+1!!
Way cool!
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:29 PM   #633
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 1,044
Mockup

Still working things out, but you don't know how its going to go until you put all the pieces together.

Here's what I got so far from this evening:

Next step is to find that hitch component that only swings side to side, and holds the trailer from tipping over. I plan to attach to the swingarm, possible through the axle or on the swingarm stand bolt holes.

Couple more pictures:

GHO100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #634
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post
Still working things out, but you don't know how its going to go until you put all the pieces together.

Here's what I got so far from this evening:

Awesome.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #635
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,958
I don't see how the suspension will work. What am I missing? Otherwise I love the idea of using a hand truck.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #636
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysharkface View Post
I don't see how the suspension will work. What am I missing? Otherwise I love the idea of using a hand truck.

John
If you look carefully you'll see that the axle supports to the frame are being used as a bend-then-collapse-type suspension.

It should actually work fine so long as the loaded trailer is kept light. It'll be bouncy though. The only "suspension" action will be the flex of the forks and the frame.
k-moe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #637
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 789
Quote:

Like the idea of using readily available parts. Wondering if the forks will work as a trailing suspension part. The forks were originally designed as leading suspension and you have them as trailing suspension. Wondering if the forks would function better being mounted, more upright, to the plate. Just a thought.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #638
GHO100
Crazy George

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
Like the idea of using readily available parts. Wondering if the forks will work as a trailing suspension part. The forks were originally designed as leading suspension and you have them as trailing suspension. Wondering if the forks would function better being mounted, more upright, to the plate. Just a thought.

Thanks for the thoughts. I fought a lot on paper with how to do all this, and originally had a bicycle shock going to that cross bolt, and the other eye of it mounted to the plate. The trouble with that being the overall length, and how to attach the "spine" to the hand truck center rail.

something like this:
Old 06-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #639
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
If you look carefully you'll see that the axle supports to the frame are being used as a bend-then-collapse-type suspension.
Looks quite rigid to me. However, even if the forks were used in the geometry necessary to get them to rebound and compress the trailer would have to be heavy unless it was resprung/revalved for the lighter weight.

DakarNick screwed with this post 06-10-2013 at 04:47 PM
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #640
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,294
I use hand trucks at work so much. There's no way I would pull one on my day off riding.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #641
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Actually..... if you mount the fork to what is now the back of the trailer (the lift plate of the hand truck) and make it trail by about 10 (not going to do the math just now) it should work just fine. It might even work better without any trail. I'm envisioning that the fork clamp is attached along the top (used to be front) edge of the lift plate. There would be some fabrication of bracing though.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #642
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Four thoughts:

1. A small universal joint from a farm and home store at your hitch will allow all the movement you need, and prevent the trailer from tipping differently than the motorcycle

2. You should try to get the trailer, at least at the wheel end, lower. I pull a single wheel trailer behind my street bike, and load it heavier than you probably will, but it's amazing how much it tries to tip me over at slow speeds. At high speeds it doesn't, but first gear riding is much more work. I'd expect that each inch you lower the trailer, the less that would happen. AND, the more weight the trailer wheel carries, the less weighing down the back of your bike.

3. I'd try real hard to make the forks a suspension part of your trailer, by bolting them more vertically to the flat plate of the hand cart. You'll have to do a little more fab work for that, but it will make a very real difference when you use it.

4 If you can hook the hitch to a "sprung" part of your motorcycle, all the better. Adding the hitch weight to the swing arm will compromise your ride and handling, All suspension engineers try to minimize unsprung weight, and you're going to add more than you think, especially when the trailer bounces.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #643
GHO100
Crazy George

Thanks for the feedback.
1. We don't really have farm stores in NYC, so that'll be tricky to find, but I might canabalize a razor scooter to get the joints out of it. Got a picture sample you can show me of what you had in mind?

2. Good idea. Its a bear to manhandle right now, and pushing it around, it wants to flip itself over. Dropping the rear section a significant amount would help a lot, I think.

4. Where to hitch? I guess I was originally aiming for a setup like thirdwheel trailers, through or on the swingarm, which is what motobracket does too.

Another options would be the passenger footpegs.

I still haven't worked out that bit that goes from the bike to the trailer, basically. Bit harder to do without welding, metal shop access, etc.

Thanks again!

I'll post updates as I'm working

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
Four thoughts:

1. A small universal joint from a farm and home store at your hitch will allow all the movement you need, and prevent the trailer from tipping differently than the motorcycle

2. You should try to get the trailer, at least at the wheel end, lower. I pull a single wheel trailer behind my street bike, and load it heavier than you probably will, but it's amazing how much it tries to tip me over at slow speeds. At high speeds it doesn't, but first gear riding is much more work. I'd expect that each inch you lower the trailer, the less that would happen. AND, the more weight the trailer wheel carries, the less weighing down the back of your bike.

3. I'd try real hard to make the forks a suspension part of your trailer, by bolting them more vertically to the flat plate of the hand cart. You'll have to do a little more fab work for that, but it will make a very real difference when you use it.

4 If you can hook the hitch to a "sprung" part of your motorcycle, all the better. Adding the hitch weight to the swing arm will compromise your ride and handling, All suspension engineers try to minimize unsprung weight, and you're going to add more than you think, especially when the trailer bounces.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #644
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.
1. We don't really have farm stores in NYC, so that'll be tricky to find, but I might canabalize a razor scooter to get the joints out of it. Got a picture sample you can show me of what you had in mind?
The mower bone yard at a golf course is a good place to cannibalize u-joints. The big riding mowers that have a gear box blade drive, use u-joints in their drive shafts.

Danger4u2 screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 11:05 AM
Danger4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #645
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Her are a few inexpensive choices. http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.as...search=u-joint

Shop around and you may find a better price.....maybe.