Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2006, 06:08 AM   #76
hardybaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
In the town of Marquez Texas, population 278, there is a one man shop that buillds a two wheeled, tow behind a bike motorcycle, fiberglass trailer. Maurice trys to produce a trailer a day. He just returned from a three or four ,month trip to China. Rumor has it that he was hired by a firm to teach the Chinese how to build trailers. I guess I ought to go to town and get the low down on what's going on.

hardybaker screwed with this post 11-03-2006 at 04:53 PM Reason: Spelling
hardybaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:19 AM   #77
orklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardybaker
In the town of Marquez Texas, population 278, there is a one man shop that buillds a two wheeled, tow behind a bike motorcycle, fiberglass trailer. Maurice trys to produce a trailer a day. He just returned from a three or four ,month trip to China. Rumor has it that he was hired by a firm to teach the Chinese how to build trailers. I guess I ought to go to town and get the low dolw on what's going on.

and a few pics too!
Rounders
PNWRiders
KLRWorld
STN

orklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 02:11 PM   #78
klrbaer
Tim

Oddometer: 280
My trailer

Last night I finished my trailer less the hitch and tounge. I tested the trailer to 260 lb. and also a vigorous bounce test. The trailer passed with flying colors.
The trailer is made mostly of 3/4 inch square tube and has a single 16 inch rear wheel. It measures 19 1/2 X 36 plus the rear wheel. I should have the trailer done within the next two or three weeks.
If anyone has any suggestions for the road tests please give them.
I do have 2 guys that want to buy trailers, and I do plan on making several of these this winter. I hope to get some pic's on the site before long, the only problem is that I'm not a geek (no offense intended).
God Bless us all.
88 NX 125, 99 Valkyrie, 02 KLR
Pulling my homebuilt monowheel
klrbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:14 PM   #79
orklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrbaer
Last night I finished my trailer less the hitch and tounge. I tested the trailer to 260 lb. and also a vigorous bounce test. The trailer passed with flying colors.
The trailer is made mostly of 3/4 inch square tube and has a single 16 inch rear wheel. It measures 19 1/2 X 36 plus the rear wheel. I should have the trailer done within the next two or three weeks.
I do have 2 guys that want to buy trailers, and I do plan on making several of these this winter. I hope to get some pic's on the site before long, the only problem is that I'm not a geek (no offense intended).
Cool!
Rounders
PNWRiders
KLRWorld
STN

Old 10-17-2006, 10:40 PM   #80
Wheeldog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrbaer
Post some pics......lots a geeks on here will help you. Road test??? Run it to Deadhorse and back with a load and see what happens.
Wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:02 AM   #81
RT jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat
The Unibody thing sounds like an interesting idea! I am with you on the MTB shock thing. I have two that I am toying around with. A Fox Alps air shock and a Fox Vanilla coil. Both are made for Mountain bike frames. Question for ya. Do you use a Tig for welding aluminum? I currently have a Miller Matic 210 and I just ordered a Spool gun for aluminum. I have access to a TIG machine, but I am still learning.

Love to hear more!!!
If your "learning" to weld aluminum. Best tip- for you is clean every piece near welding area . Stainless brush/wheel only used for aluminum. No mater how clean it looks .......
RT jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 06:09 AM   #82
RT jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by DantesDame
I've had this thought too ever since I saw this picture...

I just bought one of those for $100 brand new never used. They sell for $157.00 to $175. Great Plains catalog (sister company of Northern) Cheaper too. Looking at that picture that's a hard core rider that really wants to ride.
RT jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 07:21 AM   #83
rickf
oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro115
My thoughts exactly.

I am VERY interested in trailers for bikes. I'd be willing to invest early in a good design.

But I would never pull from the rear axle. I would worry about wheel bearings (and swing arm bearings), and I wouldn't like the fact that the connection is constantly pulling on the drive tire in a manner that was not designed by the manufacturer of the bike.

I'd want a hitch that can be frame mounted. I'd guess that this type of hitch might feel more secure when riding. Thoughts?

Also, I'd like a trailer that can be adapted to a second motorcycle easily.

