ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #1
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Oddometer: 308
V-Strom 1000 vs. Versys 1000 or...?

Curious about thoughts for people with experience owning/riding these bikes. About me: Ive been riding three years around the backroads of rural central PA. Long rides of about 300-400 miles, and now I am thinking about broadening my horizons, like longer weekend and weeklong trips. I ride mostly asphalt, but like to occasionally get off on a light fire road/gravel trail.

I ride a Tiger 800 now, but also owned an SV1000. I loved the instant grunt of the SV, and it handled incredibly well in the twisties. I'm looking for a bike that's FUN like that again.

I'm not big on wrenching my own, but I can do the basics. I've been kicking around a Multistrada or even a Stelvio (have dealers for both near me), but was surprised at how good the Japanese bikes looked when I went in to the shop.

So, that's it. Thoughts?

2012 Triumph Tiger 800 Roadie
2003 Suzuki SV 1000
FishrCutB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:23 AM   #2
Phipsd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishrCutB8 View Post
Curious about thoughts for people with experience owning/riding these bikes. About me: Ive been riding three years around the backroads of rural central PA. Long rides of about 300-400 miles, and now I am thinking about broadening my horizons, like longer weekend and weeklong trips. I ride mostly asphalt, but like to occasionally get off on a light fire road/gravel trail.

I ride a Tiger 800 now, but also owned an SV1000. I loved the instant grunt of the SV, and it handled incredibly well in the twisties. I'm looking for a bike that's FUN like that again.

I'm not big on wrenching my own, but I can do the basics. I've been kicking around a Multistrada or even a Stelvio (have dealers for both near me), but was surprised at how good the Japanese bikes looked when I went in to the shop.

So, that's it. Thoughts?
I've ridden the Tiger 800. Great motor, especially compared to my old V-Strom 1000, but I must say I much prefer my new 14 V-Strom 1000. Compared to the old Strom the new one is both more nimble and stable; handles vastly better and pulls like a train from down low. What it wouldn't have is the top end HP of your old SV. Is 90 RWHP enough?

What the new bike does have is less weight and a freer breathing nature. Everything about the bike is responsive: the brakes, the handling and the throttle. There are those in the press who have complained about the throttle or the brakes but I instantly found first time on the bike in a raging rainstorm, that the bike is all of a piece control wise. A lighter touch does the trick, compared to bigger heavier machines.

With peak torque at 4000, it has the grunt of a big inch powercruiser with the agility of a middleweight and is way more comfortable than either.

With this bike, my 62 year old self will be able to ride farther effortlessly in more comfort and be able to enjoy myself that much more in the backroad twisties. In terms of what the experienced rider really needs in the real world; this is a truly fine motorcycle.

tunblrURL:phipsd.tumblr.com

Phipsd screwed with this post 03-21-2015 at 12:55 AM
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:47 AM   #3
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,273
2002-2013 V-Strom 1000, and the newer 2014 model are just about totally different. So it would be helpful to specify, which model you are looking at.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:30 AM   #4
ARiderX
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
In terms of what the experienced rider really needs in the real world; this is a truly fine motorcycle.
I agree with that 200%. I've not been riding for long, so don't have a lot to compare it to, so take this for what it's worth... But when I tested that new v-strom, I couldn't be more impressed! Just everything on that bike is spot on, for an unbeatable price point.

No problem riding briskly, great traction from that engine where it really counts. The best real world motorcycle out there sold today in my opinion. Even the suspension was more than adequate, for me at least.

Only thing I didn't like is that the instrument cluster looks a bit cheap (big slab of plastic with some screen in it) and the bars could be a little beefier (I'm sure they're fine, it would be just a perception thing...)

Other than that, a home run. Leave it to suzuki to give you great bikes at great prices, for those who know where to look (and those who are not distracted by the slightest bit of bling and shine from Europe every time a model gets updated)
Old 03-21-2015, 05:34 AM   #5
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phipsd View Post
I've ridden the Tiger 800. Great motor, especially compared to my old V-Strom 1000, but I must say I much prefer my new 14 V-Strom 1000. Compared to the old Strom the new one is both more nimble and stable; handles vastly better and pulls like a train from down low. What it wouldn't have is the top end HP of your old SV. Is 90 RWHP enough?

What the new bike does have is less weight and a freer breathing nature. Everything about the bike is responsive: the brakes, the handling and the throttle. There are those in the press who have complained about the throttle or the brakes but I instantly found first time on the bike in a raging rainstorm, that the bike is all of a piece control wise. A lighter touch does the trick, compared to bigger heavier machines.

With peak torque at 4000, it has the grunt of a big inch powercruiser with the agility of a middleweight and is way more comfortable than either.

With this bike, my 62 year old self will be able to ride farther effortlessly in more comfort and be able to enjoy myself that much more in the backroad twisties. In terms of what the experienced rider really needs in the real world; this is a truly fine motorcycle.
Couldn't have said it better . . . (age 62 too). You definitely need to ride both bikes. Twins are better on the low end of the RPM . . .

