DL1000 1,556 34.79%
Both DL650 & DL1000 64 1.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4472. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2007, 07:26 AM   #826
rlucas
n00b by post count only..

Oddometer: 231
Howdy!

'04 Wee, purchased last fall. 50 years of riding experience, and this is by far the best all-round bike I've ever owned.

It came with 45L Givis and TKC80s...I added OEM handguards, Givi crashbars, Hepco-Becker centerstand, a Powerlet, a mount for my eTrex, and AeroTaper bars. Now point me north...
rlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:43 AM   #827
R'oli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Where are all the DL1000 owners

Well, Thanks All! I am getting emails and info from mostly,surprisingly, "Wee" owners...Is this bike that impressive? Having owned mostly large displacement units I find it hard to believe so many joyous 'Wee' owners. If any of you 'Wee' owners have owned larger bikes, please reassure me that down sizing to a 650 (solo use during week) and pallion (daughter) on weekend is not a mistake. Where are all the 1000 owners- they seem to be a quiet bunch......
R'oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:59 AM   #828
ejy712
Quiet Guy

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by R'oli
Well, Thanks All! I am getting emails and info from mostly,surprisingly, "Wee" owners...Is this bike that impressive? Having owned mostly large displacement units I find it hard to believe so many joyous 'Wee' owners. If any of you 'Wee' owners have owned larger bikes, please reassure me that down sizing to a 650 (solo use during week) and pallion (daughter) on weekend is not a mistake. Where are all the 1000 owners- they seem to be a quiet bunch......
We're out riding
ejy712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:04 AM   #829
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Oddometer: 1,979
We are here, but we do not need to justify the decision of buying the WEE, because WEE did not

Quote:

SFS
southforkspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:04 AM   #830
R'oli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Few words...right to the point!
R'oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:15 AM   #831
rlucas

Currently, I own the Wee, an '03 Suzuki Volusia (800cc), a '91 RM250, and an '86 Yamaha FJ1200. The FJ makes 125 crank HP. It also weighs nearly 600 pounds.

The Wee's just more damned FUN and versatile than anything I've ever owned. You'll find that two-up isn't a problem, unless you're talking about extended, multi-day excursions...

The big 'Strom is 30-40 pounds heavier than the Wee, and slightly less suited to gravel-road duty, although still quite capable (slight caveat, here...I ride the FJ on fire roads, too...). Unless you REALLY feel the need for the extra HP, get the Wee. The big 'Strom has had issues with poor fuel injection maps, mid-range stumbling, and rear drive-train problems, at least in prior years. AFAIK, the Wee has had none of these problems.

FYI, the new-model-year Wee is down about 5 HP due to emissions requirements, but I don't hear anyone complaining.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:16 AM   #832
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

By the way, I own both.

Big Strom 13500 miles.

Wee Strom 3200 miles.

That should say enough to help you

Quote:
Few words...right to the point!

SFS
Old 01-14-2007, 08:18 AM   #833
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Ya think????

read my last post, and take a look at my smugmug

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlucas
Currently, I own the Wee, an '03 Suzuki Volusia (800cc), a '91 RM250, and an '86 Yamaha FJ1200. The FJ makes 125 crank HP. It also weighs nearly 600 pounds.

The Wee's just more damned FUN and versatile than anything I've ever owned. You'll find that two-up isn't a problem, unless you're talking about extended, multi-day excursions...

The big 'Strom is 30-40 pounds heavier than the Wee, and slightly less suited to gravel-road duty, although still quite capable (slight caveat, here...I ride the FJ on fire roads, too...). Unless you REALLY feel the need for the extra HP, get the Wee. The big 'Strom has had issues with poor fuel injection maps, mid-range stumbling, and rear drive-train problems, at least in prior years. AFAIK, the Wee has had none of these problems.

FYI, the new-model-year Wee is down about 5 HP due to emissions requirements, but I don't hear anyone complaining.

SFS
Old 01-14-2007, 08:19 AM   #834
the howster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejy712
We're out riding
the howster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:25 AM   #835
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by southforkspeedster
By the way, I own both.

Big Strom 13500 miles.

Wee Strom 3200 miles.

That should say enough to help you

Why do you own both if you like the 1k better?

Sell the wee and ride the V, or is there somthing about the samller one that you like better than the big??

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:32 AM   #836
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

I have friends that dont have bikes, and a wife and daughter that like to go on an ocasional ride.

When my youngest daughter turns 16, I suspect that the WEE will get used a lot more.

I also run Knobbies on the BIG V, and ride the WEE when I am paving it to and from the JOB.

Oh yea, the 1k is just funner to ride and feels more durable then the WEE.

Next

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle
Why do you own both if you like the 1k better?

Sell the wee and ride the V, or is there somthing about the samller one that you like better than the big??

SFS
Old 01-14-2007, 08:46 AM   #837
rlucas

Southfork...was that the PW Bashplate thread? If so, kudos to you, m'man. Ride it...anywhere, anytime, that's my motto. I crushed a chin fairing on the FJ on Forestry Service Road 217 in Tennessee last year.

Adventure touring is just a state of mind.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:13 AM   #838
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Thumb

One and the same

Quote:
Southfork...was that the PW Bashplate thread? If so, kudos to you, m'man. Ride it...anywhere, anytime, that's my motto. I crushed a chin fairing on the FJ on Forestry Service Road 217 in Tennessee last year.

Adventure touring is just a state of mind.

SFS
Old 01-14-2007, 09:47 AM   #839
BBurton
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 501
Quote:

You also gain about 1hp per pound on the 1000 vs the 650. As far as the "Wees" not having issues, it seems that I hear more and more from the 06/07 owners latley who are having some issues. Wiring harness issues, engine knock and "some" FI stumble issues. Not that it really matters...cause "both" Stroms are incredible bikes.

It is easier to stay out than get out.
Mark Twain
BBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:42 AM   #840
maddest max
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I've owned a variety of dirt bikes in my early years.

As I approached being an empty nester, the bike fever bit again.

In my 2nd motorcycle life, I've owned:
KLR650
VFR 800 Interceptor
Victory Vegas (heavy iron cruiser)
Victory Touring Cruiser (heavy iron cruiser)
Wee Strom (only bike in my garage now)

Had fun with the heavy bikes, but missed what made riding fun for me. The Wee is just a blast to push out of the garage, hop on and go. It does long rides, short rides, and twisties great...and doesn't ask me to spend more time polishing than riding. I never get tired of riding this thing. Also the first bike I've owned that I wasn't actively looking for another bike. I bet the big Vee Strom is just as great as the Wee...I just wanted a lighter bike.
maddest max is offline   Reply With Quote