Both DL650 & DL1000 66 1.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4560. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #3391
zekester63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeBee View Post
$100 is a little pricy for a radiator guard, especially when you can have the satisfaction of making your own for less than $10!

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2...-solution.html
+1 It's what I did as well. It might not hold up to serious off-roading or bigger rocks, but works great for my purposes, and the price is hard to beat.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:20 PM   #3392
Wickedadv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by zekester63 View Post
+1 It's what I did as well. It might not hold up to serious off-roading or bigger rocks, but works great for my purposes, and the price is hard to beat.

Even at $100 or less, its still easier than this.....

I learned how to braze as a result though.
Wickedadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #3393
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,412
And if your like me and already have plenty projects taking up your time there is a nice $65 (shipped) radiator guard made out of durable heavy plastic by Dan Vessel.

It uses the two faring bolts on the sides, its a nice design and fits very well. Won't rust either. I fabricate my own stuff for other things but, sometimes its worth getting a nice piece and just bolt it on. I guess it depends on how much time you can spare and the quality your looking for. I'm happy with the Vessel guard, its only money right??? I think I may have the bike almost set up the way I want it. In the last few months I've added an ADVarmor skid, GIVI crash bars, Seat concepts kit, Madstad 22", HID lights, new tire, new cush rubbers, grip puppies, radiator guard, kick stand foot, wolfman tank bag, barkbusters, emgo mirrors, and probably a few more things I can't think of.

PS.... here is a link to some Vessel items: http://vsari.com/index.php?topic=4.0
sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #3394
Black Rhino
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic954 View Post
that's a great forum..... if your old, don't like to ride in the dirt, or EVER modify your bike to be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Funny , I'm over there all the time. I'm not (too) old , ride dirt routinely , and have modified the heck out of my bike. Never caught any real grief over any of it.
Black Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 01:47 PM   #3395
mcpenner
mcpenner

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpenner View Post
So I glued it on and I'm feeling pretty good about it now. I don't know if you can see it but the dishing in the original foam comes through in the black foam even though it is not sculpted at all. I little more smoothing around the edges and the cover goes on. I was going to cover it with a thin foam but I don't know if it will need it now.

Before I could feel myself shifting forward just a little, enough to put pressure on my but hair and soft tissue. After 100km it gets painful. Don't feel that forward push now and i don't think this foam will bottom out. If it ever stops raining around here I'm sure this project would speed up real quickly
sorry about the big picture.

Got it all back together now.

Looks OK. Riding around town I'm pretty sure it will not be worse then before, but is it much better??? I will not be able to go for a long enough ride to know until next week some time.

One thing for sure - now that I'm sitting about an inch higher I will be wanting handlebar risers. Will the farkles never end
mcpenner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #3396
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

The stock foam sucked IMO, I had to get that replaced. Seat Concepts has two density options, I went with the standard one. At 250 pounds I find the SC foam plenty supportive.

I'm 6'-4" and hefty, I really benefited from the seat upgrade. Almost have 2,000 miles on it now, much better than my Gel seat.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #3397
togordy
"better than I deserve"

Oddometer: 69
strom

I am now a stromtrooper.....

2007 DL650

Ive had my eye on the Stroms for a while, very happy to have found one.

Now time to farkle!!!
togordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #3398
CarlosDBG
n00b

Oddometer: 7
welcome to the strong side
CarlosDBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:22 AM   #3399
the schwartz
Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
The stock foam sucked IMO, I had to get that replaced. Seat Concepts has two density options, I went with the standard one. At 250 pounds I find the SC foam plenty supportive.

I'm 6'-4" and hefty, I really benefited from the seat upgrade. Almost have 2,000 miles on it now, much better than my Gel seat.

is your bike lowered? I'm looking at that photo (nice btw) and wondering if our bikes really have that little clearance
1978 Suzuki GS 1000 (perma project)
the schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:38 AM   #3400
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by the schwartz View Post
is your bike lowered? I'm looking at that photo (nice btw) and wondering if our bikes really have that little clearance
Geeze I hope not...he is 6'4 like me. I am considering raising links in addition to a 2" taller seat which is being made now.
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #3401
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
Yep. Even after whittling and shaping the stock foam it still wasn't good enough for an all-day seat. I ended up popping for a Sargent and then, wouldn't you know it, SC came out with their V-Strom foam & cover. The SC foam & cover look to compare quite favorably with the Sargent seat for about $200 less.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #3402
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the schwartz View Post
I'm loaded heavy in that pic with a stock rear shock/spring. I'm 250 pounds, then add riding gear, three hard bags loaded, all the bolt ons etc. I still don't drag anything on pavement that shouldn't. I've been putting off a shock rebuild, but I think I'll go ahead and upgrade this winter. I've already done the forks; sonic 1.0's, new seals, about 7wt oil and a fork brace. But, I really need a 13kg or better rear spring. The bike is about right when I have the bags off around town with the rear pre-load maxed. Add any more weight and it sags too much.

Here is another pic taken the same week:

I make all bikes look small an overloaded... I looked really good on a DR650

6'-4" tall around 250 pounds naked, size 14 feet.... The Strom is actually comfortable to me, my bars and pegs are stock. I think I'll change that soon, the grip angle kills my shoulders after a while. My last bike had CR High bends and I never got that shoulder pain, I'm hoping its the crappy stock grip angle.

I need to loose some of that gut.... the jacket kinda holds it in... kinda...

Old 06-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #3403
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Sorry, but just looking at that knee angle makes mine hurt.....one ACL & two scopes tend to make them a bit ....mmmm...sensitive
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #3404
Shunpiker Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Exactly one year to the day: 15k miles.

2013 V-Strom 650
Shunpiker Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:21 PM   #3405
frostbitevinnie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
So I have had bad issues with my hands going numb on my wee. First I thought it might be due to my left fork leaking and causing some weird vibration or uneven suspension. Got new seals installed and still hands go numb. Had new tires installed, the originals from the PO had 2k on them, but were 5 yrs old and beginning to dry rot. Still numb hands. I made 1# end weights from SS and still numb hands. Filled the bars with shot and still numb hands.

After doing more research it was suggested on some forum, maybe here, that I try the bar snake and possibly vibrinators. Well I was able to install the bar snake last night, that was a PITA with the wees high bend bars but I got it. I talked with the owner of bar snake and he told me that if I could find any end weights from an early 80's liter bike that they were lead filled and would be the bomb in combo with the bar snake.

Well I test rode with the bar snake and there is a definite improvement with hwy speeds but my hands still go somewhat numb with speeds less than 40 mph. The local sorezuki dealer said that most likely my front tire is out of round and probably was not balanced. I called my tire guy and he assured me that they balance every tire every time.

So today I bored out my home made SS bar ends and filled them with lead hoping to take out more vibration. So far OK but not perfect. The next item to add is a bar brace from touratec.

Pics of the lead filled bar ends.

Trying to get ready for the MN 300 next weekend. It would really suck to have numb hands for two days straight!
frostbitevinnie is offline   Reply With Quote