Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #661
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos View Post
Unless I'm missing something, you need to rotate one of those brackets 90-degrees.
Yep, unless he is making a horizontal pivot between that and the bike.
DakarNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #662
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 977
I plan to use the engineering setup from thirdwheel trailers:

So, either hooking onto the swingarm spools, or modifying the axel to take a through-rod for the connection.

I don't actually see why I can't do this attached to the passenger pegs. As long as that joint i just finished holds the horizontal plane without buckling, I think it should work alright.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

Adding this

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
Yep, unless he is making a horizontal pivot between that and the bike.
www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #663
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,164
Yep.The hinge needs to swing left/right and up/down.If it doesn't,it could push the rear end on the bike out causing a slide and possible a wreck.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:54 PM   #664
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
That should work for you. But, you are still better off not hooking to the swing arm. I know some trailers do, but I think that is due to either laziness on their part, or non-swing arm hitches just don't exist.

Therefore, yes, if you can hook to the passenger pegs, that is much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post
I plan to use the engineering setup from thirdwheel trailers:

So, either hooking onto the swingarm spools, or modifying the axel to take a through-rod for the connection.

I don't actually see why I can't do this attached to the passenger pegs. As long as that joint i just finished holds the horizontal plane without buckling, I think it should work alright.

Thoughts?

EDIT:

Adding this

boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:19 PM   #665
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
That should work for you. But, you are still better off not hooking to the swing arm. I know some trailers do, but I think that is due to either laziness on their part, or non-swing arm hitches just don't exist.

Therefore, yes, if you can hook to the passenger pegs, that is much better.
Most all uni wheels mount there on most bikes.Few bikes have enough rear structure for a true trailer hitch.Cruiser do, but dual sports,adventure bikes,and sport bikes don't have the rigidity to hang a true hitch on.Mr. Bracket on this forum has sold many offroad single wheel trailers that mount to the swing arm.There has been no reports of any problems or break downs.
Old 06-21-2013, 02:05 AM   #666
XCgeek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Most all uni wheels mount there on most bikes.Few bikes have enough rear structure for a true trailer hitch.Cruiser do, but dual sports,adventure bikes,and sport bikes don't have the rigidity to hang a true hitch on.Mr. Bracket on this forum has sold many offroad single wheel trailers that mount to the swing arm.There has been no reports of any problems or break downs.

Not that you are claiming either mount system is better than the other but,

I think that the number one argument for frame mounted hitches over swingarm mounted is the added unsprung weight that the swingarm system introduces. However, if you are towing a trailer, you priorities have probable drifted somewhat away from performance.

The second reason I see for the frame mount system is less input loads as it the shock seen by the rear wheel is no transmitted directly into the hitch.

Some disadvantages of the frame mount system is the possible increase in wheeles due to the hitch mounted above the axle line and the possible need to increase the rear shock spring rate to cope with a added trailer mass. The axel mount eliminates both of these issues.
XCgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #667
Curtis in Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Well I finally got some daylight pictures of my trailer.
Please excuse the dirt; itís rather muddy out here in the Country.
So here goes.

Everything is triangulated for stress. And this is not made with a bunch of EMT conduit. It's all structural tubing. I built it to last a lifetime. Total weight is 78.5 lbs empty. According to my Scales in the GYM. The box is a regular plastic storage box I once used in my 4X4 rig for spare parts. The wheel, stub axle and bearings are from Northern tool. I made the swing arm.

The wheel side!

And BTY the rear rack (the silver part) is removable in case I decide I donít like the design or should I bend it later. So far Iíve not strapped any loads on it, other than the bicycle, to test how bad it would throw the bike out of balance. Maybe later!

The Hitch!
Remember the vertical pivot is built into the draw bar.
Look to the right and you can see the grease zerk on the tube just inside the shadow.

And now the tongue and how itís reinforced. (The red thing is the trailer light wiring harness !)

In case you didn't catch it when I alluded to it earlier, I can mount my bicycles on the trailer to take with me. It's hard to see but there is "T" handle on the tongue that I added a Yakima bike carrier bracket and wheel bracket to. The front wheel carrier folds down out of the way when not in use. This will make more sense when you see the bike on it.

Hereís a shot of the whole rig. Including my Mountain bike turned City Bike

Hereís a bottom frame shot! The main frame is 1 inch heavy wall tubing. You'll notice the parking legs in the down position in this picture. It makes a nice stool or kitchen table setting upright.

Sorry, I forgot to get a close up shot of the single shock and spring, but look close and you can see it in this picture. Spring should be good for 175 lbs as it is now.

Letís address the draw bar on the motorcycle. The entire Pannier rack I designed and built for my KLR was over built with trailer pulling duties in mind. And the draw bar slides into some heavy wall DOM tubing sleeves (Tractor Supply) that have tight tolerances for the 1 inch draw bar. The draw bar itself is actually 4 layers of tubing slid inside each other and spot welded to make one very hefty drawbar built on the same principle as plywood. It was a bugger to bend on my JD2'd hand powered bender!

Here you can see the detent pin ring on the right that retains the draw bar In the sleeves. The panniers must be removed for the detent pins to come out. I added this safety feature to prevent the drawbar from coming loose accidentally. There are hardened screws at the rear to prevent the bar from sliding forward.

