Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
densecity OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Question Only Owned Thumpers, Please help First Beast!

Hi All,
I have never owned anything besides a thumper. Had a DRZ, and still have a KTM 690 SMC. I plan to keep the KTM, and get something a little smoother for longer road trips.

Even though they are vastly different, I have been looking heavily into a Triumph Scrambler and the Honda NC700X.

The bike will be used to commute maybe 2 times a month + Weekend rides 200-500 miles. 90% On pavement.

I live in NYC, I am 6'4", 230lb.
Any advice on those two bikes, or maybe another suggestion to look at? I am not much of a Harley person, and don't want a sport riding position bike.

Thanks very much!
densecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:59 AM   #2
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
New or used? There's a lot of bikes in between those two.

As you said, very different bikes for sure. Personally I much rather have the Scrambler but that's my feelings about the two bikes showing through more than a blind riding comparison.

Other bikes I'd consider would be the Yamaha FZ-09, maybe the -07 also, Vstrom (pick your engine size), Tiger 800 std (based on the mission statement), the older Tiger 1050 also. A bit smaller and you can consider a Honda CB500X which I'd prefer over the NC700X myself. The engine in the NC700X is very low rpm high mpg oriented, it signs off very early, a bit over 5k rpm I think.

You might want to consider a the new Ninja 1000, the riding position is pretty neutral and it's a nice bike for longer rides, especially with the bags. A Bandit 1200/1250 is also fairly neutral position and easy to add bar risers. The Triumph Speed (1050) and Street 675) triples are nice bikes, a "bit" more lean angle but not much and both are very nice on the street.

My personal choice would be the Tiger 800 std (aka roadie).
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
densecity OP
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks for the advice. I sat on a fz-09 and it felt really small on me.
I should have mentioned a budget I realize, forgot that. I'd like to buy used, and stay around $5-6K or under. I like the cb500x, but would it handle my size OK? The Vstrom is nice I'm sure, but for some reason the looks of it don't float my boat. How is the versys on a taller rider?
densecity is offline   Reply With Quote