Both DL650 & DL1000 63 1.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4440. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2006, 01:23 PM   #121
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg
Just got my new DL1000, had it 2 weeks, got crash bars,skid plate,center stand,powerlet,Piaa lights and MP windshield, this bike just gets better and better, I love the power, I,ve gone most of the places I went on my KLR, no problemo.
You may want to add a voltmeter also. I can't run my PIAA 1100X on my 1000 without a lot of draw on the alternator, and I sure can't with heated grips and vest on. The alternator sucks on the 1000 and 650, and I was hoping for a bigger on in 06. I have some trail tech HID lamps on the wee that draw only 13 volts each and added LED brake/tail lights which take very little watts and last a long time too.

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:39 PM   #122
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho
I'm personally against a dedicated Strom area. We are fortunate to already have Strom specific forums like Stomtroopers and such. I like this site because it does include all the Adventure bikes. Just because I own a Strom does not mean I am not interested in the other bikes in this catagory. This site is about all Adventure bikes, their riders and the rides.
Me too. There's enough fragmentation here already.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:45 PM   #123
Vstromper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
I ride the big one.

I use it to get high.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:15 PM   #124
Maxmosbey
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
I don't need a Strom page, I like dominating the "Beasts" page.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:34 PM   #125
basses11
SODBUSTER

Oddometer: 44
Wicked SuperStroms out front!!!

Ah yess the SuperStroms have the lead in the poll at this point.
basses11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 04:41 PM   #126
blueridgerider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Let's just dominate the Beasts Page

Hey, I'm with the "stay with the ADVRider crowd". I already visit the VStrom forums enough for technical and other advice. I like looking at pics of GS bikes under 4 feet of water and reading about KTM's being pulled back up hills to the road.

Quite frankly, I look at the mighty DL1000 as a fast street bike with the versitility to do some off pavement riding. I can have any bike I want, so I didn't purchase the DL1000 to be frugal. I did my homework and it was the bike to fit my riding style. Also, except for the BMW, it has the best aftermarket support of any adventure/touring bike. I've got so much crap on mine now, it's one molecule away from being a Gold Wing.

I travel on dirt and gravel with good friends:

And now I have a comfy seat that can take me from coast to coast:

Life don't get much better!
blueridgerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:05 PM   #127
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,653
Wow this thread sure took off!!!

I'd always kind of figured the there were far more 650s than 1000s here, but it looks to be pretty even, at the moment the 1Ks are even edging ahead in numbers. Crap!! Does that mean that I'm mainstream now?? Guess I'll have to sell......

On the exclusive Strom forum idea I'm going to have to side with those against it, for most of the same reasons. I go to the "other" Strom sites, mostly lurk, get the info I want and then get out. When I come to ADVrider it's as much about a lifestyle and community as it is about bikes. For me, the other formats are like going to a motorcycle lecture, where as ADVrider is like kicking tires at a local bike hangout...far more than just technical aspects. Part of the fun is "meeting" like minded riders that pursue adventure in many ways....including different bikes. I know I miss some of the fun in the GS/950 forums because I don't hang out as often in places where I'm not included....I'll stay in Beasts and Thumpers mostly where it's more of a run what you brung crowd.

As for the scooters getting there own forum, I'll say the same thing I did in Thumpers when someone wanted to start a KLR specific forum:

The scooters got thier own forum because nobody else wanted them.

I seriously doubt it's because they have more respect from riders on this site

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:40 PM   #128
southforkspeedster
koolaidless

Oddometer: 1,979
You said it all!!!!!!

DesertDave,

You said it all, I am in total agreement with you, all the way down to your disclaimer

SFS

southforkspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 06:49 PM   #129
MWValley
Gadget Guy Supérieur

Oddometer: 630
Desert D,

I am totally surprised too. Here in the woods of northern Noo Hampshire, I know of at least 5 local wee Stroms. My effin' litre Strom is the only one I know of in this here part of the forest. Sure made me think the wee's were being fruitful and multiplyin' like jackrabbits. Could be is just a GA. (Geographic Anomaly for the acronymically non-inclinded...)

When life hands you melons, you could be dyslexic.

MWValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:29 PM   #130
RideAboutNow
Banned

Oddometer: 13
I've had this K5 DL650 since January 8th of last year. I love it more every day. I can't say enough good things about it, but you all know how I feel, right? Yes, the stock seat needs to go, but I still need new tires, so that comes first.

A blue booger on Roman Nose Mountain, Oregon.
RideAboutNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:08 PM   #131
Oznerol
The Happy Machine

Oddometer: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave
I'd always kind of figured the there were far more 650s than 1000s here, but it looks to be pretty even, at the moment the 1Ks are even edging ahead in numbers.
I would have guessed that the Wee was more popular, too. But the big bike was introduced a couple of years before the Wee. Maybe that head start is helping it out a lot? It'd be interesting if the poll broke things down by model year as well as displacement.
Oznerol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:48 PM   #132
RubberDown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody
I would have guessed that the Wee was more popular, too. But the big bike was introduced a couple of years before the Wee. Maybe that head start is helping it out a lot?

The Wee will take over in the next couple of years. That is if they go back to black because most folks prefer it over the blue/silver or whatever Suzuki calls it. I'd like to see a Bumble-Bee-Wee.

I think Suzuki should just give us a DL800 and call it good. They could make a street version and a more off-road slanted version with increased suspension travel and better protection.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:32 PM   #133
Squeaky
A Few Loose Screws...

Oddometer: 1,610
I actually wanted a Wee but ended up with a V simply because there weren't any used ones when I was buying a year ago. I wasn't ready to take the hit buying new again, so I got a nice, clean, used 1k for about the same as it would have cost me for a new 650. I'm not at all disappointed.
'98 XR400R "Templeton"

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 03:58 AM   #134
Queen OP
Escapee

Oddometer: 23,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberDown
I'd like to see a Bumble-Bee-Wee.
Now THAT would be SWEET!!
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:16 AM   #135
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberDown

I think Suzuki should just give us a DL800 and call it good. They could make a street version and a more off-road slanted version with increased suspension travel and better protection.
That would be perfect, especially if they could keep the weight down.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote