep in mind is that yes some people complain about the price of custom parts but lots of folks are also willing to pay mucho pesos for the stuff. Metal Mule, Touratech, heck five or six years ago Jesse was selling well over a thousand sets a year! Given that decent trailers seem to be selling for 3-4000$ a kit for half that or so would probably sell. Let the builder source as many parts as possible like the kit car market and just provide a list. If it is a nice product people will buy bit.
Yes, my interest is in selling a trailer to people who will spend the money for good quality and are willing to save some money by doing the assembly work themselves. I like the designing, but I am not interested in manufacturing trailers.
sbrownn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:27 PM   #273
RoyB
Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer: 1,578
When I build mine it will have a simple rubber torsion axle.....

And a detachable, hard luggage box that can be easily removed and wheeled into a hotel/motel. When camping it will leave the trailer as a flatbed for hauling wood, water etc.

One of these days............
2004 Honda VFR abs,2001 Moto Guzzi Rosso Mandello
1971 Honda Trail CT90
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:04 PM   #274
sbrownn
SlowMo

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB
When I build mine it will have a simple rubber torsion axle.....

And a detachable, hard luggage box that can be easily removed and wheeled into a hotel/motel. When camping it will leave the trailer as a flatbed for hauling wood, water etc.

One of these days............
Yes, that is what mine has but those you are showing are too big. I have used them before and they are for much heavier trailers. I think those you show are rated at 1000# apiece. Flexiride does make smaller ones but they are really hard to source in the US. Here is a picture of a small one with the splined swing arm.

sbrownn screwed with this post 12-03-2010 at 08:13 PM
Old 07-24-2010, 06:32 PM   #275
sbrownn
SlowMo

Wheel Assembly

This is a mock up of the wheel assembly with the two flexiride shocks and swing arms.

How do you get the pictures to show up instead of just the URL?

Old 07-24-2010, 06:55 PM   #276
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Looks really interesting. Why not rivet it together? That would prevent the bolts/nuts from projecting into the interior of the trailer.

Also, how problematic would it be to run a quick bead with a welder along the folds? I'm not a metal worker/welder, so I'm just tossing this out as a potential option.

One more thing you may want to take a look at:

Yakima Racks has a really nice superlight trailer used for kayaks. The components they use may be perfect for this application. 4" of suspension travel, and it looks like 16" wheels (similar to the Bushtec wheels.)

Nevada screwed with this post 07-24-2010 at 07:15 PM
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #277
sbrownn
SlowMo

CAD Model

CAD model of trailer currently under construction

Old 07-24-2010, 09:10 PM   #278
sbrownn
SlowMo

I could

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada
Looks really interesting. Why not rivet it together? That would prevent the bolts/nuts from projecting into the interior of the trailer.

Also, how problematic would it be to run a quick bead with a welder along the folds? I'm not a metal worker/welder, so I'm just tossing this out as a potential option.

One more thing you may want to take a look at:

Yakima Racks has a really nice superlight trailer used for kayaks. The components they use may be perfect for this application. 4" of suspension travel, and it looks like 16" wheels (similar to the Bushtec wheels.)
I could rivet it together and I had thought of that but that would be more problematic for someone else assembling it as they would have to purchase the hammer and have a source of air. In addition, bolted together panels can be removed and straightened or replaced. Again, not everyone has access to a welder, especially for aluminum and it does take some practice and knowledge of the proper settings to get a nice looking bead. You would have to have either a TIG setup or a Mig welder with a spool gun. I actually have a solution that is as strong as the original aluminum but requires no welding and is a technique anyone could do.

The Yakima trailer is not at all representative of what I am trying to do.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:38 AM   #279
Motor-110
...respect my Authoritah!

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurrer
CAD model of trailer currently under construction

I like the concept. Have been mulling over getting a trailer for my GSA; this one seems to be what I may be after. Having a GSA, not looking for the pretty painted jobs out there. Anxiously looking forward to the "final" product.

Also, saw some trailers utilizing the open axle of some bikes. In my case, the 2007 GSA has an open axle and considering that it can be pulled low and tight to the bike appeals to me. What also appeals to me is a potential lower cost due to a "knock down" construction or DIY.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #280
sbrownn
SlowMo

Finishing assembly

Finally got all of the remaining pieces water jetted out. Next week I will begin the final assembly and start road testing the design. I already have a list of things to change for the next prototype, mostly involving additional water jet steps to eliminate more of the hand work. I have hopes to get to the point where there is absolutely no machining or hole drilling required; everything will be designed so the water jet can do it. These machines are incredibly cost effective.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:27 PM   #281
nohogrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Trailer and hitch for GS

I was building a trailer for my GS but then the wife bought me a set of Jessy's . Now it's in a box in my garage. Pics listed under my son Sportfaller.
The hitch turned out great too.
Check it out.

05 R1200GS
03 R1200CLC sold
86 250 XT sold
nohogrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #282
Dracothius
Berserker

Oddometer: 229
The trailer from Rokon looks pretty good. Maybe something like that.

Picture taken from Rokon.com
Dracothius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:19 PM   #283
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,298
Here's what I saw in Darby at WestFest:

'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:28 AM   #284
TWT Rider
Riiiiiiide

Oddometer: 23
here's one

Although this one's for the street more then the dirt, but it works great

www.thirdwheeltrailers.com
TWT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:40 AM   #285
Motor-110
...respect my Authoritah!

Oddometer: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWT Rider
Although this one's for the street more then the dirt, but it works great

www.thirdwheeltrailers.com
Definitely not for dirt. With that painted surface it is asking for rock dings, etc. That is one of the types that goes to axle which looks like the way to go for street applications.... However, it dawned on me to do something like that on a dual sport bike and if (when) you drop your bike on a fire service road or trail, the trailer will be fixed to the rear axle and topple over as well.