ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #1
michaelkozera OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
CRF500L full build thread

so it is time. CRF500L here i come!

this build is a continuation of my crf300L:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1037914

the link above/ pics below are my crf300L-EVO1 version/build 2.0

now let begin with build 3.0................ Dakar style CRF500L-EVO1

goals of build/why im doing this:

ive been riding dirtbikes since i was a 8 year old kid and street bikes since i was 16. ive ridden every thing from the smallest of dirt bikes to the biggest of cruisers, to the fastest of sport bikes, and owned more bikes then i have fingers and toes.

my yamaha R1 was stupidly fun and ridiculously fast but limited to road/ good weather.....

my ktm690 was brutally fast and very capable off road, but vibrated like a paint shaker and burn more fuel then my car.....

my yamaha 450 was absolutely incredible off road, but not street legal....

i briefly owned a klr650 but that thing weighed so much that taking it off road was like trying to wrestler a grown bear......

my crf250L was my match made in heaven. it looks absolutely amazing, its very comfortable, ive taken it everywhere, in all weather, any temps, but there is one glaring problem with the crf250l, its engine although very economical is about as fun as math class. even after huge mods, and 50% more power then stock, it was still lacking.

my bike doesn't need to be a 200+km/hr bike, nor does it have to be a fire breathing dragon that can wheelie on demand, or spray rocks with rooster tail for days. but it still need a proper motor.

as i get older ive have started to appreciate the smaller things in life. i want a clam bike, a capable bike, an economical bike, a comfortable bike.

ive looked everywhere:

suzuki drz400, bmw gs, honda 650, etc etc. no manufacture makes what i want, what i yearn for.

my bike needs the following:
-fuel injection
-2 or more pistons
-low vibration
-tons of TQ/ linear TQ
-good fuel economy
-able to hold 110km/hr at any wind speed, all cross winds, and any hill/grade
-6 gears
-300w+ stator
-quiet exhaust
-catalytic converter is a must.
-at least 10" of ground clearance
-minimum 10" suspension travel
-below 360lb ( or close to)
-upright seating position
-comfortable wide seat, but narrow in the front/middle
-able to stand on foot pegs all day
-very low maintenance ( valve clearance/oil/tires/ etc/etc)
-reliable
-87octane

essentially i want to make the perfect 50/50 dual sport. ive noticed the market lacks this true 50/50 machine.

the crf/klx/wr are all 80/20 (off/on road) while the klr/gs is 20/80.

the ktm 690 or the new crf1000L is probably the closet thing to 50/50 you can get. (ktm=60/40, crf1000l=40/60) but ktm sucks gass and vibrates like a #$%^#$ while the crf1000L altho a very nice machine will be 450lb+ not to mention 1000cc= poor fuel economy.

is my goal of a true 50/50 achievable? thats what this build is all about! crf500L the bike honda should have made.

enjoy:

donner engine from a 2013 cbr500r, 3370km on the engine :)

got her running, no error, no engine light, everything runs great!

getting bike ready

old engine out, new one going in!

it important to note, the crf250l engine is 87lb wet. while the cbr500r engine is 106lb wet

since my bike currently weighs 338lb, then i should have a total weight of 357lb+ a few lb for other things, so looking at a total finished weight of 365-370lb

size is very similar. the cbr500r engine is exactly 2" wider (1" on each side) and 2.5-3" longer from from to back.

got her all cleaned up and ready for its new multi piston power plant.
and painted the frame.

swapped out the fuel pumps, turns out they share the same mount points.

got the engine mounted in frame. engine is a VERY tight fit.

and as predicted the oil sump sits exactly 1" lower then the stock frame, thus i will have 1" of less ground clearance once the new sub frame goes in.

stock ground clearance was 10" , i raised my bike to 12" and now ill have 11", so 1" higher then stock still.

i cannot move the engine any higher because it will hit the fuel tank.

the TB fits perfectly, almost like it was meant to be in this frame...........

i was not joking when i said it was a tight fit.

got the subframe welded up today. still not done, ive got some work to do on the head tube, and 1 or 2 more cross braces.

i triple butted the welds for maximum strength.

got the entire frame welded today, and bash plate on.

bike now sits at exactly 11" ground clearance.

i also made some bash guards on the side to protect the engine in the event of a crash. these bash guard also double as structural support for the frame.

a huge thank you to my friend jurai antonak (welder by trade) which helped me with the welding to make sure it was structural. i am an engineer and i can weld but im no expert when it comes to welding.

stay tuned!

michaelkozera screwed with this post Yesterday at 11:54 PM
michaelkozera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #2
michaelkozera OP
Gnarly Adventurer

reserved.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:28 PM   #3
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 6,284
Huge project, will follow it closely.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:43 PM   #4
Chillywater
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Emissions

Was wondering if your leaving in emissions junk that you may not need, depending on where you live? Not even sure how much stuff is added to the bike specifically for California type regulations, but I would think without them you would shed some weight as well as squeeze a little more juice out. Maybe even prevent a future breakdown, by removing some fancy tech that may go bad eventually..

