Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2006, 06:48 PM   #16
The Cheat OP
Tard

Oddometer: 300
And another(how in the hell do you post multiple pics???)
The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 06:54 PM   #17
The Cheat OP
Tard

It's hard to tell in the photo, but this section has a bunch of 2ft. deep whoops!!!
Old 01-14-2006, 06:55 PM   #18
The Cheat OP
Tard

In This one I have all three wheels in the air( Just a little, but it still counts)
Old 01-14-2006, 11:28 PM   #19
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,375
Thanks Cheater ...but it looks a bit ....flimsy?

S'pose its not really designed for highway work as well?

Is that a push bike wheel?

Is there any damping/spring or does it rely on the tyre only?
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 05:57 AM   #20
Sasquatch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,770
Here is a question. How does it back up? Many times (per day) while riding in the back country I need to back my pig of a Tiger up and turn it around on a tight two track because I ran into a dead end.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:17 AM   #21
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat
That trailer davorallyfan pictured looks like quite the gear hauler!! My trailers are mush smaller and look simaler to the BOB trailer. The only thing I was trying to patent was the hinge desingn, but I am nearly at a dead end there. Everything really was thought of by somebody else first anyway.

I am going to take some pictures of the latest trailer I built today and post them tonight!!!!!

The trailer looks good, but doesn't seem to be a huge improvement over the bobyak. I would probably suggest some triangulation of the tow bar, maybe back to the subframe mounts on your LC4, aligning the pulling forces lower. What about a 29" MTB wheel? If you stuck with 26", there are lots of cheap chinese big box store dual suspension bicycles you could pirate a swingarm/shock off of, if you wanted suspension. A lot of LD bikers swear by the suspended bob over the rigid original. I like your idea, but am not surprised that most has been previously patented. Personally, I would probably buy a closeout Bob, and modify it to suit my needs. Good luck with your project!
Old 01-15-2006, 06:18 PM   #22
Motoplaner
PNW Heel Rounder

Oddometer: 19,340
Cheat,
Looks like a very viable and well done cart. Donít know about the highway with that wheel but for the trail/gravel roads it looks great.

I can see how that hitch would probably have plenty of strength on the vertical axis but it seems like it might bend were you dragging it uphill, loaded down, through the mud and over a log etc.. maybe not.
I think the Bobjob hitch is very basic - going through/off of the axle and on a bicycle with no suspension this is a natural but on a bike with perhaps ten inches of suspension travel your design of not going off the axle would be preferred.

Congratulations.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:40 PM   #23
wheelnut46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
It looks very lightweight. Tell me, with a rigid design do you find that it bounces a lot when not loaded? I would be interested in seeing video of that trailer in action.
Good luck with your design. I applaud your desire to fulfill a need.
1946 Chevy pickup
wheelnut46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:10 PM   #24
The Cheat OP
Tard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch
Here is a question. How does it back up? Many times (per day) while riding in the back country I need to back my pig of a Tiger up and turn it around on a tight two track because I ran into a dead end.
It is pretty easy to maneuver while backing up, but does require a little more work. It's really not too bad. I am going to get a video camera to record the whole process (street,dirt, single track, jumping, and turning around on tight dirt roads)
Old 01-19-2006, 08:19 PM   #25
The Cheat OP
Tard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoplaner
Cheat,
Looks like a very viable and well done cart. Donít know about the highway with that wheel but for the trail/gravel roads it looks great.

I can see how that hitch would probably have plenty of strength on the vertical axis but it seems like it might bend were you dragging it uphill, loaded down, through the mud and over a log etc.. maybe not.
I think the Bobjob hitch is very basic - going through/off of the axle and on a bicycle with no suspension this is a natural but on a bike with perhaps ten inches of suspension travel your design of not going off the axle would be preferred.

Congratulations.
The wheel/Tire combo does pretty well on and off road. It has very strong cartridge bearings that seem to take the weight and speed. I am still going to try some other wheels though. Maybe one made for a little motorcycle like on a 50cc or something.

Now the hitch I made for my SXC is another story. Your observation is right about being strong on the vertical axis, but it is too flexxy side to side. I plan to make a new one that bolts to the passenger peg mount also. Kinda like a hard case rack.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:02 PM   #26
Whammo
Nature's toothbrush

Oddometer: 2,157
Very Interesting

I've seen motorcycles pulling trailers here in CA, but have never thought of the DMV requirements. Does anyone have an idea?
Man, how nice would it be to get some of my crap off the bike (especially 2-up) and onto a trailer?!?

Good Stuff. Doesn't look too flimsy to me, just don't overload the sucker.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:04 PM   #27
vanveen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
I met a guy from Victoria, B.C. who had a single wheel trailer like that with a mountain bike wheel, he was in the three flag classic, I met him at the Canadain border where he had already been to Mexico and he said it was no problem, never noticed his hitch, but I did look closely at one of those European egg trailers and they had what looked to be a driveshaft U-joint as the coupler
vanveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 08:15 PM   #28
01Dakar
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Eh?

Hey, Cheat, I have a small lightweight trailer that was made to be pulled by a motorcycle. I can't figure out a hitch for my BMW yet. I will try to get a picture of the trailer soon and post it.
01Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 11:01 AM   #29
The Cheat OP
Tard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Dakar
Hey, Cheat, I have a small lightweight trailer that was made to be pulled by a motorcycle. I can't figure out a hitch for my BMW yet. I will try to get a picture of the trailer soon and post it.
Cool lets see it!!! Is it a Unigo?
Old 01-21-2006, 02:29 PM   #30
wheelnut46
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Maybe a front wheel/tire from a dirtbike would work well. The rim, axle, bearings etc. would be time proven to the task and assembly/removal would be cake. Also a larger diameter tire is beneficial in many ways. The "forks"-like structure that holds the wheel in place could run horizontal (parallel to the ground) and act as support for the frame.
Just keeping the ideas flowing.
1946 Chevy pickup
wheelnut46 is offline   Reply With Quote