User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2006, 07:39 PM   #91
servitrike
n00b

Oddometer: 4
cycle burro

thx, i've seen those fotos. my burro is older, i suspect. titled in '74! my hitch is a completely different design and my box lid is different also. mine looks more like a road going model.

the stickers all over it tell a story of a very long distance rider from b4 it was a cool thing to do. while most state sticker on it r from Ohio to CA it bears 1 sticker from a rally in Canad in '73.

i really trying to learn more about the history its hiding from me. i figure that with such a rare bird, i should be able to tell people something about it!

D~~~!

got any leads?

servitrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:02 PM   #92
Uncle Pollo
happy cachiporra

Oddometer: 47,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhally
I think you're on to something here -- one idea would be to mount your supermoto wheels/tires when pulling the trailer. After arriving at camp site, change to dirt wheel/tires. You could live out of a trailer like this!!
Exactly my thoughs.

I would like to be able to carry tire mounted knobbies and luggage for extended travel as well.
Uncle Pollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #93
LoveHateKLR
Slow 'n Easy

Oddometer: 157
hitch and suspension

'Dunno if this is of any help but the shaft from a steering column should be perfect for a hitch. There is usually a small universal in the shaft and by law the shaft is in two pieces that telescope into each other thus allowing the shaft to collapse on itself in a collision. Mount one part of the telescope on the bike, the other on the trailer. You can then slide the two pieces together. To secure them drill a hole for a hitch pin through both and secure with the pin. The included universal should be strong enough to take the tortional stress of the trailer but it's much lighter and smaller than a driveshaft universal joint.

For a simple rear suspension look at the design of the Haluzak Horizon recumbent bike. The rear wheel is mounted to a fork that is designed to flex. Instant suspension and mounting point in one unit. Granted, not as supple as a shock assembly but simple and will absorb a hit.

LoveHateKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:53 AM   #94
The Cheat OP
Tard

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveHateKLR
'Dunno if this is of any help but the shaft from a steering column should be perfect for a hitch. There is usually a small universal in the shaft and by law the shaft is in two pieces that telescope into each other thus allowing the shaft to collapse on itself in a collision. Mount one part of the telescope on the bike, the other on the trailer. You can then slide the two pieces together. To secure them drill a hole for a hitch pin through both and secure with the pin. The included universal should be strong enough to take the tortional stress of the trailer but it's much lighter and smaller than a driveshaft universal joint.

For a simple rear suspension look at the design of the Haluzak Horizon recumbent bike. The rear wheel is mounted to a fork that is designed to flex. Instant suspension and mounting point in one unit. Granted, not as supple as a shock assembly but simple and will absorb a hit.

The steering colum joint is the same idea I had, but I found it has two much play resulting in a slight wobble above 55 mph. I used one of the Flaming River U-joints made for hot rods and such, which is machined steel and very tough. I am still working on my new design . I will post pics as soon as I am done.
The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 11:54 AM   #95
The Cheat OP
Tard

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat
Well here are a few pics of a prototype trailer in action!!!!!

You can just barely see the joint in this picture on my frist trailer.
The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:41 PM   #96
LoveHateKLR
Slow 'n Easy

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat
You can just barely see the joint in this picture on my frist trailer.
Damn, just when I thought I was on to something!

LoveHateKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:11 AM   #97
Fire-plug
Private Member

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by servitrike
thx, i've seen those fotos. my burro is older, i suspect. titled in '74! my hitch is a completely different design and my box lid is different also. mine looks more like a road going model.

the stickers all over it tell a story of a very long distance rider from b4 it was a cool thing to do. while most state sticker on it r from Ohio to CA it bears 1 sticker from a rally in Canad in '73.

i really trying to learn more about the history its hiding from me. i figure that with such a rare bird, i should be able to tell people something about it!

I bought mine in 1991, The guy I bought it from told me he bought the bussiness from someone else, probably in Michigan. I still have an 8-page write up my guy would send to prospective buyers along with a price list, I would gladly send it to a fellow Cycle Burro owner. I'll be at the Tour de Apalachicola Two in January.

Fire-plug screwed with this post 01-30-2007 at 07:02 AM
Fire-plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 03:29 PM   #98
servitrike
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75,000 Miles
I bought mine in 1991, The guy I bought it from told me he bought the bussiness from someone else, probably in Michigan. I still have an 8-page write up my guy would send to prospevtive buyers along with a price list, I would gladly send it to a fellow Cycle Burro owner. Send me your mailing address and I'll shoot one to you. Email me at fire-plug@comcast.net I'll be at the Tour de Apalachicola Two in January.
i recognize the name but dont remember where Apalachicola is. near the Blue Ridge Parkway?

D~~~!
servitrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:28 PM   #99
Fire-plug
Private Member

Oddometer: 20
Tour de Apalachicola will be just South of Tallahassee, FL on Jan 11-15, 2006. Do a Google search or check some of the Southeast Forums.
Fire-plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 06:37 PM   #100
orklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Any new developments with the trailers???
Rounders
PNWRiders
KLRWorld
STN

orklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 06:34 AM   #101
Dave4surf
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thumb waterproof gear bags

Cheat,....have used Texsport waterproof bags that I picked up from Wallyworld (Walmart) for years. Check their sporting goods section. the largest bag is a bit larger than a military duffel bag; constructed of heavy duty fabric and PVC coated inside and out; and comes with shoulder straps for bacakpacking. Appears they were originallydesigned for canoe camping. Mine have been in use for 7 years without problems and still going strong. ave been used as primary luggage for trips to central america and NE Canada. Also in daily use for carrying my wetsuits. The good news is price: about $23.00 US. Love the idea on the trailer,...does it come with surfboard racks?
Dave4surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 11:10 PM   #102
Coach
Coach

Oddometer: 103
An Added Twist

Hi,

Been reading this thread with interest. I too have an interest in off-road motorcycle trailers but for a different reason. I broke my back in a motocross crash three years ago. I've worked my way out of the wheelchair but I'm not strong enough to hold a bike up at a stop. Sooo, I have designed a u-joint style hitch that moves with all three axis of a mototcycle (pitch, yaw and roll). When stopping, roll (tip-over) is stopped by a handlebar switch controlling an electromagnet (similar to a 12volt trailer brake) around the u-joint pivot on the hitch. Sounds complicated but it's not. If anyone is interested I'll post a drawing or two.

Keep up the discussion and pic's, they are great.

Ride Well,
Coach

Coach screwed with this post 11-04-2007 at 08:31 AM
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:26 PM   #103
orklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Helloooooooooooooooo

How are the trailer trials coming?
Rounders
PNWRiders
KLRWorld
STN

orklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:50 PM   #104
klrbaer
Tim

Oddometer: 280
trailer

My trailer is built and now I am working on the hitch as the weather lets me and when I get time away from both my jobs. I don't have a digital camera so pics are not posted. I have to line the trailer sides and put the floor in also. I'll try to bug my wife to bring her camera home from work and take some photos to get on the page.
God Bless us all.
88 NX 125, 99 Valkyrie, 02 KLR
Pulling my homebuilt monowheel
klrbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:42 PM   #105
upminer
n00b

BMW hitch and trailer

I built a small trailer for my BMW Dakar. Photos are at
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/upmine...iner/my_photos

It is crude and has about 1500 miles on it so far. I would gather it weighs approximately 100 lbs.
upminer is offline   Reply With Quote