ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #1
Mojoman OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Fully outfitted S10 for $14,500. Need advice.

I just sold my 13 BMW F700gs. Good bike, but I wanted something more distance friendly, and not in the shop all the time. My local dealer has a new 13 Super Tenere that is $14,500 with side cases and top box OTD. My only reservation is the parallel twin. The Beemer was so buzzy at highway speeds it made me insane. Any feedback on the Tenere is appreciated. I need the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks guys!
Mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
kvango
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojoman View Post
I just sold my 13 BMW F700gs.
My only reservation is the parallel twin. The Beemer was so buzzy at highway speeds it made me insane. Any feedback on the Tenere is appreciated. I need the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks guys!

Engine:
Completely different 'twins

BMW/Rotax is a 360 degree twin (both pistons are in the same position - firing order is 360 degrees apart). Tenere is a 270 degrees (crank journals are 90 degrees apart, firing order 270 (1-2) then 450 (2-1) degrees apart.

The Tenere is similar to a V-twin in sound/feel. And all of the piston mass is not accelerating/decelerating at the same time -- really big difference.

The Rotax actually resorts to this bulky counterbalancing system -- with a third weighted connecting rod - which is not completely effective.

The Tenere cruises nicely - 3600 rpm is about 70 mph. The BMW is spinning around 5k, if I remember correctly . . .

There are a number of improvements for '14 - see if you can find one to test drive. You might be able to match/beat that price for a '14 if you are willing to drive a little.

Kevin.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:03 PM   #3
derekj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
No matter what we say, you need to test one. Words are inadequate to describe this machine. Be warned, carry your checkbook with you. As mentioned above, two different engines.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,690
It's heavy, which shouldn't be a problem unless you drop it, and by reputation, "unexciting".

Which is O.K. with me, I like unexciting in my bikes, exciting usually equates to unreliable.

You need to ride one, they don't seem to have any expensive issues at least.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:50 PM   #5
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvango View Post
There are a number of improvements for '14 - see if you can find one to test drive. You might be able to match/beat that price for a '14 if you are willing to drive a little.

Kevin.
Not sure what the OPs OTD price included, but if it includes tax and title and govt fees, it's not a bad deal. The 2014 does have some new features that the 2013 doesn't.
My non-ES 2014 that I picked up yesterday was $100 more that the OPs Bike with Yamaha side cases, Yamaha heated grips and 4 years of YES plan on top of the 1yr warranty. Georgia adds on 7% TAVT tax (based on the bikes "value" that the state determines) and then a title fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekj View Post
No matter what we say, you need to test one. Words are inadequate to describe this machine. Be warned, carry your checkbook with you. As mentioned above, two different engines.
Good advice. I was on the fence until a friend let me take his for a spin.

I am coming from a relatively buzzy Ninja 650 and a bucket of bolts (KLR650). I only have 17 miles on my S10, but can already tell is way more refined than what I'm used to.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:58 PM   #6
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,438
Quote:
I just sold my 13 BMW F700gs. Good bike, but I wanted something more distance friendly, and not in the shop all the time. My local dealer has a new 13 Super Tenere that is $14,500 with side cases and top box OTD. My only reservation is the parallel twin. The Beemer was so buzzy at highway speeds it made me insane. Any feedback on the Tenere is appreciated. I need the good, the bad, and the ugly. Thanks guys!

I bought my 14 ES back in December and immediately rode it from the dealership in Henderson N.C. to Monterrey Mexico and back home to N. Ga. in something like five days so I got real used to it in a short time!

