Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2007, 09:13 AM   #106
Whammo
Nature's toothbrush

Oddometer: 2,174
Probably have to be careful where you park...no backing!

Whoa, that's pretty ambitious! Way to blaze your own trail.

What's it like pulling with a bike on that thing?
Whammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:35 PM   #107
nick_rhinocycles
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
This is a really cool thing you are doing, and I have thought of this for my R100GS, for 2-up touring. Get all the weight off my suspension!

To keep tongue weight down you could "center" the wheel in the trailer instead of having it at the rear. Then you just balance the trailer when you load it and your tongue weight should be way down.

The suspension idea is good, but I have a small trailer that holds 2 500lb bikes and it has no suspension. Why do you need it?

All you really need it a sturdy-ass wheel with bearings capable of both the load and speed, and a big enough tire to absorb some bumps.

I would use a motorcycle wheel myself, hell I even got a couple of old CB750 wheels! Come and get em! =-0
--Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cheat
If you hit a bump just right, will it bounce up & hit you in the back of the head?
Sorry, couldn't resist.
-Dan

nick_rhinocycles screwed with this post 02-19-2007 at 05:02 PM
nick_rhinocycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:47 PM   #108
Desertman
Seeker

Oddometer: 204
Trail tail

Might be 205 but just ran across this before finding this post.

http://www.trailtail.com/main.html
Desertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:54 PM   #109
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 561
I installed a hidden receiver hitch on my VTX1800. Then I came up with this bright idea. Looked good on paper, the quad was tooooo heavy. If I had to slam on the brakes in a turn, with all that weight it would jack knife. I did 70mph on the highway and it was scary,
Danger

Old 04-03-2007, 02:06 PM   #110
klrbaer
Tim

Oddometer: 280
My Trailer

Hey, my trailer is on the rode, in the testing phase. Today we did about 20 miles with loads from 36 lbs. to 104 lbs. I only had a few bolts come loose from the vibration. Nothing lost. The trailer did a great job of tracking once I tightened the axle nuts and the wheel could not move. I took some pics but they are 35 mm and I need develope them to a disk and then have my wife show me how to put them on the net. I still have work to do on it. wiring for the stoplights and turn signals, mounting bracket for the license plate, then disassemble, prep and paint. I called the DMV and they said that the title and tags will cost $95.00. OUCH But O'WELL I want this thing on the rode. I already had 1 guy ask if he could ride in it, and seeing an opportunity to being sued, I choose not to give him a ride.
God Bless us all.
88 NX 125, 99 Valkyrie, 02 KLR
Pulling my homebuilt monowheel
klrbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:11 PM   #111
orklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75,000 Miles
I have a one-wheeled trailer that I pull behind my KLR 650 and I love it, it is able to go trail-riding also due to the nice clearance. I had posted a write up on it with lots of photos at www.KLR650.net, search for "Trailer-One Wheeled". Did a 13,000 mile trip across the country pulling it, that's the way to travel.

[IMG]file:///G:/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///G:/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]
Some one needs to start producing Cycle Burro's Burito again!
Rounders
PNWRiders
KLRWorld
STN

orklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 09:40 PM   #112
klrbaer
Tim

On the road again

I remade my hitch and now I can tighten down the nuts and it controls the wobble. I loaded it down this morning and made my way to work on the 2 lane roads. I didn't have any problems. Tomorrow is another day and when I go home from work we will see how it works.
God Bless us all.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:30 AM   #113
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

How was the trip home? Any pic's of your trailer?
Old 05-21-2007, 01:34 PM   #114
klrbaer
Tim

the trip home

My trip home was also great. I took the long way and even some gravel. I can't wait to have it 100 % and legal. As far as pics, I don't have a way of getting them on the site. I don't have internet at home so I've to stop at the Libary or use the one at work. They have all these rules you know. I'll keep writing thought.
God Bless us all.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:26 AM   #115
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertman
Might be 205 but just ran across this before finding this post.

http://www.trailtail.com/main.html

Has no one purchased one of these and has the vendor done anything more with this?

I would like to see some more test results on this. $1400 for this trailer as posted on this thread seems abit steep to me for the little amount of information available on this. Is there any inmates in the area of this vendor that could do a tour and report back?

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:07 PM   #116
Mitchamus
I do my own stunts..

Oddometer: 315
have you guys seen unigo's??

not sure how they would go off-road... prolly be great on a dirt-bhan... not sure about a fire-trail.

http://www.uni-go-trailers.com/

Mitchamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 10:51 AM   #117
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Hi guys:

I have a single wheeled trailer which I made to tow behind my KLR. It has a Pacrack rear rack system as the tow bar customized to tow with. The trailer uses an old Honda 90 rear swing arm and suspension. It has a new tire and tube more street than dirt for sure, just for better highway riding. The trailer is made from 3/4" square tubing and mig welded together. The outer skin is Alluminium siliconed and riveted onto the framwork to ensure a water proof seal. It has 2 compartments in it for storage both with water tight hinged covers. It has a rear carrier also to allow you to put even more stuff on the rear if you can't get it all inside.It has rear lights, reflectors, safety chain(to keep the boys in blue happy). It weighs very close to 50lbs, it was 38lbs before I sheeted the outside of it and I haven't weighed it since.
And the best part of all a ODSC sticker on each side to show support...

I am asking $900 for the whole turn key set-up and I think if you look around at the other trailers available that is a very fair price ....IMHO

I just like making stuff and will be making another one as soon as this one sells to test the market for making these as a semi extra income sort of thing....

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/Willys52/?action=view&current=320-2097_IMG.jpg

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/Willys52/?action=view&current=320-2098_IMG.jpg

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/Willys52/?action=view&current=320-2094_IMG.jpg

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c241/Willys52/?action=view&current=320-2093_IMG.jpg
willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:09 AM   #118
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Did you say you made a trailer?? All I could see was the good looking chick. You lucky dog, my wife won't touch a bike after my knee injury.
P.S. The trailer and set up looks good also.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:04 AM   #119
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_rhinocycles
To keep tongue weight down you could "center" the wheel in the trailer instead of having it at the rear. Then you just balance the trailer when you load it and your tongue weight should be way down.
THANKS. That just solved one of my design issues. I will build mine to hold two jerry cans in the back straddling the wheel.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:49 AM   #120
stinkfinger
Chickenfat dirtbiker

Oddometer: 1,213
Any updates guys?

Tony
stinkfinger is online now   Reply With Quote