Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2014, 06:28 PM   #811
Jnich77
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haul Ass View Post
There is also this cavity in the middle to carry 2 extra tires if it should be needed

I'll admit, when I first looked at it I thought"wow, so much work for so little space" then I realized that putting the tires on the trailer frees up a huuuge amount of space on the bike. Bravo
Jnich77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #812
oldNbold
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Part of the beauty of this trailer is that it would be easy to stash on a trip. Cover miles to get into an area, stash the trailer while you enjoy riding trails. Hook the trailer back up and move on to the next area. I can see lots of different configurations for each riders needs.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:10 AM   #813
bronciii
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Just back from a 9 day camping trip from wv down thou Tennessee, North Carolina and Georgia. 3/8" all thread held up to Over 500 miles of freeway at 70+mph just getting there, lots of miles of wv back roads, and one 25-30mph low slide on dolly sods. But I did only have about 40lbs of gear in the trailer

bronciii screwed with this post 03-29-2014 at 06:22 AM
bronciii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:27 AM   #814
bronciii
Gnarly Adventurer

Plz don't bust me balls on the misspelling, in proper gramma, incomplete sentences or pics of me dirty bike. This is only the internet for Christ sake, not a job interview.

Thank you, thank you very much....... Elvis has left the building..
Old 03-29-2014, 06:43 AM   #815
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronciii View Post
Just back from a 9 day camping trip from wv down thou Tennessee, North Carolina and Georgia. 3/8" all thread held up to Over 500 miles of freeway at 70+mph just getting there, lots of miles of wv back roads, and one 25-30mph low slide on dolly sods. But I did only have about 40lbs of gear in the trailer

Nice Pics - 9 days camping (IN THE SNOW?) Dude you are definitely a "Gnarly Adventurer"! My hats off to you thanks for sharing.
BTW what was the 3/8 all thread used for? Maybe I missed something in a previous post?
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:03 AM   #816
bronciii
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroRdr View Post
Nice Pics - 9 days camping (IN THE SNOW?) Dude you are definitely a "Gnarly Adventurer"! My hats off to you thanks for sharing.
BTW what was the 3/8 all thread used for? Maybe I missed something in a previous post?
Lol. No I'm a wussy. Only snow was on top of the mountain at dolly sods wv

All thread was used to go thru axle on bike for the hitch. There was some concerns on the shear strength of it a few pages back lol
Old 03-30-2014, 06:21 AM   #817
oldNbold
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronciii View Post
Lol. No I'm a wussy. Only snow was on top of the mountain at dolly sods wv

All thread was used to go thru axle on bike for the hitch. There was some concerns on the shear strength of it a few pages back lol
You have proof that it works. The allthread needs to be upgraded for your own safety and security but is there anything else that you would modify for next time?
Old 03-30-2014, 08:15 AM   #818
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 591
If you meet the shear strength of the all thread, you have way bigger problems like "I hope I don't loose my leg when this car
shears my all thread as it hits me". I would be more concerned about fatigue cracks (over time) at the threads where it goes from trailer
hitch to axel.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #819
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,802
That's what I was thinking, as I'm also using all-thread. Here's a shear strength chart that takes the thread valleys into consideration. Shear strength is 60% of tensile strength, you have to make the calculation. I'm using 5/16" grade 8 all thread for what it's worth.

I figure the all-thread will have a lifespan, like anything. Until I come up with a better option I'll have a spare piece accessible, and just inspect it as needed. It's looking like before cracks will form I'll have issues with the threads getting beat up first anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:53 PM   #820
bronciii
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldNbold View Post
You have proof that it works. The allthread needs to be upgraded for your own safety and security but is there anything else that you would modify for next time?
Nope, I kept forgetting it was even back there. Except for the 20+ people that pulled up beside me on the freeway taking pictures. Apparently a 220 lbs guy drafting 10 ft behind semi's @ 70mph on a 250cc dirt bike pulling a wagon looks kinda funny to them. Even had a guy in Knoxville want to do a story on me for the local paper. I think that's the worst part for me,(when trying to make good time) stoping to get gas and somebody always wanting to talk. People should realize if a guy doesn't even get off his bike to pump gas he's not wanting to bs for 10 or 20 min either.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:21 PM   #821
bronciii
Gnarly Adventurer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
If you meet the shear strength of the all thread, you have way bigger problems like "I hope I don't loose my leg when this car
shears my all thread as it hits me". I would be more concerned about fatigue cracks (over time) at the threads where it goes from trailer
hitch to axel.
I'm with ya On the grade 2 being on the low side strength wise and had planned on making a pin for it but didn't get to it yet. In order for fatigue to be a factor one would have to assume it was flexing. The black tape I wrapped around the all thread to take up some slop didn't even wear thru

According to that chart and assuming I had 40lbs loaded in the trailer my all thread would shear on a head on impact @ about 50mph impact. (Think brick wall dead stop). Pretty sure I'm not going to be worried about if my hitch is going to hold up or not. Lol
Old 03-31-2014, 07:14 AM   #822
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
I'm curious as to how much your trailer effected your mileage. I pulled a 2 wheel trailer with my VL800 cruiser and it killed about 30 miles off the range of a tank of fuel. I'm in the planning stages for a hitch like yours for my Vstrom (1000) and the low rpm in sixth concerns me a bit. At legal speed in most of the roads around here it spins a little slow to make good power, might be a bit low to comfortably pull the load.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:38 AM   #823
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,878
My trailer weighs 100 pounds loaded at the most. That's a lot of stuff in and on the trailer too. It feels lighter than a 100 pound person riding pillion. Barely noticeable on a 400cc bike. 1000cc's would laugh at it.
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #824
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
The Strom's power isn't the issue for me, the low rpm at 60 mph in high gear has it lugging and quaking at small throttle changes. rear cush rubber is soft and the bad designed lets the sprocket pull it out of alignment. I don't want to have to run in 5 as that kills my mileage, most cars beat my mileage as it is. I hope to be putting some miles on this year with a passenger on weekend camping trips, It would be nice to not have to stack everything on the bike. I also will build the trailer to work with my DRz as well for solo trips.
I've been thinking adding a couple teeth to the rear sprocket of the strom might be enough to make the difference.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #825
oPAULo
jack of all terrain

Oddometer: 3,878
Lower RPM's doesn't always mean better mileage. Got to find the sweet spot.
oPAULo is offline   Reply With Quote