The most suave of stooges

Oddometer: 14,417
More assimilations.

The Collective continues to grow.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:59 PM   #812
CJBDRdude
Dirtyrider

Oddometer: 228
Another guy here with a wee. 2006 silver model. Lots of farkles from Touratech and SW Motech
CJBDRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:57 AM   #813
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Wicked swapped out r1150r for 06 V-STROM IOOO

This thing is a blast !! way better wheelies then my last bike. I really had to catch the beemer off gaurd to get any kind of a wheelie out of it. and then you know its wreaking havoc on that delicate,expensive rear end. the V- STROM will readily go vertical in 1st or 2nd gear with just a snap of the throttle and a yank on the bars, kind of like a really big heavy dirt bike, but at the same time really smooth and comfortable in 6th gear on the slab. I am trying to get it ready to go to death valley daze in late jan. leaving from chico (nor cal) thursday if any strommers are interested? F.D. MERTSDAD@YAHOO.COM
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:27 AM   #814
Forseti
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Hi from Kingston

Just found and signed up on here. I ride a 05 grey 650 and the SO is awaiting delivery on a 07 650 strom.
We were looking to see if there are others near here to ride with.
As it is about 7deg. today we are heading out for a ride in an hour or so. Can't believe it is Jan 1st and a beautiful day to ride! So, of course we have to take advantage of it!!!!

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.
Politics is a pendulum whose swings between anarchy and tyranny are fueled by perpetually rejuvenated illusions.
Albert Einstein
Forseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #815
mobe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Talking

Rode in to work today, (hospital) at 80mph,(interstate), and 29F, (wonder what THAT wind chill works out to?), got a few thumbs up and waves from cagers, but no other bikes on the road. Gotta love that gerbings stuff!
I always make sure to ride on new years day and since I have to work today, I rode to work.
mobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:27 AM   #816
Motopumps
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,644
'07 WeeStrom at the Dealer 'till Spring

Just purchased an '07 in Gunmetal Gray, non-ABS. Still at the dealer. Didin't want to start the warranty until I pick it up in the spring. Judging by the weather out there now, I should not have waited. 50 degrees and partly sunny in Upstate NY! Would love to ride with some of you folks near here and North of the Border in the spring.

Had my deposit down on a silver/blue '06, but was not crazy about the color. Really fell in love with the Gunmetal Gray when I saw it in person.

Have put all the rest of the bikes to sleep for the winter. Suffering from P.M.S.!!!

Great to have this and the VStrom Forum to keep my spirits up!

Ride Safe!
Rob
http://motopumps.com
Motopumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:35 PM   #817
R'oli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Question DL 650 or DL 1000

Ok, I have read it all, but I can not decide...I have a 100km commute to work daily, enjoy the gravel roads but there is plenty of hard top to ride aswell. Currently have a '99 VFR but want a Strom. Seems I can't go anywhere without my 11 year old daughter waiting with her helmet (nice problem to have) So 2 up is important but I want nimbleness for dirt roads.....lets hear what you all suggest...please!!!!!! 650 or 1000 new or used?
R'oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #818
AKStrom
Just call me 'Magellan'

Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by R'oli
Ok, I have read it all, but I can not decide...I have a 100km commute to work daily, enjoy the gravel roads but there is plenty of hard top to ride aswell. Currently have a '99 VFR but want a Strom. Seems I can't go anywhere without my 11 year old daughter waiting with her helmet (nice problem to have) So 2 up is important but I want nimbleness for dirt roads.....lets hear what you all suggest...please!!!!!! 650 or 1000 new or used?
Was out on a weekend excursion with some friends of mine back in June. We went up some major gnarly backroads (paved and gravel) in the woods of the Central Idaho Panhandle, including 23 miles of large-grade aggregate gravel. 180lbs rider was two up with a 6'2 220lb pillion on an 04DL650.

They had no problems as long as they kept it in a low-enough gear and kept it spun up. We were going up switchbacks and inclines that you will probably never see in Ontario, without any issues.

And hey, if you can find one used, go for it.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:11 PM   #819
txgryph
Back from out there

Oddometer: 357
Welcome n00b. It's too late, just go buy a 650 now. You have alread been

Quote:
But seriously, check here http://vstrom.info/ 'bout halfway down the page you'll find several reports from members of the collective who have owned both. Condensed version is if you want nimble on the dirt go for the Wee, if too much horsepower is almost enough then get the V. You can't go wrong either way. Make sure your girl can reach the pegs, and on getting her into it early with ATGATT.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:54 PM   #820
ChuckS
Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer: 639
Buy a used 650. You'll love it. If for some reason you don't love it, sell it & basically break even. For what I do, the 650 is perfect & I'll likely run her until the wheels fall off.

1993 K1100LT w/Ural hack
DL650 K4
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:06 AM   #821
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,564
Quote:
Yup, the Wee. Quite good offroad - i.e. it'll take you even crazy places provided you don't try to do it fast as well, no problems with a light pillion at all. It's NOT a dirt bike, but if it looks like a road, it's probably possible on a 650.
I really have to make an effort to remember that I have one of my kids as a passenger.

Used if you can, they wear well, and you can get one already farked up with a substantial saving over new $$$. If you are definately taking it off road, you can get one with a few scratches for an even greater saving and a lot of peace of mind . You aren't going to care if you add a couple more scuffs right ?

Why the Wee rather than big brother ?, it doesn't have so much power offroad that it's continually ripping the rear wheel loose, and it doesn't have so much engine braking that the rear end always locks solid on those gravel downhills.

Cheers
Peter
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:54 AM   #822
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterW
Yup, the Wee. Quite good offroad -

if it looks like a road, it's probably possible on a 650.
that's a great line. perfectly captures what so many of us have found.
i've ridden mine on ski-area maintenance "roads" [ha!], old mining roads, old logging 'roads'/paths, power line trails, Railroad access 'roads'.
I've only turned back twice, when I could not manage deep hardened ruts that kept trapping the bike [once] and on a VERY steep mountain trail that was basically a bunch of football-to-ginormous ROCKs, downhill...... ouch

not to offend my brethren, but from what others have said so many times [those who've owned both 1000 and 650 stroms] the throttle management and the nimble smooth feel of the 650 make it more capable in the roughs
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #823
ddlewis
squirrel

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen
Just curious, but anyone know why the girl (Queen/Queenie) that started this thread appears to have deleted all her old posts?

Has she gotten fed up and said once and for all?
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:22 PM   #824
AndrewAnonymous
Making things worse.

Oddometer: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddlewis
Just curious, but anyone know why the girl (Queen/Queenie) that started this thread appears to have deleted all her old posts?

Has she gotten fed up and said once and for all?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=queen

AndrewAnonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:15 AM   #825
Marcin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
One more from me :)
I'm a happy owner of 04 DL1000
Marcin is offline   Reply With Quote