Not that you'll need extra juice with your new 500, less weight would be a plus though. Would certainly like to know what (if anything) is unneeded on the original engine...

Good luck
Chillywater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:44 PM   #5
John Ashman
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,453
God, yes.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:46 PM   #6
poomero
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Good luck i hope it turns out they way you want it to. If it does this will be an amazing bike.
poomero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #7
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,663

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:15 PM   #8
kyns
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkozera View Post

Well there's your problem.

Have you measured the counter sprocket geometry yet? That 500 sump looks to hang about 3 or 4 inhes lower in relation to the CS, than on the 250.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:16 PM   #9
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 15,221
Before coming in here I thought, if he keeps it under 360 pounds I'll follow along and there you are, shooting for 360.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:12 PM   #10
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 4,278
Last year people were talking about bringing the front suspension of the CRF250L to the CB500X (the almost forgotten Thai project). Now you come here and propose to bring the CB500X motor to the CRF250L frame. Come to think about it, it seems like a better idea. Let's see if you can pull this off.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #11
Maxacceleration
Awol

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ashman View Post
God, yes.
Oh God.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:44 PM   #12
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 6,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
Oh God.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #13
rlkat
Mine's a whisky

Oddometer: 189
Big respect to you if you pull this one off. If so, then you will have a cracking bike at the end. Good luck.
Old 07-02-2015, 10:43 PM   #14
michaelkozera OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillywater View Post
Was wondering if your leaving in emissions junk that you may not need, depending on where you live? Not even sure how much stuff is added to the bike specifically for California type regulations, but I would think without them you would shed some weight as well as squeeze a little more juice out. Maybe even prevent a future breakdown, by removing some fancy tech that may go bad eventually..

Not that you'll need extra juice with your new 500, less weight would be a plus though. Would certainly like to know what (if anything) is unneeded on the original engine...

Good luck
i want the emissions stuff because ive noticed with the wind screen that alll those nasty gasses ( monoxide, unburnt HC, Nox, Hox, etc etc) get trapped in that low pressure zone behind the windscreen. its not really that big of an issue but it does annoy me sometimes, plus i dont wanna poison my self.

on the flip side i also want the catalytic converter because it reduces noise, also these engines are low HP but high TQ, and TQ gets made with back pressure. catalytic converter = back pressure= more TQ.

however if weight becomes an issue i might have to dump the emmisions junk since its about 20lb for all of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyns View Post
Well there's your problem.

Have you measured the counter sprocket geometry yet? That 500 sump looks to hang about 3 or 4 inhes lower in relation to the CS, than on the 250.
correct, the cbr500 engine is 3 inches taller ( 1"taller from the sprocket, and 2" lower from the sprocket)

this my be a problem but i have an idea. the old crf250l frame was about 2" below the crf250l motor, with this new build i will be welding a new bottom frame and i will make the motor and the frame sit flush with each other, thus my ground clearance should not be effected.

but worst case scenario, my bike has been raised by 2", so if i lose 2" due to engine ill be back to stock ground clearance :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Last year people were talking about bringing the front suspension of the CRF250L to the CB500X (the almost forgotten Thai project). Now you come here and propose to bring the CB500X motor to the CRF250L frame. Come to think about it, it seems like a better idea. Let's see if you can pull this off.
i was actually about to buy a cb500x and convert it to off road, dirtbike forks/shocks, 21"/18" rims, etc etc. but in the end i decided not to becuase the total net weight would be 430lb+, too heavy for any real off road. ive iowned a KLR650 and that thing was a fat pig off road. not fun.

360lb is already pushing it.

michaelkozera screwed with this post 07-02-2015 at 10:55 PM
Old 07-03-2015, 07:02 AM   #15
Samtech79
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
You could always build a new sump. Your probably not going to run the exhaust that low or next to the sump like stock... A shallow wide sump wouldn't be too hard to build. Changing the pick up should be too difficult either.
Samtech79 is offline   Reply With Quote