Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #736
r80rt
Dirt road nomad

Oddometer: 128
PM your route, I'm near Hardy Arkansas 18 miles south of the Missouri state line, If you get close we'll meet up.

r80rt screwed with this post 09-06-2013 at 03:06 PM
r80rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #737
Curtis in Texas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by r80rt View Post
PM your route, I'm near Hardy Arkansas 18 miles south of the missouri state line, If you get close we'll meet up.
Route??? You speak of a Route like I have a plan. Obviously you've not ridden with me before when I have lots of time to explore.

Being retired has it's advantages!

I looked on the Garmin map and Hardy looks interesting. Lots of twisty roads in and out. I'll PM you my date of departure and what week to expect me to come through you neck of the woods. As the time gets closer I can give you a more definite day to look for me. And I'll give you my cell # so if you have an interesting event happening near you I should check out I can plan on making it. I fly by the seat of my pants on rides like these. No real destination other than want to ride the Dragon again and my wife will be in Pinehurst NC for the month and I'll be dropping by to see how she's doing before heading home pretty much the same way.

Some of my best discoveries have been found this way. I love to make Festivals and such. My wife and I once found Meramec Caves this way. We liked it so much we stayed a week and just floated the river every day in the kayak. (Motorhome Adventure)

If my Bud with the Ural comes you know we won't be wearing out the Interstate!
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" -Burt Munro

Curtis in Texas screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 01:03 PM
Curtis in Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #738
r80rt
Dirt road nomad

Oddometer: 128
Well, my area has some fair roads but nothing to write home about, nothing much going on around here either. If you travel through Arkansas I strongly suggest the northwest part of the state, it's impossible to find a bad road there. I've ridden all over the states and that's my farvorite place to ride

r80rt screwed with this post 10-18-2013 at 10:10 AM
r80rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #739
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,991
I started building mine today, a one wheel version similar to the moto-mule. Designing the hitch to fit a klx250, ninja1400, and a dyna street bob. Pictures coming tomorrow, I forgot to take them.

Anyone pull a one wheel with a V-strom? I have every bike I own figured out except the strom. Axle hole is a touch under 3/8". I'm using a 7/16" bolt for the other bikes. Not sure if I'd be ok with drilling the axle to 3/8 then using that size bolt or not. Seems like I'd be pushing it and asking for a failure. Any ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #740
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I started building mine today, a one wheel version similar to the moto-mule. Designing the hitch to fit a klx250, ninja1400, and a dyna street bob. Pictures coming tomorrow, I forgot to take them.

Anyone pull a one wheel with a V-strom? I have every bike I own figured out except the strom. Axle hole is a touch under 3/8". I'm using a 7/16" bolt for the other bikes. Not sure if I'd be ok with drilling the axle to 3/8 then using that size bolt or not. Seems like I'd be pushing it and asking for a failure. Any ideas?

Look at these trailer http://www.thirdwheeltrailers.com/

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:34 PM   #741
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post

Used to have a v-strom, and was considering a single wheel trailer for it too, so I spent time looking the strom over for ideas. Here's one to consider: bypass the swing arm, and hook to the peg area (don't remember if it was the rider or passenger pegs that looked like the perfect spot, but you can tell by looking.

You'll need to build a long Y to straddle the rear wheel and swing arm, and modify the trailer hitch a little, but none of that will be very difficult for you. I think it should pull great hooked up by the pegs, and on the V-strom, it looks like it was made just for it.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:39 AM   #742
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
I made a hitch like boatpuller suggests, tied into both sets of pegs and the muffler mounts, too. As a bonus, I lowered the peg position as well in the process.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895385

Maybe you could tap both ends of the axle hole and use a bolt from each side rather than a thru-bolt on your vstrom. It might preserve some wall thickness compared to drilling the hole bigger.
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:35 AM   #743
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
I've seen them, that hitch won't quite work for me since I have so many bike to make it fit. If it was a one-shot deal I'd try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
Used to have a v-strom, and was considering a single wheel trailer for it too, so I spent time looking the strom over for ideas. Here's one to consider: bypass the swing arm, and hook to the peg area (don't remember if it was the rider or passenger pegs that looked like the perfect spot, but you can tell by looking.