What holds up those mono-wheel trailers when stopped? Most of them look like the weight is high. I could see one loaded pull a bike over that was parked on a kickstand. Maybe a dual wheel design, with the two wheels closer together, both under the wright, instead of spread to opposite sides?
The wheel bearings and swingarm bearings in most quality, modern off-road or dualsport bikes would be adequate to handle occasional use of this type of trailer.
However, I agree with frame mounting for a entirely different reason.....suspension. The rear wheel is un-suspended and (theoretically) closely follows the terrain whereas as frame mounting would great reduce the rear-wheel movement inputs to the front of the trailer.
The operative word here is 'frame-mounting' as opposed to 'sub-frame mounting'. The sub-frame on most modern dual-sport/dirtbikes were only intended to support the weight of a rider, a few of the bikes components and occasionally a passenger. I have seen many sub-frame failures and it is a replaceable component on most bikes.
Rear suspension would be essential to reduce instantaneous loading to the rear wheel from impacts and would reduce the need for a more robust wheel/axle design.
A Monocoque/tub design could reduce total weight of the package if roost protection is required.
All that being said, ADV riders tend to being talented, handy, cheap bastards and will probably just copy the design and build it themselves!

Originally Posted by rickf
Oh no, Robby's still a pendejo, but he's OUR pendejo!
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:13 PM   #84
mod
n00b

Oddometer: 6
have you guys seen this trailer. this one is the only one worth buying IMHO. Also it is made in Canada.

www.trailtail.com
mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:54 PM   #85
Curvesurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
However, I agree with frame mounting for a entirely different reason.....suspension. The rear wheel is un-suspended and (theoretically) closely follows the terrain whereas as frame mounting would great reduce the rear-wheel movement inputs to the front of the trailer
Why does it matter if the front of the trailer moves up and down with the rear wheel of the bike? The trailer pivots around the axle of the trailer wheel.

The movement of the rear wheel of the bike will cause the cargo to move up and down, but should have no effect on the trailer wheel.
Curvesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:25 PM   #86
Curvesurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by mod
have you guys seen this trailer. this one is the only one worth buying IMHO. Also it is made in Canada.

www.trailtail.com
there's a video on this website of a guy riding singletrack and a significant water crossing with this trailer. seems to work very well.

it might be worth the price of preamture bearing wear to gain this kind of capacity!
Curvesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:50 PM   #87
rickf
oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvesurfer
Why does it matter if the front of the trailer moves up and down with the rear wheel of the bike? The trailer pivots around the axle of the trailer wheel.

The movement of the rear wheel of the bike will cause the cargo to move up and down, but should have no effect on the trailer wheel.
You're kidding, right?

Try riding your motorcycle with rigid front forks, the motorcycle will pivot around the rear wheel, right? Same thing.

The reason we suspend any vehicle at it's contact points is to minimize the effect of the road surface to the vehicle. The trailer's hitch is it's forward contact point.

Oh no, Robby's still a pendejo, but he's OUR pendejo!
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:42 PM   #88
servitrike
n00b

Oddometer: 4
me too! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75,000 Miles
I have a one-wheeled trailer that I pull behind my KLR 650 and I love it, it is able to go trail-riding also due to the nice clearance. I had posted a write up on it with lots of photos at www.KLR650.net, search for "Trailer-One Wheeled". Did a 13,000 mile trip across the country pulling it, that's the way to travel.

Attachment 80251
i found a "Cycle Burro" last week in a swap meet. the title says it's from '74. and seems to have been from a place in Michigan. i havent gotten a hitch on my bike yet, but i am excited about the way this'll ride/pull. i used to have a great 2 wheeled trailer , i expect this to be better. do u know anything else about these "Burro's"?
i can't find anything on the web. only search result that worked was a link to this thread.
how long have u had urs?

D~~~!

servitrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:40 PM   #89
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer: 1,220

Any Updates? I'd be interested in one.

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:04 PM   #90
orklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by servitrike
i found a "Cycle Burro" last week in a swap meet. the title says it's from '74. and seems to have been from a place in Michigan. i havent gotten a hitch on my bike yet, but i am excited about the way this'll ride/pull. i used to have a great 2 wheeled trailer , i expect this to be better. do u know anything else about these "Burro's"?
i can't find anything on the web. only search result that worked was a link to this thread.
how long have u had urs?

D~~~!
check out 75,000 Miles' link below for great picks of the hitch he uses.
http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...yboy16/Trailer
Rounders
PNWRiders
KLRWorld
STN