My V2 nickname is "The Train" too. It is the best overall bike I have ever owned . . .
Old 03-21-2015, 07:25 AM   #6
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,979
If you're eyeballing jeep road, then the big Kawq is not the right choice. It is a pure street bike. The new V-Strom would seem to be the better tool.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:33 AM   #7
Mtneer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
I have a Tiger 800 road model, I rode the new Vstrom 1000 last year at a demo day, the V2's got more low end power and the front end with the radial brake setup is nice, top end didn't feel that stronger than the Tiger, a side by side would probably show the difference. If I were to buy a new bike for mainly road use and light dirt, I would buy a V2, but if I had a Tiger 800, and it was paid for like mine is I'd keep riding it, there is not much it can't do or the V2 does that much better. The Suzuki rep asked me about the bikes and I told him the same thing, I would like the front end of a V2 on my Tiger. If one were to buy new now the V2 can be had a discounted prices where a Tiger commands full retail prices, plus Suzuki has a zero financing offer going on certain models and the V2 is included.
Mtneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:39 AM   #8
Mtneer
Gnarly Adventurer

If you are seriously considering the V2, I'd call Romney Cycle and see about one, they have some left overs that no one bought last year, hard to believe but my friend who works in sales says they weren't big sellers, no freight or prep, the price they give you is the price plus a document fee of $75.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #9
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Versus 1000 by a long shot. If I could only have one bike the Versus would be near the top of the list.

I was in Daytona during bike week and had a chance to test ride about a dozen different bikes. The most impressive bikes were the Suzuki GSXS 750 and the Versus 1000. The least impressive bike was the V-Strom 1000. It felt like a low budget bike and I did not like it at all especially after riding the Versus.
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:10 AM   #10
FishrCutB8 OP
Oh HAI!

Oddometer: 308
What were the major differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
Versus 1000 by a long shot. If I could only have one bike the Versus would be near the top of the list.

I was in Daytona during bike week and had a chance to test ride about a dozen different bikes. The most impressive bikes were the Suzuki GSXS 750 and the Versus 1000. The least impressive bike was the V-Strom 1000. It felt like a low budget bike and I did not like it at all especially after riding the Versus.

2012 Triumph Tiger 800 Roadie
2003 Suzuki SV 1000
FishrCutB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:17 AM   #11
Echo1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Motorcyclist magazine has a comparo of the FJ-09, Versys 1000, & Vstrom 1000 in the May issue. I'm a digital subscriber so I don't know if the print edition is out yet.

They ranked the bikes:

1. Versys 1000
2. FJ-09
3. Vstrom 1000
Echo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 11:23 AM   #12
ARiderX
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
I just bought an 800 XCx, on a whim really... But if I hadn't done that, I would seriously look at a v strom and be all day happy with it.

Come to think of it, haven't even tested the XCx, but it looked good on paper :)
Old 03-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #13
Mtneer
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm sure as a street bike the Versys is a good bike, but if you do any unpaved riding at all, a bike with at least a 19" front wheel makes more sense, I'm sure you can take a Versys down some dirt roads but I wouldn't want the prospect of having to pick up a 570 lb bike. For the money $12,799 you get a lot of bike, hard bags, center stand, and good riding position in the Versys. The test on Motorcycle.com, of all the bikes had the FJ09 as the top pick, same bikes plus a VFR800 thrown in. Not really a bad bike in the bunch just different approaches and if you can test ride them all, and then pick which one suits you best, I guess having multiple bikes would be the best solution if you can afford them.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #14
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishrCutB8 View Post
What were the major differences?
Versus had more power, more stable chassis, better wind protection, better instruments, handled better, looked better, felt much better, had integrated luggage and would undoubtedly attract more ladies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo1 View Post
Motorcyclist magazine has a comparo of the FJ-09, Versys 1000, & Vstrom 1000 in the May issue. I'm a digital subscriber so I don't know if the print edition is out yet.

They ranked the bikes:

1. Versys 1000
2. FJ-09
3. Vstrom 1000
I would tend to agree with that ranking and I own an FJ-09 but the FJ is cheaper and lighter. It is a close call between 1 and 2 but 3rd is not in the same ball park as the others.

I have never owned a Kawasaki but the Versus is an excellent motorcycle.
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:30 PM   #15
bubbaj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
As mentioned above, Romneys Cycles in WV is an awesome place. I lived in DC for a bit and drove down there a few times to look around, love that place.

But as far as bikes go, I have never had the chance to ride a Vstrom 1000 or the verseys. But if I was shopping for a larger bike, the S10 would be at the top of my list, don't think you will find a nicer bike around the cost (from what I have read/watched/heard). The S10 was the bike I wanted but I got a good deal on a gleestrom.