User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2008, 08:42 AM   #1
greengoose OP
boondocker

Oddometer: 3
KTM 690 enduro/SMC exhaust thread

I know a lot of us want to get rid of the stock boat anchor before before it burns us, melts all our gear, and catches the bike on fire.
Its getting harder and harder to find stuff in the mega 690 threadfest so I thought we could use a place for questions, answers, reviews, pictures, and advice about aftermarket pipes for the 690's.
Specifically if anyone in the know from FMF, wings, or leovince has any info on avaliblity and need for EFI mapping I would love to here it

greengoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengoose
I know a lot of us want to get rid of the stock boat anchor before before it burns us, melts all our gear, and catches the bike on fire.
Its getting harder and harder to find stuff in the mega 690 threadfest so I thought we could use a place for questions, answers, reviews, pictures, and advice about aftermarket pipes for the 690's.
Specifically if anyone in the know from FMF, wings, or leovince has any info on avaliblity and need for EFI mapping I would love to here it

Good idea! FMF looks promising!
Old 07-20-2008, 09:18 AM   #3
Dewtwo
old trail rider!

Oddometer: 63
YES, pipe and mapping knowledge please. My dealer will be worthless in helping to get this kind of info. Maybe some of you guys accross the pond have a leg up on this stuff (maybe filters too) since you've had these bad ass thumpers for alot longer!
Dewtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:09 PM   #4
BigIron
Tenured Prof - Leghump U.

Oddometer: 772
Exhaust

I too would be grateful for any information. I just ordered an FMF Ti yesterday, and my dealer claims a remap is required. Not sure I'm buying it though. I'd rather hear it from you guys.
BigIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
gacksnabbit
Commander

Oddometer: 188
Waiting on my Leo Vince Slip-on. Will post pics and impressions as soon as it bolt it on.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
greengoose OP
boondocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacksnabbit
Waiting on my Leo Vince Slip-on. Will post pics and impressions as soon as it bolt it on.
Im thinking about the leovince myself do you know if it has a spark arestor
Old 07-20-2008, 09:19 PM   #7
greengoose OP
boondocker

heres some linky's

leovince
http://www.leovinceusa.com/cart/sear...=2008&Line=SBK

FMF
http://www.fmfracing.com/products/ca...?CategoryID=31

Wings north america dealer
http://www.alternatecycle.com/wings.html
Old 07-20-2008, 09:55 PM   #8
gacksnabbit
Commander

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengoose
Im thinking about the leovince myself do you know if it has a spark arestor
you know... I think I forgot to ask!
Old 07-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #9
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

I spoke with the salesman that sold me the 690 today and he's much more willing to get the tough questions answered. I should know more about the details of the warranty tonight, or tomorrow. Since I'm optimistic that I'll keep my warranty, I ordered a Supertrapp ISD2 quiet core today

I'll slip it on and do a dyno check to be sure its not running lean but I'll do a before and after session with the stock muffler to be sure. I cored my X exhaust and never remapped, so I'm sure the EFI will compensate to a certain degree.

Anyone here have access to the Akro map?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #10
Dewtwo
old trail rider!

Oddometer: 63
I'm concerned about remapping requirements. Seems to me these pipe builders would have the remapping issue definitively worked out and dialed in for their pipe. After all, they should have done extensive testing and have dyno info for us!
Dewtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:53 PM   #11
woodsrider

Oddometer: 587
Dennis:

Relative to EFI remapping, I posed this question to the service head of a major European KTM dealership when I ordered the Akrapovic silencer. I would suspect that this advice would apply to systems by FMF, Leo Vince, et.al.

His response was that remapping was not absolutely necessary, but (in the case of Akra) it would increase the HP and torque slightly. For me, as long as the bike delivers power equivalent to (or slightly better than) stock, I'm good with that. For my type of riding (gravel roads, primitive dirt roads, etc.), more horsepower is somewhat irrelevant -- just more spewed gravel...hehe. I've lost a few pounds and gotten rid of the "camp stove" heat in the process.

His instructions were to mount the new silencer, start the bike when cold and let it idle for 15 minutes with NO throttle input to let the EFI sort itself out.

Here's some close-ups of the Akra unit.

1997.5 KTM 200LE Jackpiner
'75 Bultaco 250 Alpina (M137)

woodsrider screwed with this post 07-21-2008 at 06:34 PM
woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:39 PM   #12
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsrider
Dennis:

Relative to EFI remapping, I posed this question to the service head of a major European KTM dealership when I ordered the Akrapovic silencer. I would suspect that this advice would apply to systems by FMF, Leo Vince, et.al.

His response was that remapping was not absolutely necessary, but (in the case of Akra) it would increase the HP and torque slightly. For me, as long as the bike delivers power equivalent to (or slightly better than) stock, I'm good with that. For my type of riding (gravel roads, primitive dirt roads, etc.), more horsepower is somewhat irrelevant -- just more spewed gravel...hehe. I've lost a few pounds and gotten rid of the "camp stove" heat in the process.

His instructions were to mount the new silencer, start the bike when cold and let it idle for 15 minutes with NO throttle input to let the EFI sort itself out.

Thanks woods for the info. I'm getting tired of the sky is falling crowd,so its nice to hear some sensible comment. The performance on the 690 is great and like you, I just want to get the heat away from my leg
Old 07-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #13
greengoose OP
boondocker

Thanks for posting woodsrider thats good information. Im also looking for heat/weight reduction more than added performance
Old 07-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #14
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,350
Talking

Quote:
Dennis:

That is a sexy pipe, but for a cool grand it should be!

Same here, I just want to lose some weight and heat. If it gets more power that is cool too.

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:45 PM   #15
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
Dennis:

Did you have a part number for the euro taillight ,o were i can get 1 ,thanks javier
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote