ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #1
avc8130 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Oddometer: 985
Yamaha FZ09 based Tall Bike

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2014/08/1...-sport-tourer/

opine
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #2
The Rizz
Studly Adventurer
 
The Rizz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Golden, CO
Oddometer: 580
Looks cool but I'm not interested in a sport tourer. Give it a 19 inch front wheel at least. Hopefully they fixed the snatchy FI.
__________________
Current: 2008 Versys, 1997 DR650.

Sold, stolen, or totalled: 2004 525 EXC, 2009 Street Triple, 2005.5 950 Adventure, 2003 DRZ400e, 2000 DR650, 2004 KLR650, 2003 DRZ400s, 2002 DRZ400s, 2003 FZ1, 1998 VFR800, 1996 Ninja 250 race bike, 2000 TL1000R, 2000 ZR7.
The Rizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Roanoke Valley, Virginia
Oddometer: 1,114
Neat

Thanks for posting
__________________
2013 DR650se
1995 Honda F3 (Sold)
Ride report: USA. Deep South: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948886
USA: 77 Day ride report, coming this winter
Northeast trip planning: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003227
The_Precious_Juice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #4
bungees
epsilon semi-n00b
 
bungees's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: the great southern abyss - central MS
Oddometer: 159
Meh. Looks like an FZ1 fairing and seat cobbled onto an -09. Almost makes the Suzie V2 look hawt.
__________________
Stable: R1150RT
bungees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion
 
scudrunner82's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Catskill, NY
Oddometer: 1,284
meh X2.

Looks like a wannabe multistrada. Except with a 3 cylinder that is extra boring in my opinion. Its a nice looking bike though.

For a street bike might as well have a big engine with big power, and at that point a little extra weight isn't a big deal.

Give it 21/18 in wheels and 9 inches of suspension and I might be interested enough to deal with the triple

Yamaha has a few other bikes in the pipeline that seem much more interesting though
__________________
Hungry Tenere Trip Team Ghetto Does a Hot Lap of America(live now!!!)
02' CRF450, 02' Monster 900, 14 1190R, 14' 350 EXC-F,

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:06 PM   #6
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??
 
Pcfly's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: SF. Bay Area
Oddometer: 964
Looks cool......and if you've ridden an FZ-09 then you know it's got plenty of kick........that motor is rip'in good!!! Add to that, it's probably an inexpensive bike so you get to save your money and embarrass the yuppy crowd! Good move Yamaha!
__________________
2008 BMW 1200GS The Blue Rhino
2011 Husqvarna TE-630 The Red Raptor
2012 Yamaha 50th Anniversary Badass-Sounding R1
Pcfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:07 AM   #7
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,094
Already a thread in road warriors.
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:15 AM   #8
avc8130 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Oddometer: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Already a thread in road warriors.
That's fine, I figured the Beasts would like to discuss because so many are looking to Yamaha for a lighter "ADV". I'm not sure this answers the mail. If they would have at least slapped a 19" on the front it would be Vstrom/Tiger Roadie competition.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:09 AM   #9
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by scudrunner82 View Post
meh X2.

Looks like a wannabe multistrada. Except with a 3 cylinder that is extra boring in my opinion. Its a nice looking bike though.

For a street bike might as well have a big engine with big power, and at that point a little extra weight isn't a big deal.

Give it 21/18 in wheels and 9 inches of suspension and I might be interested enough to deal with the triple

Yamaha has a few other bikes in the pipeline that seem much more interesting though
It would seem that you have little first hand knowledge of this engine.

This is one of Yamaha's best engines, IMHO. It is super smooth, has torque throughout the rev range, good strong top end, and gets good gas mileage. There are no obvious flaws with this engine.

My buddy has an FZ-09 and I expected my 2007 Tuono with over 130 hp to kick his butt. Imagine my surprise when they turned out to be almost dead even up to 130mph. After that, who cares! The Yamaha stock is limited to 132 mph.

