DL650 2,691 63.39%
DL1000 1,498 35.29%
Both DL650 & DL1000 58 1.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4245. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2006, 09:03 AM   #31
BBurton
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Big Daddy bike all the way!!!! The wee is a great bike too, wouldn't mind having one as well! I would still ride the 1000 more... it is my preference for bigger engines and more torque.

It is easier to stay out than get out.
Mark Twain
BBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:05 AM   #32
element
Time to roll

Oddometer: 357
Went to buy an Orange

Went to buy a big Orange and end up with a Daddy Strom. This must be the best scoot purchase I have ever made.

FYI, The dealership sales manager couldn't keep his Orange on the road... (unknown to the SM the shop foreman suggested the DL1000)

Out of the box they are solid, dependable and most importantly have diverse capabilities... and if great is not good enough, it only takes small $ to make changes.
element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:10 AM   #33
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,335
I got the 650. Got back into riding in the fall of '04 after several years absence, with a used SV650S. Loved the motor and how it handled, but found I was probably 15 years past full appreciation of a tucked-in-bent-over riding position, and that it wasn't roomy enough for comfortable two-up. I bought the V-Strom for the comfort and riding position, only to find out how much fun it can be off-pavement. I've done 350 mile highway runs, backroad twisties, commuting to work, beer runs with a milk crate on the back, and best of all, sunny afternoons finding out where all the unpaved roads in the area go. Close to 8000 miles in the year I've had it; which is probably 1/2 of what I'd have if there wasn't a wife and two kids feeling neglected when I'm gone. (Actually, the wife would be happy without me if I wasn't leaving the kids with her).

It really does it all well, from puttering along at 35 on a dirt washboard, to cruising down the highway at 80.

Barry
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:23 AM   #34
Uncle Larry
The most suave of stooges

Oddometer: 14,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by McB
....beer runs with a milk crate on the back....
The milk crate motorcycle reborn!!!!!!

Is that a good thing?
Old 01-17-2006, 11:04 AM   #35
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPelon
The milk crate motorcycle reborn!!!!!!

Is that a good thing?
How could it not be?
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:10 PM   #36
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho
I went for a 2005 Daddy Strom a year ago. Couldn't be happier with the choice. Took it over the 650 for the dual exhausts, hand guards, lower spoiler, dark blue color, beefier suspension/swingarm/passanger peg mounts and stronger motor (wheelie factor). Looks a bit better in the fairing area to me, too. I am sure that both are great bikes, but Wee owners are a bit annoying in their claims of greatness

I'd like the Wee's 650 motor in a DR650 frame.

P.S. - value does count. I went for the Strom because I could not afford the KTM 950. Very satisfied with the Strom, even though it was my 2nd choice due to the almighty dollar constraints.

Oh come on Lencho, everyone knows the wee stays up on 2 better than the V.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:29 PM   #37
iDave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman
The low price was a major factor in my decision to buy the 650, but now that I have one I can't get over the feeling that I'm getting away with something. It's simply a great bike, and a steal at the price asked.
Yabbut you never ride,,,,,

iDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #38
WisStrom
Amish Playboy

Oddometer: 153
No complaints

I bought the Wee Strom April 26, 2005. My first bike since 1989 which at the time was a FT500 Ascot. Ive never really gotten into the Cruiser or Crotch Rocket craze. They just never appealled to me, either to uncomfortable or just plain ugly. I've wanted a good inexpensive bike for years, but had family obligations to ensure first. I rode the bike all but 3 days over the summer and did 8000 miles my first year, riding right up until the snow flew. It has been a benefit both on gas, was able to park my truck, and with my family, nice long weekend rides. Overall, no complaints, other than the 150 mile monkey butt stock saddle. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:48 PM   #39
Strombony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
i've got the big strom. this is the best motorcycle i've ever owned.
it does it all, highway, twisties, gravel. i love to explore and this bike lets me go where ever i want. but i i'm preacing to the choir here.
v-stroms rawk!
01 ktm 400 mxc
92 RMX 250, blown up!
Strombony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:42 PM   #40
Mrs Scotsman
nOOb (for now)

Oddometer: 1
Hello from Mrs Scotsman

Hello fellow Adv Riders,

I would like to say a big "Thank You" to everyone who posted comments and advice to my Hubby's "Mrs Scotsman's New Ride...." thread. It was really nice of you and instantly made me feel part of the group.