You'll need to build a long Y to straddle the rear wheel and swing arm, and modify the trailer hitch a little, but none of that will be very difficult for you. I think it should pull great hooked up by the pegs, and on the V-strom, it looks like it was made just for it.
Interesting, I'll have to look around when I get outside. That might work. Not sure how I can adapt it to my trailer, I'll have to look around and see. My hitch already has to go through the axle of other bikes, so anything I build will have to adapt from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
I made a hitch like boatpuller suggests, tied into both sets of pegs and the muffler mounts, too. As a bonus, I lowered the peg position as well in the process.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895385

Maybe you could tap both ends of the axle hole and use a bolt from each side rather than a thru-bolt on your vstrom. It might preserve some wall thickness compared to drilling the hole bigger.
Failing to make the one wheel work for me I'll steal your hitch idea. Work good as-designed? I already have a 2 wheeled Harbor freight trailer I bought last winter. It works good, but only on the FJR. I wanted a lighter one-wheel version for the Ninja, and it just happens to be about the right size to work with the KLX and Harley also.

I have too much crap and too many bikes sometimes.

Here's what I have so far. It's just tack welded, there's a lot more to do.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #744
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
My two wheeled setup works fine on the road. I just looked at my vstrom and saw that it would be easy to make a mounting plate setup similar to that shown by r80t on his tw200.

Just get a 5/16 steel plate and make an extended chain adjustment block to tie your trailer into. Your attachment point would be just in back of the axle instead of thru the axle.

Or you could beef up the attachment point for the swingarm spool just in front of the axle. It looks like its threaded for a 10mm bolt there...
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #745
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
Just to clarify my point about attaching a trailer to a V-Storm at the foot pegs: I was thinking you could extend the tongue with a big Y and attach with a hinge at the rear foot pegs, so that is the trailer tongue pivots up and down in relation to the motorcycle. It actually transfers the weight of the tongue to the middle of the motorcycle between the axles, like a goose neck or fifth wheel trailer does to a truck, and would carry the load in a more neutral manner. You would need to put a left/right hinge pin in the tongue behind the motorcycle so you could turn. Now, how all that works with your current tongue that also fits other motorcycles - I can't suggest without seeing those. But if you provide pics, I try to suggest something.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #746
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks

I'll have pictures tomorrow hopefully, but there's surely the right answer somewhere. I doubt the swingarm spools will work, they seemed pretty light duty last time I looked.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #747
PapaYolk
Ride Along

Oddometer: 1,445
On the forth of July I met a most remarkable man from Australia who has worked six years at enabling his wife, paralyzed from the chest down in a motorcycle accident, to ride again. She rode up with her feet strapped to a KTM with two front wheels that track with the rear wheel. Just like riding a bike. He developed a switch-activated means of locking the cantilevering front end to turn the hybrid into a trike when stopped so that one can take their hands off the bars.

Here is their trip thread:.

I met this remarkable couple because I'm listed here on tent space. If you're a bit of a recluse, like me, it's a cool way to meet new fellow riders in the comfortable surroundings of your own home.

Her wheelchair was carried atop a Moto-mule pulled by a Vstrom. Well built , good looking rig.

Took three years, but I got the patent on Spud and she'll be on the market soon. Yes, it has a top.

My son brought home a KLR, so I've drawn up plans for the his ADV sleeper. First, on wall with boot black.

Spud Lite: a knee high platform for stacks of beer and firewood, a four and a half foot (tongue to tale) cargo lockup and, using my proprietary design, a six and a half foot bunk and shelter.

I don't have a shop or garage, so like Spud, this proto will be built in the drive way.

Yes, please.
PapaYolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:49 AM   #748
oldNbold
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
I really like this thread. Lots of great innovation to fire my own imagination.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #749
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,544
PapaYolk I've been following your Idaho bedroll rig for quite a while. Glad to see you have gotten the patens and near production.

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:05 PM   #750
Haul Ass
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Now I have been lookinand cannot find a hitch for the Explorer or a single wheel that I like. Made a hitch.
Haul Ass is offline   Reply With Quote