DL1000 1,575 34.77%
Both DL650 & DL1000 64 1.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4530. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #841
GSdreamer
Mtn. Man

Oddometer: 141
New father to a DL1000

I traded in my KLR yesterday and bought a DL1000. I love it and now my GS Dream is on hold indefinitely...... I have already taken the VSTROM off the pavement and was very surprised with its performance.
GSdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:35 PM   #842
Repko
Adventurer wantabe

Oddometer: 538
V-Strom 650

I had the SV-1000. Sold it to buy the DL-650. Just like every one says, "the 1000 has fun boost for a while, then I'll take the 650..." Just more ridable in most situations (around town & dirt roads). & yes other than open freeway.

The mighty machanical wounder, GS is a dream. Not always the best idea, but so much cool German stuff, ya know?
Amazing love (grace) how can it be, that you my king would die for me?
Repko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:40 PM   #843
TinyBear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
New Wee owner here although its still in a crate at the dealer untill april (too mutch snow to bring it home now).

2007 DL650 K7 Red Exactly like the one i sat on at the show were i bought it. I also got the suzuki luggage with mine though.

I too came from a cruiser though but im lucky enuff to still get to ride the cruiser on ocashion and have some one else clean it now LOL (gave it to my mother). I wanted a more touring friendly bike capable of takeing the dirt roads im always passing by. And i got tired of cleaning all the damn crome.

TinyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:20 PM   #844
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by strommin
Now that's dedication!
Fah. Current operative plan has me flying out and riding back over two days. :)
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:09 PM   #845
BigT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Seems like I read a lot of posts about how the Wee isn't so good on the freeway, and maybe I'm jaded 'cuase I'm coming off a KLR 650, but I think my Wee is great on the highway. Super smooth with plenty (for me) of boost to get past/out of trouble spots.

I just picked up this MINT/FLAWLESS '05 650 with 1,700 miles on it, and though it's not much to look at in its current trim, It'll be nice soon enough. I just ordered a set of Givi crash bars, a center stand, peg lowering kit and the MadStad bracket. I'm not sure whether or not to get a skid plate 'cause I'm a little put off by the rediculously high price of $200
I did manage to find another local Strom owner with a 1000 who traded seats with me (I'm 6' 5").

I'm trying not to DUMP too much money into this thing and just enjoy it for what it is instead.

-T

BigT screwed with this post 01-23-2007 at 11:13 AM
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 02:02 PM   #846
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,758
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #847
the howster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Looks good from here. I also came from a KLR650 but I went for the 1K. It is so nice to be able to pass on the hyway,
the howster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:56 AM   #848
Mavisto
n00b

Oddometer: 9
The dirty deed has been done

As of the 5th March 2007 I will be the VERY proud owner of a Black DL1000 Grand Touring (that's the one with full luggage, centre stand, heated grips and hand guards for all those not in the UK). Cost is £6124 on the road with free delivery.

I'll need to take it easy to begin with to get her run in, but a tour of Norway, Sweden and Denmark is already being planned for July 2007.

As soon as I get the chance to take some photos, I will and get them posted on the site.
Mavisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:25 AM   #849
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,363
Bump for new members

Today I was having a talk with a fellow advrider about the Versys and smaller displacement models in general. A DL650 conversation ensued and we felt that the majority of Vstrom owners on here are probably 650 owners v. 1000. Or at least that has been the impression. So in it is interesting reviewing the updated stats, and how the "collective" is populated I hope new members chiime in.

Dale
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:48 AM   #850
NoVA-Strom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Got a 650 back in August. Just started posting on this forum in the past couple of weeks. This is my first motorcycle and I love it. Before I took the MSF course I was gung ho on getting a cruiser, but after the course and riding nighthawks decided that I wanted a standard bike for the seating position. I was either going to go to a used nighthawk 750, or the V-Strom. Glad I couldn't find a good nighthawk cause I love the Strom. However I do have a disease now where I keep buying stuff for the Strom and can't stop.

RIP: Red 06 Suzuki V-Strom 650: Alpenkönig (a.k.a. King of the Alps) 2005, 2006
NoVA-Strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:56 PM   #851
Projectile
Map? What map?

Oddometer: 77
I spent one too many nice weekends in my shop with my beloved ''bikes of character'' while everyone else was out riding. I decided I needed one new (with warranty) ultra reliable, if characterless , low maintenance and very versatile bike to have as a daily rider to supplement the others . I'm not wealthy but bikes ''are'' a priority for me and could consider, within reason any bike I wanted. The only constraint I imposed on myself was to leave ''emotion'' out of it, realizing that it was emotion that had me in the shop wrenching on pretty, but high maintenance bikes on sunny days in the first place.
I needed a large displacement bike capable of long days at effortless high speeds, but also one that I could check out those great looking dirt or gravel roads on, that we see while traveling. Short list......although drawn to the more exotic adventure bikes, their reliability records (in some cases) ''combined'' with their higher costs put them out (remember no emotion!). The DL 1000 seemed like the only ''logical'' choice for my application, so I thought I'd give one a try and see if I could live with the lack of character that I decided Stroms had ? ........ In 8 months I've put more miles on the V-Strom than any single bike I've owned (that's a lot of bikes) and can't seem to pry myself off the thing, I'm even starting to think it's pretty ....and I'm not sleeping at home!

No character? ...No emotion?... I Looove...... ,,,,,,,,,,you ...............V-Strom!!

Projectile screwed with this post 02-10-2007 at 06:28 AM
Projectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:20 PM   #852
Redne Dab
Poseur Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 1,102
Dammit

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203703

I TRIED to resist....
Old 02-11-2007, 06:16 AM   #853
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectile
No character? ...No emotion?... I Looove...... ,,,,,,,,,,you ...............V-Strom!!

That's beautiful man.

Some of the same thoughts that I had when buying the Strom. I to like the bikes with more character an have room in the garage for both. My last few bikes have been more on the practical side and I've found I put more miles on them to. There is somthing sexy about a utilitarian machine, the character comes from the adventures, not as much as the machine itself.

Welcome on board!

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:26 AM   #854
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by R'oli
Seems I can't go anywhere without my 11 year old daughter waiting with her helmet
A problem I'm hoping to have, shortly.
I took my gal out to the local suzi dealer yesterday and planted her on the back of a wee to get her sense of how it felt. Fit like a glove.

Next week I begin the course to get myself weaned from 50cc to something with more juice. Fortunately, I'm big enough that I can flat-foot off the back of the wee without a problem. Will confirm assimilation upon purchase, likely in May.
Moving Pictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:05 PM   #855
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,796
Tank Stickers?

I was thinking of taking those cheap looking stickers off the side of the fairing on the strom. you think just heating them up is enuff ? I tried this a little and they seem pretty stuck, just tiny pieces coming off, no big deal, thought i'd ask. F.D.R.
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote