User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2006, 06:00 PM   #61
klrbaer
Tim

Oddometer: 280
cool trailer

Hey I've been looking at building my own monowheel trailer and i have just started the layout. I'm useing a suspended bike wheel for this and I think as you do that the wheel will hold up for highway use. I'll try to get pics and more details on the page.
klrbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:40 AM   #62
Fire-plug
Private Member

Oddometer: 20
I have a one-wheeled trailer that I pull behind my KLR 650 and I love it, it is able to go trail-riding also due to the nice clearance. I had posted a write up on it with lots of photos at www.KLR650.net, search for "Trailer-One Wheeled". Did a 13,000 mile trip across the country pulling it, that's the way to travel.

Name:  MountainTrail.jpg
Views: 17472
Size:  99.8 KB
Fire-plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:50 AM   #63
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,176
That's cool. Now if someone could come out with a hitch for my sport bike and a fitting trailer that'd be awsome
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:46 PM   #64
Sgt Large
BMW OUTLAW

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75,000 Miles
I have a one-wheeled trailer that I pull behind my KLR 650 and I love it, it is able to go trail-riding also due to the nice clearance. I had posted a write up on it with lots of photos at www.KLR650.net, search for "Trailer-One Wheeled". Did a 13,000 mile trip across the country pulling it, that's the way to travel.

Attachment 80251
75,000 Miles, any chance of posting your write up and photos on this thread. Couldn't view it at the other site.
Sgt Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #65
Fire-plug
Private Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Large
75,000 Miles, any chance of posting your write up and photos on this thread. Couldn't view it at the other site.
I'll try to work on it, give me a little time.

Fire-plug screwed with this post 08-03-2006 at 08:03 PM
Old 08-03-2006, 09:02 PM   #66
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,896
It seems like a wrecked Buell frame with the pull-shock would be a good starting point. Lots of room in the middle.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:06 AM   #67
Fire-plug
Private Member

One-Wheeled Trailer

Here is a little write up on my One-Wheeled Trailer built by Cycle Burro in Van Alstyne, Tx. I don't believe he is still in bussiness.
I have been pulling this trailer behind my 1990 KLR 650 since 1991. No upgrades were done to the KLR as in suspension or voltage. The important thing to remember with this trailer is to go into your turn a little more graceful, you can't just throw it into a turn. Most of the time you don't even know it is behind you, the unique maintenance free one-armed swingarm suspension is from an aircraft part that has a metal spindal with rubber wrapped around it encased in a square steel case which gives it a super smooth ride. The hitch on the trailer side swivels for the turns, and uses a hard plastic bushing on top and bottom that also requires no maintenance. The hitch on the bike side is solid and welded to the frame, two bolts point upward that the trailer connects to and is held on by two wingnuts for easy attachment, there is also rubber washers that are placed between the trailer hitch as it connects to the bike which gives it quiet operation and verticle pitch. It uses a standard 4.80-8 trailer tire and common trailer lights. When pulling the trailer, I have noticed a small decrease in mpg's by about 3 mpg's, big deal! I've even transported an old girlfriend inside it before, Yes she was alive at the time. Inside the trailer is Shag carpeting, yes Shag, it was free, and a High/Low dome light which comes in handy while camping. The top is connected with a piano type hinge, the frame is 1" steel tubing and the two forward legs swing back and are help up with webbing and a snap. I took a trip across the country pulling the trailer and racked up 13,000 miles on that trip alone, that trailer sure made traveling comfortable. Another great thing about it is that it will fit through a hotel room door for security and convenience.
I hope this link to Photobucket works. Steve

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...sc=3&start=all

Camping, Arizona-sml.jpg
Attached Images

Fire-plug screwed with this post 08-09-2006 at 07:31 AM
Old 08-09-2006, 04:35 PM   #68
Jeffro115
Redemption.

Oddometer: 4,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdub
The Trail Tail concept is neat but I wonder about the added loads on the rear wheel bearings. Any thoughts on that?

My thoughts exactly.

I am VERY interested in trailers for bikes. I'd be willing to invest early in a good design.

But I would never pull from the rear axle. I would worry about wheel bearings (and swing arm bearings), and I wouldn't like the fact that the connection is constantly pulling on the drive tire in a manner that was not designed by the manufacturer of the bike.