If Yamaha puts this engine in an adventure bike my Super Tenere will be gone in a second. The 1200 is a turd compared to the 900 and not nearly as smooth.

Yamaha has been building some great 3 cylinder engines in the snowmobiles for a number of years and we could benefit greatly if they would have more available in their motorcycles.
__________________
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
2007 Aprilia Tuono
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:32 AM   #10
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes
 
chadhargis's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Nashville, TN
Oddometer: 2,097
I nearly bought an FZ-09, but bought a used Dorsoduro 750 instead because the FZ just didn't feel quite right to me. It ticked all the right boxes, but just felt to small for my big body.

Now THIS would be perfect!! And for goodness sake don't put on a stupid 19" front wheel like the V-Strom and S10.

I'm still waiting to see what the EBR "AX" looks like.

All I want is a bike that puts 80-100hp to the wheel, weighs less than 500lbs, and has lots of legroom. The Dorso is a fantastic bike so far. Only thing that irritates me a bit is the small fuel tank, but when I tour on it, I'll bungee a gas can to the seat and rock on.
__________________
__________________________________
Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing
chadhargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:59 AM   #11
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion
 
scudrunner82's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Catskill, NY
Oddometer: 1,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
It would seem that you have little first hand knowledge of this engine.

This is one of Yamaha's best engines, IMHO. It is super smooth, has torque throughout the rev range, good strong top end, and gets good gas mileage. There are no obvious flaws with this engine.

My buddy has an FZ-09 and I expected my 2007 Tuono with over 130 hp to kick his butt. Imagine my surprise when they turned out to be almost dead even up to 130mph. After that, who cares! The Yamaha stock is limited to 132 mph.

If Yamaha puts this engine in an adventure bike my Super Tenere will be gone in a second. The 1200 is a turd compared to the 900 and not nearly as smooth.

Yamaha has been building some great 3 cylinder engines in the snowmobiles for a number of years and we could benefit greatly if they would have more available in their motorcycles.


I have owned and ridden 3 cylinder bikes, a Speed Triple and found the engines boring. 3 cylinder engine characteristics put me to sleep. They are too smooth almost electric motor-like, and too linear, and the exhaust note is ho-hum. But thats just me. I realize they make excellent, efficient engines with lots of power. I'd prefer a twin though.
__________________
Hungry Tenere Trip Team Ghetto Does a Hot Lap of America(live now!!!)
02' CRF450, 02' Monster 900, 14 1190R, 14' 350 EXC-F,

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:27 AM   #12
ZORBA
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Veria Greece
Oddometer: 74
Will they make a 21 inch version?
ZORBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:40 AM   #13
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Oddometer: 273
It's just another variation of Fazer -- very little difference. Don't quite understand what Yamaha point is.
__________________
vsari.com -- the new horizons!
Bolzen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #14
swimmer
armchair asshole
 
swimmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: tucson
Oddometer: 4,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
That's fine, I figured the Beasts would like to discuss because so many are looking to Yamaha for a lighter "ADV". I'm not sure this answers the mail. If they would have at least slapped a 19" on the front it would be Vstrom/Tiger Roadie competition.

ac

It doesn't answer that mail which is why it's a road only bike. I have a tiger 800 roadie and I'd rather it have a 17" front wheel and I'm not alone so this is real competition for the tiger 800 roadie. Why put a 19" wheel on a road only bike?
swimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #15
avc8130 OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northern NJ
Oddometer: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
It doesn't answer that mail which is why it's a road only bike. I have a tiger 800 roadie and I'd rather it have a 17" front wheel and I'm not alone so this is real competition for the tiger 800 roadie. Why put a 19" wheel on a road only bike?
Because they made it LOOK like an ADV bike.

This reminds me of the Tiger 1050. In fact, most of the specs are probably very similar. That didn't work out well for Triumph. Maybe this will work better for Yamaha.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014