I added a double tubed, spring loaded front parking stand to the front of the trailer to hold it upright when not attached to the bike. This makes the trailer a convenient table top or stool. It also hold the tongue at almost the perfect height to attach it to the bike without a wrestling match.

Notice the hitch block on the draw bar is pointing down at this point!
It swings up for the trailer to attach to it. And before someone asks, it does not hit the reat tire at all, ever!

I had an old KLR Rear Fender, mini turn signals and rear light laying around so I used them. They are all LED to keep the drain down on the 270 watt KLR Generator.

It pulls great and I find myself forgetting its back there. And if you havenít noticed, you can see I swapped out my old swing arm on the 06 KLR for a 2011 swing arm with their double piston brake caliper. The front forks have a double piston caliper off a SV650 Suzuki that I swapped out for last year. For a KLR, this bike stops like a MX Bike! The only thing I need to do it is put the braided steel hydraulic line on the back brake caliper. Itís still on the old caliper.

What would I do different you may wonder? Maybe shave about 15 lbs would be nice and since I designed it for a lighter 12 inch aluminum boat wheel, that's do-able. I don't like the regular trailer license plate on the rear. Yes, it's too low! But I'm stuck with it for now. And I'd like a different shock with a bigger spring so I can add more preload. (Fine Tuning it will solve that.)

Hope this gives you guys who are considering building one for yourselves some idea!

Total investment less than $100. But I had the stuff laying around and a shop full of tools to build it with.

Take care now.
Curtis
ďIt is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" -Burt Munro
Curtis in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #668
ban
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Great trailer Curtis!

Good designs will work.......great designs are simple AND they work!

Thank you for sharing the pics. It took me a moment, while viewing the pictures on photobucket, before I realized the "side ways" pic was the parking stand. The trailer is great but the parking stand is really great. It is so simple.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. - Dan Stanford
ban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #669
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCgeek View Post
Not that you are claiming either mount system is better than the other but,

I think that the number one argument for frame mounted hitches over swingarm mounted is the added unsprung weight that the swingarm system introduces. However, if you are towing a trailer, you priorities have probable drifted somewhat away from performance.

The second reason I see for the frame mount system is less input loads as it the shock seen by the rear wheel is no transmitted directly into the hitch.

Some disadvantages of the frame mount system is the possible increase in wheeles due to the hitch mounted above the axle line and the possible need to increase the rear shock spring rate to cope with a added trailer mass. The axel mount eliminates both of these issues.

Now I get it.

If I am pulling a trailer,I ain't worried with taking curves at the highest possible speed.I also wouldn't pull a trailer with my sport bike.My cruiser on the other hand,will be getting a frame hitch later this year and a DIY unigo.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #670
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,880
Very nice Curtis! Might have to copy your kick stand.
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #671
chuggins143
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post
Execution thus far:

Not criticizing here, but I'm thinking that the U-bolts attached to the tube are going to rotate about the tube when you hit the first bump... you might want to have a plate welded onto the nose of your cart to bolt that to.

Good Luck!
C
09 KLR 650, blue... Done the Doo!, Thermo-bobed!, LED driving lights, aux fuse box, HID high beam, gel battery, custom racks, tool tube, de-Californicated it, moved main fuses to side cover, relocated plate, PVC mod, Hurricane mod, bypassed the side stand switch...

RIP - 95 Honda VFR750 (the most vulgar shade of yellow I could find in the book!)
chuggins143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 05:49 AM   #672
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,224
The Curtis trailer looks great. Very road/trail worthy.
Solid build and a solid hitch mount to his bike.

Just my thoughts. I do not want to offend anyone.
I've broken many hand trucks over the years pushing them with heavy compressors on them. I don't think they will last long as a trailer.
A weld will fail, probly on the road or trail. Then the problems begin.
Worst case. It will cause a crash. Best case. You have to fix it on the road just to get home. It's a cool idea tho. Be good for light duty stuff like bringing groceries home from the corner store a few blocks away in a 25 mph zone.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:08 AM   #673
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer

Here is my baby trailer with my 97 dr 650. I've got to build a hitch for the bike. My plan is to use the subframe under the fender and the rear foot pegs as attachment points for the hitch. My two wheel trailer let's me keep most of the load weight slightly forward of the wheels. That keeps the tongue weight to about 10% of the total. A couple hundred pounds equals 20 pounds on the rear shock. A lot less than carrying all my gear on the tail rack. I can carry more on the trailer than the bike alone. I am the pack mule for our group camping. Plodding along with the gear to the base camp.

This little trailer pulls really well behind my Harley.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #674
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer

Loaded without the trailer.

I carry the 4 man tent. Beer, steaks and grill. We go camping to Eat. Drink. and tell lies around a campfire.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #675
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf97 View Post

just my thoughts. I do not want to offend anyone.
I've broken many hand trucks over the years pushing them with heavy compressors on them. I don't think they will last long as a trailer.
A weld will fail, probly on the road or trail. Then the problems begin.
Worst case. It will cause a crash. Best case. You have to fix it on the road just to get home. It's a cool idea tho. Be good for light duty stuff like bringing groceries home from the corner store a few blocks away in a 25 mph zone.
+1