I'd want a hitch that can be frame mounted. I'd guess that this type of hitch might feel more secure when riding. Thoughts?

Also, I'd like a trailer that can be adapted to a second motorcycle easily.

What holds up those mono-wheel trailers when stopped? Most of them look like the weight is high. I could see one loaded pull a bike over that was parked on a kickstand. Maybe a dual wheel design, with the two wheels closer together, both under the wright, instead of spread to opposite sides?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:04 AM   #69
Sgt Large
BMW OUTLAW

Oddometer: 307
75000 miles, great info and photo's. Keep up the good work!
Sgt Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:22 AM   #70
klrbaer
Tim

Oddometer: 280
To answer What keeps it upright?

It's all in the hitch. The hitch is similar to a universal joint in a drive line. This means that the hitch will only move in 2 directions (up-down, and left-right). this is not a ball hitch. This hitch will not allow the trailer to fall over. I am also designing and building my own trailer and am trying to incorporate a suspension system. More later. Please contact me with any questions.
God Bless us all.
88 NX 125, 99 Valkyrie, 02 KLR
Pulling my homebuilt monowheel
klrbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:04 PM   #71
orklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Here is a little write up on my One-Wheeled Trailer built by Cycle Burro in Van Alstyne, Tx. I don't believe he is still in bussiness.
I have been pulling this trailer behind my 1990 KLR 650 since 1991. No upgrades were done to the KLR as in suspension or voltage. The important thing to remember with this trailer is to go into your turn a little more graceful, you can't just throw it into a turn. Most of the time you don't even know it is behind you, the unique maintenance free one-armed swingarm suspension is from an aircraft part that has a metal spindal with rubber wrapped around it encased in a square steel case which gives it a super smooth ride. The hitch on the trailer side swivels for the turns, and uses a hard plastic bushing on top and bottom that also requires no maintenance. The hitch on the bike side is solid and welded to the frame, two bolts point upward that the trailer connects to and is held on by two wingnuts for easy attachment, there is also rubber washers that are placed between the trailer hitch as it connects to the bike which gives it quiet operation and verticle pitch. It uses a standard 4.80-8 trailer tire and common trailer lights. When pulling the trailer, I have noticed a small decrease in mpg's by about 3 mpg's, big deal! I've even transported an old girlfriend inside it before, Yes she was alive at the time. Inside the trailer is Shag carpeting, yes Shag, it was free, and a High/Low dome light which comes in handy while camping. The top is connected with a piano type hinge, the frame is 1" steel tubing and the two forward legs swing back and are help up with webbing and a snap. I took a trip across the country pulling the trailer and racked up 13,000 miles on that trip alone, that trailer sure made traveling comfortable. Another great thing about it is that it will fit through a hotel room door for security and convenience.
I hope this link to Photobucket works. Steve

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...sc=3&start=all

Camping, Arizona-sml.jpg
Great write up...any chance of a few more detailed pictures of the bike portion of the hitch?
orklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:47 AM   #72
ChariotDude
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Very clever design, Cheat! And it looks like it is very durable too. The only thing I've seen that comes even close is this fellow's homemade (saw it on ebay).

That snowbound one looks like a "Kendon" or a "Trailer In A Bag". The Burito definitely looks to maximize cargo space.

My company's looking into developing a more professional version of this guys. It won't be ready for market though for at least another year; sideline idea to what they've already got on the market (to haul bikes IN). Good thread; appreciate the design ideas!
Attached Images

ChariotDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:16 PM   #73
Fire-plug
Private Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orklr
Great write up...any chance of a few more detailed pictures of the bike portion of the hitch?
Have updated my PhotoBucket album with three detailed photos of where the hitch is welded to the frame. Hope this is what you are looking for.

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...yboy16/Trailer
Old 09-22-2006, 06:51 PM   #74
orklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Have updated my PhotoBucket album with three detailed photos of where the hitch is welded to the frame. Hope this is what you are looking for.

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...yboy16/Trailer
Great thanks!

....any updates on the trailer fabs??

orklr screwed with this post 10-05-2006 at 10:17 PM
orklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 12:16 PM   #75
Wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,647
Eh? Updates???

Just got an old 80cc Yamaha and plan to make a mono wheel trailer when I get off work next month.

Are there any updates on the one being built on here?
Wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote