Both DL650 & DL1000 66 1.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4577. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2006, 08:05 AM   #151
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Oddometer: 1,984
Great thread!!!!!

Hey Queenie,

Great thread, look forward to it everyday!!!! You go girl!!!!

SFS

southforkspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:09 AM   #152
Queen OP
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by southforkspeedster
Hey Queenie,

Great thread, look forward to it everyday!!!! You go girl!!!!

SFS

Hiya SFS, me too! It's one of the first things I check when I log on.
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 08:21 AM   #153
DavesNotHere
Aging squid

Oddometer: 299
In the UK the sales figures show a large swing towards Wee vs. V.

Thanks to those nice people at the MCIA the full results for this year up to the end of October are:

DL650 545
DL1000 125
KLV1000 82

The rolling year figures (Nov 04 to Oct 05) are:

DL650 591
DL1000 156
KLV1000 87

The October figures are:

DL650 30
DL1000 2
KLV1000 12

2014 Red Honda CBR500R / Location: Colorado
DavesNotHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 09:21 PM   #154
Queen OP
Escapee

Anyone know the sales figures for the US?? Since the Wee hasn't been around as long I'd be really curious to see a head to head comparison by years of production.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:14 AM   #155
jconli1
pleasant

Oddometer: 203
Started with a 1000, then got a 650. Liked the 1000's on-road character (nothing like lumping along at 100mph with the engine barely breaking a sweat), but frankly the bike got squirrelly above 105, and most of that headroom was wasted. I liked the 650's lighter weight, shorter gearing (on the trails - still miss the tall 6th on the highway), and lack of niggling problems.

Went to a Zook dealer yesterday to look at DR-Zs. Asked how the Stroms were selling, the guy said, "No one buys those pieces of crap. You can't do anything with 'em. I don't know why they bother selling 'em here." I asked him outside to show him mine, freshly covered in clay and mud with Jesses and everything. He replied with a very perplexed, "Huh..."
jconli1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 06:26 AM   #156
Queen OP
Escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconli1
...Went to a Zook dealer yesterday to look at DR-Zs. Asked how the Stroms were selling, the guy said, "No one buys those pieces of crap. You can't do anything with 'em. I don't know why they bother selling 'em here." I asked him outside to show him mine, freshly covered in clay and mud with Jesses and everything. He replied with a very perplexed, "Huh..."
My local dealer sat on an '03 1000 until Fall of '05, he said he wouldn't order any more of those "damn stupid strom things". His floor manager ignored and ordered several 650's and can't keep them in stock.

I wonder if geography plays into it?? We don't have any off-roading places near here so the only folks who buy DS or dirt bikes are local farmers.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:39 AM   #157
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 949
My MSF students ask a LOT of questions about my Wee 650...
1-Aren't you too short to rode that,
2-What is it,
3-I thought you said you rode every day...thats ONLY a 650, does it have enough power.
4-Ever take it off any sweet jumps
5- Is that a BMW???

Unless you know what you want, the bike doesn't fit a commonly known niche. I can see how a salesman would struggle with these question and take a buyer toward the GSXR lineup...pity though. Keep selling GSXRS to the squids, and keep my insurance rates low!
DLdeano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:01 AM   #158
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLdeano
Unless you know what you want, the bike doesn't fit a commonly known niche. I can see how a salesman would struggle with these question and take a buyer toward the GSXR lineup...pity though. Keep selling GSXRS to the squids, and keep my insurance rates low!
For most people a motorcycle is a toy. When toy shopping, they gravitate toward what is popular, cruisers and sportbikes. This is just my opinion, based on my own observations, but I doubt there's a lot of consideration for how and where they will actually ride, and what motorcycle would actually best meet their needs. It's understandable that a non-enthusiast dealer would have the same mindset.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:44 AM   #159
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by QBOTU
My local dealer sat on an '03 1000 until Fall of '05, he said he wouldn't order any more of those "damn stupid strom things". His floor manager ignored and ordered several 650's and can't keep them in stock.

I wonder if geography plays into it?? We don't have any off-roading places near here so the only folks who buy DS or dirt bikes are local farmers.
QB, I think your area is very similar to where I live, with lots of gravel farm roads (albeit more square than curvy). I love the V-Strom on that stuff, especially when I can find the old roads that were built to the creek paths rather than on a grid. There are some that don't get much traffic, therefore minimal maintenance (esp. on the Pottawatomie Reservation), as well as some dirt tracks on the old farmsteads that no longer have anyone living on them. The Wee is perfect for me, because I can commute, keep up with anyone sane on asphalt, for as long as I want, and still spend long afternoons wandering in farm country.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:48 AM   #160
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
For most people a motorcycle is a toy. When toy shopping, they gravitate toward what is popular, cruisers and sportbikes. This is just my opinion, based on my own observations, but I doubt there's a lot of consideration for how and where they will actually ride, and what motorcycle would actually best meet their needs. It's understandable that a non-enthusiast dealer would have the same mindset.
Deinitely, cycling has as much to do with image as anything else for a lot of folks...so what does riding a V-strom say about us? Fat old man that can't handle real HP
DLdeano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 07:52 AM   #161
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Quote:
Deinitely, cycling has as much to do with image as anything else for a lot of folks...so what does riding a V-strom say about us? Fat old man that can't handle real HP
You got a problem with that? What are you saying? You been reading my post on the "weight check in" thread?
Old 01-25-2006, 08:46 AM   #162
RubberDown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by jconli1
Went to a Zook dealer yesterday to look at DR-Zs. Asked how the Stroms were selling, the guy said, "No one buys those pieces of crap. You can't do anything with 'em. I don't know why they bother selling 'em here." I asked him outside to show him mine, freshly covered in clay and mud with Jesses and everything. He replied with a very perplexed, "Huh..."
The salesman probably rides a scooter.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:50 AM   #163
RubberDown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,306
Quote:
Unless you know what you want, the bike doesn't fit a commonly known niche.
I think the problem is most riders (think) they know what they want before ever riding a motorcycle. The guys I grew up with all wanted Harley's and nothing else would do. I asked one of them before he got his license "hey, why don't you try riding some other bikes first before you buy the Harley" to which he replied "I don't like those go fast, lay down bikes like you have"

I was riding a K75S at the time.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:54 AM   #164
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberDown
I think the problem is most riders (think) they know what they want before ever riding a motorcycle. The guys I grew up with all wanted Harley's and nothing else would do. I asked one of them before he got his license "hey, why don't you try riding some other bikes first before you buy the Harley" to which he replied "I don't like those go fast, lay down bikes like you have"

I was riding a K75S at the time.
I had someone refer to my DL as a crotch rocket.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:13 AM   #165
Queen OP
Escapee

Quote:
Originally Posted by McB
I had someone refer to my DL as a crotch rocket.
Same here, my co-workers all think it's "one of those crotch rocket sport things".