Don't tell the hubby but last night, I dropped the bike again and this time I broke the left side turn signal. Actually, he already knows about it and is looking for flush mounts (does anyone have a weblink so we can purchase them online). He also bought a couple of Kouba Links so we can lower the bike a little..I think lowering the bike and being able to flat-foot will build my confidence a lot faster.

We're heading to Houston this week so that I can take part in a MSF class. Unfortunately, after the two hurricanes Louisiana temporary suspended all MSF classes.

I hope to see you all on the road (if I can pass this MSF class)...byeee
Cheryl (Mrs Scotsman)

Mrs Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:49 PM   #41
Ride_There
Will ride for bacon.

Oddometer: 3,022
I am really amazed that there is no more damage than that from dropping a Strom. Even with my crashbars and hand guards I would have assumed there would be a lot more scuffs on the tank or windscreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Scotsman
Hello fellow Adv Riders,

I would like to say a big "Thank You" to everyone who posted comments and advice to my Hubby's "Mrs Scotsman's New Ride...." thread. It was really nice of you and instantly made me feel part of the group.

Don't tell the hubby but last night, I dropped the bike again and this time I broke the left side turn signal. Actually, he already knows about it and is looking for flush mounts (does anyone have a weblink so we can purchase them online). He also bought a couple of Kouba Links so we can lower the bike a little..I think lowering the bike and being able to flat-foot will build my confidence a lot faster.

We're heading to Houston this week so that I can take part in a MSF class. Unfortunately, after the two hurricanes Louisiana temporary suspended all MSF classes.

I hope to see you all on the road (if I can pass this MSF class)...byeee
Cheryl (Mrs Scotsman)

Ride_There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:29 PM   #42
FlyingScotsman
Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer: 1,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_There
I am really amazed that there is no more damage than that from dropping a Strom. Even with my crashbars and hand guards I would have assumed there would be a lot more scuffs on the tank or windscreen.
Me too, Me Too.... I'm glad nothing else was broken, scraped or dented, except for her pride and confidence.

edit: Oh yeah, the ball looking thingy at the end of the clutch lever also broke off. But still no scratches to the fairing, etc.
FlyingScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:37 PM   #43
Patriot4570
Trail Blaster

Oddometer: 2,666
Strom

I have a DL 1000 ,I like riding two up with it and like the extra engine size.I test drove a V-Strom 650 at biketoberfest in Daytona and I really liked that bike too.Maybe I will get one of those to add to the stable.

Douglas Mac Arthur
Patriot4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:56 PM   #44
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 951
DL1000, got it back in October.

I'd been set on the 650, thinking that since I wasn't sure what bike I really wanted, I should be looking for something that was a good all-rounder, and shouldn't be spending over $10k (which is where all the other contenders lived). I wasn't really considering the DL1000, because I didn't think the extra benefits it offered were worth the difference in MSRP.

But while I was shopping, I found that one of the better-rated dealers around here was offering a great end-of-season price on the 2 DL1000s they had on the floor. Meanwhile, nobody nearby had a 650 in stock, and it seemed unlikely that I was going to get a similar discount on a bike that somebody had to go out of their way to get for me. So the real-world price difference between the two was much smaller than the MSRP difference.

So I decided to go for the DL1000; I already liked the looks of the big bike better, what with the dual exhausts and colors more to my taste. (I think the combination of the black fairing and black frame looks great.) And I figured I'd probably appreciate the extra power on the highway.

Closing in on 3000 miles, I have zero regrets. This bike is great at everything I want it to do. It's fun on winding roads, a good commuter, and eats up the highway miles with ease.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 03:57 PM   #45
spawnx66
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Scotsman
Hello fellow Adv Riders,

Try this place for flushmounts:

http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/...650_electrical

They have a carbon fiber version too for $5 more. I've never bought from them before, but they seem to have a lot of things for the wee strom.

Don't worry about the drop, we've all done it before and congrats on the great bike! Mine's sitting at the stealership, at least you can ride yours this time of year!
spawnx66 is offline   Reply With Quote