Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #691
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 755
You can move the shock mount location to make have less leverage. Either lay the shock down more or move the shock mount up the swingarm.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #692
chuggins143
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Yep, sounds like you need to hit it with more leverage for the load it will be seeing normally. ...and it needs to have enough travel at that setting actually let the internal damping work.

What we need is a shock assembly that is tunable with springs that can be changed to dial in the ride... like an offroad coilover shock.

Good luck!
C
09 KLR 650, blue... Done the Doo!, Thermo-bobed!, LED driving lights, aux fuse box, HID high beam, gel battery, custom racks, tool tube, de-Californicated it, moved main fuses to side cover, relocated plate, PVC mod, Hurricane mod, bypassed the side stand switch...

RIP - 95 Honda VFR750 (the most vulgar shade of yellow I could find in the book!)
chuggins143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #693
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Doppler shocks are probably a bit spendy to use on a trailer, but they are very adjustable and work well. http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/pr...cing+_dp452084
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:37 PM   #694
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by XCgeek View Post
Not that you are claiming either mount system is better than the other but,

I think that the number one argument for frame mounted hitches over swingarm mounted is the added unsprung weight that the swingarm system introduces. However, if you are towing a trailer, you priorities have probable drifted somewhat away from performance.

The second reason I see for the frame mount system is less input loads as it the shock seen by the rear wheel is no transmitted directly into the hitch.

Some disadvantages of the frame mount system is the possible increase in wheeles due to the hitch mounted above the axle line and the possible need to increase the rear shock spring rate to cope with a added trailer mass. The axel mount eliminates both of these issues.
My 2cents (whether or not it's worth that much???), there are pro's and con's to each hitching setup. You are pulling a trailer, where do you want your compromise?

Hitching to the axle/swingarm is very simple and easy to mount to, it also keeps the load on the motorcycle down low to the ground and does not require stiffer springs on the bike. It does however add un-sprung weight, this does indeed take away performance from the rear suspension of the motorcycle and offers no suspension at all to the front of the trailer.

Hitching to the sub-frame gives the front of the trailer suspension and does not add un-sprung weight to the motorcycle. It however may require you to stiffen your rear suspension while pulling a trailer and lighten it while your not. It is also more complicated, especially if you have a bike that has a weak subframe. Suspending the front of the trailer means the front of the trailer dives down when you hit a bump, you need to stay aware when offroad that it doesn't hit the ground. This makes it hard to keep the trailer load low to the ground when many bikes have 10+ inches of rear travel... Hitching to the subframe also allows the trailer to push the bike around more while turning. The higher the hitch point the more leverage the trailer has to push the bike around. Imagine trying to tip a bike off it's kickstand by pushing on it's rear axle versus pushing on it's seat...

IMO, the perfect hitch would mount to the bike where it can be sprung weight and at about axle height from the ground. This can indeed be done, but it requires considerable effort to create a very stiff lightweight mounting point. It would be custom to each motorcycle and not be cost effective. Perfect project, for the do-it-yourselfer!

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:16 PM   #695
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
very interesting points, Mr. Bracket.

If one could build a hitch that pivots on the foot peg brackets, in front of the rear wheel, they would have all the advantages you listed, plus have the weight carried by both wheels, much like a goose neck or 5th wheel trailer does on a truck. That tends to be very stable. But as you said, a custom job for sure, and not a production solution.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #696
xathor
Not actually Gnarly

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
Mocking up the hitch spacing on mine last sunday

and a quick test run around the yard

At about 45 seconds in the video your bike leans right and your trailer leans left.

This is going to put a crazy amount of stress on the mount and possibly throw you off the bike with some weight applied to trailer.

I would revise your mount.
2008 KTM 450EXC-R (Stolen/Totaled)
2008 Subaru STi (Cobb Stage 2)
xathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #697
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by xathor View Post
At about 45 seconds in the video your bike leans right and your trailer leans left.

This is going to put a crazy amount of stress on the mount and possibly throw you off the bike with some weight applied to trailer.

Look closer (watch the front wheel): there was a quick left, right, left transition; presumably to stay upright on an uneven/damp surface. the trailer reacted exactly how it should in that circumstance.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #698
Eddieb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by xathor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
Look closer (watch the front wheel): there was a quick left, right, left transition; presumably to stay upright on an uneven/damp surface. the trailer reacted exactly how it should in that circumstance.
The changes in direction were to video what the trailer would do under those sort of circumstances, just wobbling around as you might do on an uneven trail.

2 discoveries from the test ride were that the central beam wasn't rigid enough and so flexed under changes of direction, and that there was small but significant enough lateral play in the mount which was amplified significantly by the time that play reached the end of the trailer. Both of these led to some changes which makes the trailer follow the bikes lead much better.

Thats why we do testing, to find the issues before things are released into the wild.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #699
marguyo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
hi ! with adv last years i built my adv versy same at jd rock,this years i built my trailer same your ,ok time is publish is now!

short descrip.
bw's tubless wheel
air ride(seat truck)
70 lbs(20 on tongue,50 trailer wheel)
9 po clearence

2 set up; 90lts cargo and 5 gallons of gaz or 132 lts cargo no gaz
Old 08-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #700
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Marguyo,

I like your trailer and your bike! Nice work!

I played around with the angle of the hitch pivot quite a bit when building my first couple trailers.

I'm betting you'll find that your trailer feels more comfortable in the corners if you tilt the hitch pivot forward about 10 deg.

That air bag spring is nice, I bet that makes it easy to adjust your spring rate for different loads, very nice!

Great looking setup!

2010 Husaberg FX450, 2011 Husaberg FS570, 1994 Yamaha TW200, Next bike?? - A twin cylinder adventure bike. Why? Because most thumpers sound like two skeletons making whoopie in a trash can!
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #701
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by marguyo View Post
hi ! with adv last years i built my adv versy same at jd rock,this years i built my trailer same your ,ok time is publish is now!
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:57 AM   #702
oldNbold
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf97 View Post
Just my thoughts. I do not want to offend anyone.
I've broken many hand trucks over the years pushing them with heavy compressors on them. I don't think they will last long as a trailer.
A weld will fail, probly on the road or trail. Then the problems begin.
Worst case. It will cause a crash. Best case. You have to fix it on the road just to get home. It's a cool idea tho. Be good for light duty stuff like bringing groceries home from the corner store a few blocks away in a 25 mph zone.
As said above these are just my thoughts and I also don't want to offend anyone. There is no need to fear a well done welded joint. A properly done weld is just as strong as the base metal. Many times welds done incorrectly will cause failure of the base metal usually in the heat affected zone. Many times these projects are taken on by part time fabricators with limited skills and equipment. Don't take me wrong there are some very good part time welder/fabricators working out of their garage.
I inspect and test welds for a living and am a certified welder.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #703
r80rt
Dirt road nomad

Oddometer: 128
TW200 Trailer

My buddy OldBrattrider and I are building a trailer for my TW200. The shock and wheel will be from an old Honda scooter on our swingarm, the frame and cargo area are built from 3/4" heavy wall square tubing. I've looked at tons of trailers on line and used idea'a from several of them. We made hitch points from the rear axle using a set of modified wheel spacers. Here is a look at what we've got so far. More pictures as we progress.

r80rt screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 06:42 AM
r80rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #704
Old White Truck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by r80rt View Post

That looks substantial!

Also looks like a good shop you have there.
Old White Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #705
r80rt
Dirt road nomad

Oddometer: 128
Thanks! That shop belongs to OldBrattrider, he has the coolest toys in the world and know's how to use them. I'm just holding the dumb end of the tape and grinding welds, he's doing the real work. I can't wait to get it done, we'll do a you tube video of the maiden voyage with it attached to my TDub.

r80rt screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 06:43 AM
r80rt is offline   Reply With Quote