I came off a fairly well modded 04 DL650 and to tell the truth, I just don't think the Tenere is 12K$ better than my DL650 {my DL650 has a ton of miles and is only worth 2-3K$}. My DL650 had Jessie panniers, top box, audiovox cruise, heated grips, custom seat, skid plate, engine guards and best of all, a very modified suspension with more ground clearance and travel along with better damping and spring rates. It flat out handles well on and off tarmac. It handles better than the Tenere on and off tarmac. I was initially sorta underwhelmed when I bought the Tenere. Fueling is snatchy/twitchy in the bottom couple of gears when in S mode. Conversely, T mode is only worth fiddling with when off tarmac. Otherwise, it's in S mode. Some aftermarket tuning will smooth the fueling and get rid of the torque management in the bottom gears. Will prolly do the Arrow header at the same time to get rid of the cats and pick up a few HP and I think I could then run a 13 skid plate to pick up a smidge more ground clearance. The Tenere has boat loads more power than the DL so no comparison there. The DL is smoother though, feels like a sewing machine vs a lawn mower damned near. But, that is a by product of pistons that are nearly twice the size and weight, completely understandable. It is smoother than a DL1k though and more than a few other big twins I've road. The KTM 1190 is rougher, the BMW Water Boxer is comparable if memory serves.

I used my DL650 a lot off tarmac. To be perfectly honest, I notice the extra weight of the Tenere, I notice it a lot off tarmac. Will not be doing the rougher stuff I did on my DL on the Tenere. Saying that, the Tenere is perfectly slotted between my old FJR and my DL650. It eats miles like a pig eats slop, maybe better than my old FJR yet it works worlds better off tarmac. The Tenere is a better tourer than the DL650 due to better wind management and a higher cruise speed {my DL650 was running 14/50 gearing} and is a lot more powerful. The heavily modded DL was better off tarmac. The ES suspension while not being as good as my DLs in terms of damping, is much more flexible due to the ease of adjustment. I didn't think I would be "twizzling" the damping and preload setting as near as much as I do. On tarmac, the Tenere has less cornering clearance than the modded DL. It touches the peg left peg feeler very soon with the right peg touching not far behind even when the preload and damping are set full hard. Matter of fact, the peg clearance is a bit of a nuisance when playing in the twisties. My FJR was short on cornering clearance also and I raised it an inch but that option isn't feasible for me with the Tenere.

As far as ergonomics goes, I'm 5'6 and have a 30 inch inseam. I would like the bars to be taller by an inch or so and further back towards the rider. The bars also have too much sweep for me. I've noticed that Yamaha likes a lot of sweep for some reason as my FJR was the same. Like the FJR, the excessive sweep hurts my hands/wrists on long rides and like the FJR, I'll be changing that. A set of Raptor bend Pro Tapers are in my future. I would prefer the pegs to be further forward too but that's a harder fix. My DL650 had the pegs relocated forward and lower by an inch and that combined with the OE bars being moved back and up an inch resulted in ergos that were perfect for me,,,,felt like a dirt bike when standing.

I don't think I'll be able to get the Tenere that good but since I won't be riding near as much rough off tarmac and standing alot, not an issue. The seat on the Tenere is damned near perfect for me when it comes to a normal,,, non Russel, winged, suspension type seat. Will not be changing it other than maybe some minor reshaping that I'll do myself.

The Tenere is a much better two up bike than the DL650. Compared to the FJR, two-up riding is a toss-up with the Tenere being better in some areas, worse in others. Considering that the Tenere is much, much better than the FJR off tarmac,, that's icing on the cake as I bought the Tenere to be my 2 up bike after selling the FJR.

I still have the DL but will be selling it and buying a Honda in a year or two if the rumor of the new TA is true. If the TA is a dud or is otherwise not a good choice for me, I'll pick up a used CB500X and mod it as a 1 up Adv bike. Either way, the Tenere is a keeper and I think it will easily take the place of the FJR as my all time favorite bike. Very versatile, flexible and by all reports,,,,,, dead nuts reliable and very low maintenance just like the FJR.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM   #7
SilverBullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
I also still have my DL650 after buying the Tenere. My Wee has basically stock suspension (emulators, Sonic spring, fork brace) and compared to the stock Tenere suspension it sucks off road. Stock for stock the Tenere is a big upgrade.

