Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #136
onaXR OP
Druid

Oddometer: 2,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBXMan
Hope this qualifies. This started out as a 2003 650L. It belonged to one of my customers that got a little bored last winter and made a couple of changes to the frame and wheels.
I can respect the work done there.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:59 AM   #137
enzorover
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
You mean a windscreen like this one:
The windshield doesn't stop all the wind, just keeps some off my chest. I really don't know if it is worth it, but it does look cool. It will give you some headshake in crosswinds or from large trucks on the highway. With new D606's on the front on my XR650L, it could shake at 65-70 mph, about 5mph lower than without it. A coworker with an XR650L has the same problem. I put a TKC80 up front, and now I can go 80+ without headshake, but still large semis will make the front move around. I'm just telling you what I experienced. In spite of this, I have it on almost all the time, and I have ridden the bike on 400+ mile days.
Thanks for the advice... So you don't think it's worth it? That's interesting. I suppose it's not tall enough.

What kind of recomendations can I get for a GPS and mount? I live over in England at the moment and will be doing lots of traveling in Europe in the Summer so it will have to work there too.

CBXMan:
That is incredible!! Not my style at all but amazing work! Did you do it? It's a nice change from the HD hearted choppers. Bet it sounds incredible with that short header pipe!
enzorover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:38 AM   #138
Medicine Creek

Oddometer: 9,430
it is not my auction and i am in no way affiliated but there is a fork brace on ebay item number 4610966669. i have one kinda like it and it does stiffen up the front.
Medicine Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:46 AM   #139
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,072
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs781
New pic with exhaust and new seat cover. Wish the damn handle bar would show up.

MGS

Very sweet!

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:37 AM   #140
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBXMan
The first thing I added was . . . Avon Venoms . . . never been off-road and the Avon Venoms turned it into a wanna-be road racer.
CBX - What sizes and specific models did you use for the Avon tires? I tried to check out some online, and I think I found the model for the front, but I don't think I found the rear tire size/type you used yet.

Thanks!

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:46 PM   #141
onaXR OP
Druid

Oddometer: 2,087
enzorover I wont bid against you, I will wait for the next one.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:21 PM   #142
OldRider 125
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag
CBX - What sizes and specific models did you use for the Avon tires? I tried to check out some online, and I think I found the model for the front, but I don't think I found the rear tire size/type you used yet.

Thanks!
Gary,

Here's what I used:

Front: 90/90-21 AM41 Venom
Rear: 130/80-18 AM18 Super Venom

The bike really handles well with this set up.

Frank
OldRider 125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:08 PM   #143
QuickMule
Half-fast Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denisesewa
also fits nicely in the XR airbox if you do that mod, you will have to solder some 10 guage wire to the terminals.
Is that inside or outside of the filter? I've got an XR600R, and the inside of the box - inside the pre-filter, but outside of the main filter - still gets pretty ugly and need almost constant cleaning, hence the easy access side cover. Since you're soldering the wire to the terminals I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to goop over the exposed metal with some silicone RTV.
QuickMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:35 PM   #144
Denisesewa
wounded adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMule
Is that inside or outside of the filter? I've got an XR600R, and the inside of the box - inside the pre-filter, but outside of the main filter - still gets pretty ugly and need almost constant cleaning, hence the easy access side cover. Since you're soldering the wire to the terminals I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to goop over the exposed metal with some silicone RTV.
Actually, the airbox is now the electronics box with the filter directly on the carb, I'll carry an extra filter when offroad .
Denise

Denisesewa screwed with this post 02-06-2006 at 07:46 PM
Denisesewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:44 PM   #145
Denisesewa
wounded adventurer

Cry OK guys, girl in distress

I did the " Daves carb mods" which cured the bottom end and now have another problem, the bikes cuts in and out at high revs just like turning the ignition on and off, ran fine at top end before but had a seriose stumble off idle, heres the deal-- supertrap IDS muffler with 12 discs, Pod air filter, 55 pilot, 165 main, slide drilled and needle shimmed .025, all smog stuff gone and ports on carb plugged, sparkplug shows slightly rich. had the carb apart twice and cant find anything wrong.
Anyone have any insight on this?? I'm lost ;(
Denise
Old 02-06-2006, 08:20 PM   #146
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzorover
Thanks for the advice... So you don't think it's worth it? That's interesting. I suppose it's not tall enough. [refering to windscreen] ...
Well, that's not exactly what I meant to say. If one expects the windscreen to provide a Goldwing-like cocoon of still air, one will be very disappointed. It does give more headshake at speed with D606 front knobbies (not just my bike, also a co-worker's XR650L does the same thing). Does it reduce fatigue on a 400 mile day? Probably. Should it be larger? Maybe. Does it keep the bugs of? Somewhat. I test rode a Harley with no fairing or windscreen. With the forward pegs and laid-back position, the wind was trying to rip my hands off the bars. It felt like I was parasailing. Compared to that, my bike is pretty good.
I ride with the windscreen on all the time; I haven't thrown it away. Just don't expect miracles from it, that's all.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 08:32 PM   #147
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Quote:
I did the " Daves carb mods" which cured the bottom end and now have another problem, the bikes cuts in and out at high revs just like turning the ignition on and off, ran fine at top end before but had a seriose stumble off idle, heres the deal-- supertrap IDS muffler with 12 discs, Pod air filter, 55 pilot, 165 main, slide drilled and needle shimmed .025, all smog stuff gone and ports on carb plugged, sparkplug shows slightly rich. had the carb apart twice and cant find anything wrong.
Denise
This is an XR650L, right? Did the problem start immediately after doing the mods, or did it happen sometimes before? Does it happen all the time, or is it intermittent?

My XR650L stumbled sometimes. Then it started cutting out for a short time - from less than a second to a few seconds. I could always restart it. Sometimes it would take 50 miles of riding before any problems, but it got worse so it would cut out 5 times in 6 miles. I went through all the electrical connections, but it didn't help. I finally replaced the CDI "black box" located in the battery box, and the problem went away.

Your problem my be different. My $0.02.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #148
Denisesewa
wounded adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
This is an XR650L, right? Did the problem start immediately after doing the mods, or did it happen sometimes before? Does it happen all the time, or is it intermittent?

My XR650L stumbled sometimes. Then it started cutting out for a short time - from less than a second to a few seconds. I could always restart it. Sometimes it would take 50 miles of riding before any problems, but it got worse so it would cut out 5 times in 6 miles. I went through all the electrical connections, but it didn't help. I finally replaced the CDI "black box" located in the battery box, and the problem went away.

Your problem my be different. My $0.02.
It is a 650L and this started after doing the carb mods, everything else was already on the bike , it doesnt quit running just craps out halfway through the revs and surges on and off, this problem is consistant since the carb work, ran OK yesterday.
Denise
BTW , Thanks for the link ONAXR ;)
Old 02-06-2006, 09:20 PM   #149
Nocturnal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Denise
What is your throttle position when it starts cutting in and out? IIRC 1/4 throttle and under controls the slow circuit and above that is your main. Is the main jet Keihin or is it out of the Dynajet kit, if it's stock that sounds on the large side to me. And what is the air/fuel mix screw set at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas.K.Findlay through crooked roads
well old motor we are leaving here on a long jump again

Nocturnal screwed with this post 02-06-2006 at 09:27 PM
Nocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 09:32 PM   #150
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Quote:
... 55 pilot, 165 main, slide drilled and needle shimmed ....
Do you have one of the "long" or "short" pilots? If you have the long one, did you clearance the plastic cover thing?