If you bought a brand new DL650XT and added the upgrades from your list, total price would be very close to the $14,500 Tenere. So explain that $12K savings? Comparing an older, high mileage, well worn bike to a brand new bike with factory warranty? But the used Stroms are an excellent value. Mine probably has $3K in extras on it and value if I sold it is probably only ~$2K. So for that amount I have no plans to sell it. It's worth more than that to me to have an extra bike.

The only thing I really miss from my Wee is the ultra smooth fueling and flash to pass trigger.

_
2002 KTM 300EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM   #8
panzer
team schweinhund

Oddometer: 162
Thumb

I have a 2012 Tenere' that I set up myself (giant loop-garmin-piaa-allgood stuff) and have a lot less into it than that price. I t has become my go to bike with the Yamaha reliability. At least you are on the right path getting rid of the BMW.
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM   #9
LJM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
My $ .02 Ive owned BMW GS & an 2009 rt I replaced the RT with a 2014 ES Tenere. I do a lot of hwg miles and was worried that the ST would be no match for the RT on the open road but was willing to compromise some comfort for reliability & $ savings on price. Surprisingly after installing the Yamaha tall wind screen the ST it's almost the mile eater the RT is. For off roading the ST I can't really comment or compare it to a smaller displacement bike but it's every bit as good as my 05 GS was maybe better. But IMO 550lbs bikes are not good off road bikes. If you want off road go light and less power. I researched the crap out of ST and ended up on a 2014 ES due to the upgrades from the 2013 bikes. I got the 14 out the door for just under 15K in CA. I really like the ST and looking forward to many many miles of worry free riding. The engine characteristics provides a lot of fun (torque) down low and real smooth on the hwg. I would look at a 14 or 15 year ST as the upgrades out weigh the cost of the hard bags if you can pick one up for under 15k.
Good luck with your next ride
LJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM   #10
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
So explain that $12K savings?
The internet.
Blue Skies Coming
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM   #11
Mojoman OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I really appreciate all the advice. I found a '15 non-ES version for roughly the same price, but with no panniers or top case. I hear the upgrades on the 14-15 make a big difference. So, loaded '13 or empty '15? I like the look of the white/blue '15 better than the matte grey '13. I didn't do much off-roading at all on my BMW. The Tenere seems to be a great tourer for two up riding, which is what I'm really after. I missed my opportunity for demo days in Lithia Springs, Ga today. It sucks, cause I've been bike less for two weeks! Maybe I can hold out for the Jacksonville demos next month. Probably not. Thanks, and all advice is appreciated!
Mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM   #12
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
The Tenere seems to be a great tourer for two up riding, which is what I'm really after.
Go for the 14 or newer. The smoother engine and cruise alone are worth it for your intended purpose.
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM   #13
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Yep, cruise swayed me out of buying a cheaper 13 also.
Blue Skies Coming
Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM   #14
BryceB

Quote:
I really appreciate all the advice. I found a '15 non-ES version for roughly the same price, but with no panniers or top case. I hear the upgrades on the 14-15 make a big difference. So, loaded '13 or empty '15? I like the look of the white/blue '15 better than the matte grey '13. I didn't do much off-roading at all on my BMW. The Tenere seems to be a great tourer for two up riding, which is what I'm really after. I missed my opportunity for demo days in Lithia Springs, Ga today. It sucks, cause I've been bike less for two weeks! Maybe I can hold out for the Jacksonville demos next month. Probably not. Thanks, and all advice is appreciated!
There is a Blue 2014 non-ES with no extras at Cycle Nation in McDonough, GA. I was quoted $13000+ tax last weekend. It has a tag on it for $13250+delivery and setup plus tax. The CN in Canton had the side cases on it so I got that one instead.
Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM   #15
BryceB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
Go for the 14 or newer. The smoother engine and cruise alone are worth it for your intended purpose.
I tested another riders 2012 or 13 and, maybe it's because mines all new and stuff, but the 2014 does seem smoother. I liked the one I tested, but the 2014 is nicer. The switch gear and gauge cluster us nicer too.

I wanted an ES but, really wanted the heated grips... So I got the grips and I'll add them on myself.